1/1000 Detroyat Class DONE!

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

1/1000 Detroyat Class DONE!

Post by Moongrim »

This will be my contribution to the contest.
A 1/1000 Detroyat Class Heavy Destroyer, conversion/scratchbuild.

Parts used:
A 1/1000 T.O.S. Enterprise kit from Polar Lights.
A pair of Federation Models- Colored inner bussard scoops.
1- JT Resin Bridge and B/C deck.
And a Shapeways printed secondary hull. One that I 'designed' converted and had printed out. The schematics were taken from:
https://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/ ... at_upg.jpg

First Photo- Started out, a short while ago. My shapeways print is the item sitting on the red handled band saw.

Second Photo- Some work completed- my shapeways print, turned out to be slightly hollow. This error apparently occurred during the conversion process from my computer to theirs. The result being that I needed to fill in this gap on the notion that it would've been a potential future problem. I removed the Impulse spinal mount and mixed a fairly sizable portion of Apoxie Sculpt.
Next was determining how much of the primary hull was to be taken out to allow my print to fit. Measure once, cut twice- and still too short. Seems to be my motto.

Third Photo:
The primary hull has been sectioned and cut out using some flat snips and plenty of filing. At this point I lined it up with the rest to get a notion of the final product. I've reattached the impulse spinal mount to the secondary and after much labor sanded down the print. The plastic that Shapeways uses to print their products is most resistant to abrasion. Large grit, and plenty of sweat.

Fourth Photo:
This is a few days ago. At this point I decided to reinforce the secondary to the primary using some hand bent brass rod. After getting a drill bit gummed up drilling holes in the secondary I was able to superglue it in. The point being that I wanted there to be more than just the attachment between the two hulls to reinforce their bond. JT Resin bridge kit is attached, along with the lower sensor dome to the lower of the primary. And preps for the navigational lights.
The two warp nacelles have had a bit more work done to them. Prior to the inner bussard scoops, I had to drill appropriate holes to insert the pylon slots into. I never did like the position of the Starship Modeler version of the kit which had the nacelles at unusual positions (https://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/ss_det.htm) So I decided to redo the nacelles into a much more logical positioning.

Fifth Photo. The primary has been glued together using the standard styrene glue. Which necessitates the many clips to close out gaps as much as possible. At this point, the secondary is still not attached to the primary. This is to prevent the very likely possibility of an uneven join.

There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: 1/1000 Detroyat Class.

Post by Moongrim »

So yeah. Five will get you ten, I'll probably get an honorable mention at best.

To me, this is less than winning, than about playing the game. But a little competition does make us strive for better.

I do remember many moons ago, that a scavenger hunt for a Sci-fi convention had some wonderful prizes. Which no one won. Because everyone expected everyone else to enter. And no one did. And one of the things on the scavenger list: A Hershey's Kiss. Of which I had had a few.

Nowadays, I will always try.

So to those who feel intimidated: Go, and try!
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Cullenszoo »

That's really coming along nicely.
Building hand painted dust collectors since 1977
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Cullenszoo »

Your killing me Moon! I'm dying to see how it's coming along!
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Slowly, it's coming slowly. I'll be able to get more work done this weekend.
- J.L.Picard.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Update 04/21/13

This photo is after I've gone ahead and superglued the secondary to the primary, and trimmed the excess as much as possible to the surface, much sanding to get the extra that nippers couldn't reach, and some puttying done.

URL=https://s1124.photobucket.com/user/moong ... 5.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

A close up of one of the warp nacelles. I traced out the warp cap flanges so I could make it easier to sand down the surfaces underneath them. Why? Because I've noticed a tendency that the caps won't fit snugly after the application of primer and paint. This is an experiment to head that problem off at the pass- so to speak. You can't see it too well here, but I've already filed down a bit between the marker marks.

You can see that the curve of the nacelle has become angled, from where I filed. I modified the inside surface of the inside end of the interior bussard with some silver metal tape. Thus the light hits the bussard 'just so' and lights up.

Unfortunately, my camera wasn't meant for close ups. I shall have to locate the instruction manual (yeah right!). In this one you can see the modified nacelle somewhat better. The new mounting spot for the pylon, the blocked hole for the old one, and the shaved under flange spots. The old holes were blocked internally with scrap plastic, some glue applied into the hole and puttied carefully with sanding.

Final photo; Warp engine nacelles attached, and resting upon some support to insure that they don't sag overnight.

I've taken it off the supports this morning, and the two nacelles are only slightly out of alignment- which is an improvement over many of my previous projects. :oops:

A quick balancing check indicates that it's center of gravity will be in the projected part of the navigational deflector, despite an earlier check that indicated it would be further aft. Ah Murphy.
- J.L.Picard.
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Cullenszoo »

That is really cool! Thanks for the update.
DouglasGlenn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by DouglasGlenn »

Very cool. I love to see interesting kitbashes coming along.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: 1/1000 Detroyat Class

Post by Moongrim »

Epoxy-ing in of the support pole; It's not easy insuring a properly positioned perpendicular pole.

Well it looks like I managed to get it in fairly level:

Primed. Now the fun parts begin- finding that which stands out due to the priming.

Aft Details- Double Impulse Engines, which will be explained in the final photo spread. And a shuttle bay in the secondary hull.

It can't be seen in the photo, but the surface of the secondary section is undesirably rough. Even with a couple sheets of sandpaper smoothing. Unacceptable in my opinion. A trip to the local hobby shop for some flat sheet styrene for a proper finish.Image
- J.L.Picard.
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: 1/1000 Detroyat Class

Post by Cullenszoo »

That's one cool looking ship.

Return to “TBG Contest Entries”