What to do about Photobucket

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Re: What to do about Photobucket

Postby Tesral » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:16 am

I remember well the Yahoo takeover of Geocities. The heavy handed piratical attitude of that firm in doing so, "Your stuff is our stuff, agree or get no access". I was gone in under a week. I did not have my site solely on the site.

I well remember Topica and the day it was simply not there anymore. The wailing and gnashing of teeth from those that had no backups.

I remember megaupload well, plenty on the site was perfectly legal, but the government heavy hand shut down all of it, guilty or innocent. No trial, not warning, no appeal.

Facebook is talking paywall in the fall for "Some things". Code for "Paywall period in time".

Nothing on the internet is permanent. Nothing us yours unless it is on your computer and well backed up in a open format free of vendor lockin. Windows as a service and let us handle all your data on the cloud scares the !!!!!!!! out of me. "The Cloud" -- is a computer somewhere else you do not control. These are reason I store nothing on "the cloud", and have not used Windows for 14 years.

I have seen the valley of the shadow of data death and it lurks around every digital corner.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

feldon30
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Postby feldon30 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:34 pm

And then you have the SSM forums that delete everything after 6 months. Never have I see such willful destruction of irreplaceable information.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:49 pm

I am a member there and here and I prefer here better for that.
I still spend some time each evening going through some of the older threads as there may be some trick or technique that I will find helpful.
I posted there about my RM Kelvin and since they changed server the thread has gone totally but there are some threads that are older. I now only look there to keep up with things.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:07 pm

mophius wrote:I am a member there and here and I prefer here better for that.

i'm a member at both as well... and I wholeheartedly agree, feels like a more laid back atmosphere here too

mophius wrote:I still spend some time each evening going through some of the older threads as there may be some trick or technique that I will find helpful.

Yes, I hate that their information RANDOMLY deletes - I know a few posts I did dropped off after a month, and some are years old for no reason

mophius wrote:I posted there about my RM Kelvin and since they changed server the thread has gone totally but there are some threads that are older. I now only look there to keep up with things.

same here - that and I haven't received a PM notification (but have had some when I go to the site) in years
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:30 am

What about imgr?

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:05 pm

That is where I am right now. No problems yet.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

MEATLOAFr

Postby MEATLOAFr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 pm

nova1972x wrote:What about imgr?

that's what I've been using for about a year now, faster loading times, and no pop-up ads
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:37 pm

Tesral wrote:Nothing on the internet is permanent. Nothing us yours unless it is on your computer and well backed up in a open format free of vendor lockin. Windows as a service and let us handle all your data on the cloud scares the !!!!!!!! out of me. "The Cloud" -- is a computer somewhere else you do not control. These are reason I store nothing on "the cloud", and have not used Windows for 14 years.

I have seen the valley of the shadow of data death and it lurks around every digital corner.

My thoughts exactly why I have "the cloud." Sorry, no, as long as I don't control it I will not feel safe about my data.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Postby RogueWolf » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:00 pm

I deleted my Photobucket account, to much BS. I'll go the imgur path when I get around to it...
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Has anyone tried downloading their images from Photobucket? I have a lot of in-progress build photos of my Leif Ericson model in an album there that I no longer have on my computer or anywhere else. I tried to download them but all I get is an error message that the download failed and to try again. I imagine they want you to sign up and pay the monthly fee to have download capability but I refuse to pay "ransom" which is what it seems like to me.
Last edited by trekriffic on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “Off Topic”