1/72 movie era runabout INCOMPLETE

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

1/72 movie era runabout INCOMPLETE

Post by zookman »

i drew up a ship that was a luxury passenger liner way back when next gen was just coming on tv ... been twweking it ever since and was gonna build that but figured what i wanted to do and in the scale i wanted there wasnt enough time to finish it so i though hey lets do one of the small craft from it ... so i got the idea for this from the DS9 runabouts when they first appeared and though i could backdate those and fit them onto my ship as a sort of in system sightseeing craft for taking short ranged in system tours from the main ship ... it is warp capable but not for system to system travel unless they pretty close ( couple days travel at warp 5 max )...

so i had this old amt amtronic kit kicking around partialy built but not painted ( back from my days of buy it ... build it and no painting in less than a day ) ... still got some tweeking to do and a few things to figure out and scratch build .. interior need to be designed and built to scale .. cockpit needs same ... may or may not add a rear docking ring like the motion picture shuttle and pods .. may or may not have front section as a seperate pod sorta like a big work bee type thing so various containers can be used ... may have to re do the window sections so they fit the scale but be big enough for a good view for touring .. need to come up with an impuld drive that wont interfere with rear docking collor should i add one .. also need to locate main engines either above or below windows but probly below along with supporting pylons/structures ...also will include some sort of deflector in the nose just not sure what kit ill swipe one from but possibly a 1/2500 ent d ... lots of other tidbits i may add once i get started lol ...

couple pics to show what im starting with along with a scale figure and one with the DS9 runabout
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: 1/72 movie era runabout

Post by Moongrim »

Oh my goddess. I like the concept. Most intriguing. I look forward towards the final product!
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

I like that! Love the huge window on the front! :)
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

looks good on the car but is way too big for 1/72 .. plus there is a line where the window stops and body begins ya are supposed to paint to ... im probly gonna replace the whole front window section and probly the rear windows too and cut in new ones with some framing so its not so huge but does give good visability .. runabout has basicaly no side visability cept from another crewman who may happen to be next to those windows lol front has very limited visability as well being cut in like they are .... but we will see when i get to that point lol
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

Wow cool find. With movie era nacelles its going to look great. Kinda reminds me of the ship that became the Sydney.
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Cullenszoo »

I'm loving the way your going with this but with the size of the seat's isn't it closer to 1/32 or bigger? I've seen the kit your basing it off of but didn't notice the scale.
Building hand painted dust collectors since 1977
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

its 1/25 ..... original interior is coming out and being replaced with a scratch built one in 1/72 ... got a rough estimate and so far it looks like about 24 passengers in bench style seats and probly 3-4 crew in cockpit
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Cullenszoo »

Sweet! the new seats will make the big windows look even cooler.
Building hand painted dust collectors since 1977
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

big windows will be changed sorry to say ... will be filling in the window sections with sheet stock and cutting new openings in the proper locations ( going by my estimates with some seated scale pilots an from new floor location the original windows would be above seated head level so ya would have to stand to see anything stright out to the side ... front window is also not quite in right location for scale .. once i get things filled in and susch i can then draw in new window locations and then cut those out .. hoping to keep them as big as possible yet not make it look fragile looking ... might also wrap the side windows up over the roof a bit more ...

got her gutted and just have to build the top and lower halve into complete sections tho i may also cut top half in half across the top to help locat windows with interior in place

once thats done its time to figure out exterior details like engine pylon tocation and style and impulse /thruster locations and a few other exterior details like the docking ring details

then if possible ill have to see if i can modify some figures so they look civilian and not military
DouglasGlenn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by DouglasGlenn »

Great idea. Makes me think of a cross between the runabout and the Orion shuttle from 2001.

Return to “TBG Contest Entries”