Showing Models and Judging standards

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Showing Models and Judging standards

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Hey all,

First, this is not sour grapes. I really want to learn and discuss. So please take it as it was meant, plz! :)

I recently went to a couple of shows and showed a few (okay, "ALL" four) of my models. While I am not the most skilled nor do I consider myself a Master builder, I don't think I am near the bottom, either.

At these shows, the model that placed first in the SciFi category was a 3D printed one with no lights and no modifications other than it was painted. The Best in SciFi category was snap together with a weathered paint job. Again, not spectacular.

To be fair, there were some there, not mine, that left me thinking they would win, or at least place, the paint was awesome, the modifications were seamless with the whole model, the lights were balanced in appearance, and the display was spot on - and they were ignored.

Now here are the questions:

1. What are the judging standards for these shows, other than favoritism for builders the judges know?

2. If so, how are models judged between entries?

-- less seams?
-- clean paint jobs?
-- excellent decal application?
-- what exactly?

3. Are there different judging standards depending on who is sponsoring the show?

4. How does a paint job on a 3D printed "model" qualify as a "model" much less place first in category? Is the building in the software the building part? (Not to down play those who sell or make these models; just wanna know)

5. How does a snap together (not bring rude here, I sincerely want to know) with a weathering paint job, again, no lights, no mods, no nothing, qualify as "Best in Category"?

I appreciate your insight and any showing or display tips, or techniques to improve my own showings, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Re: Showing Models and Judging standards

Post by Tesral » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:18 pm

My wife has done model horse shows for years. Decades even. Other shows differ only in model genre.

The only thing I am sure of is the judging is highly subjective. Everything you mentioned is true. Does the judge like the subject. "Ew, another Trek model". How knowledgeable are they? There are no standards. What did they have for breakfast?

I can assure you I would have judged the show differently, simply because I am not that judge, no otter reason.

If, and a pretty damn big if, I ever showed in a show it would be to display my work and screw the ribbons.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Showing Models and Judging standards

Post by kobayashimaru » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:43 pm

Hello Steve!
Thanks for a great thread about the 'behind the scenes'/'post-structural' of what goes into events,
where our models are on display at events etc.
It is an ostensibly under-discussed facet of the hobby of miniature/model-making, and the exhibition praxis/craft
that goes into displaying a model for the general event-goers to see.

I cannot conjecture or hypotheticate on any particular show itself,
I can however discuss the hypothetical of "Judging Schema for different shows, art galleries, collection-grading etc".
in the broader 'academic' context.

-----
1. Yes, this can happen, though usually there are different schema in place.
there are standards, criteria, and 'double-blind adjudicators' or 'best-in-show' also.
Many conventions or shows and events, have these establish after year 6 or so of that convention being a 'thing' (from media-res cross-comparative metadata assay reflection hehe).

So, "Double Blind", "AGI assist on ScreenShot/Review", "Internet Review/Peer and Event-goer survey".
In that last respect, it is very similar to "county fairs" or to "beauty pageants" and shows for livestock or animals too,
in terms of the stringent criteria and 'form'.
Penrose round robin is usually how the double-blind judging is filtered for the score, vs, the "AGI GAH VSRI index",
so, the scores are averaged from that. Usually, there's additional data in the form of Convention/Event Goer feedback,
which is similar to how stuff like the Warhammer painting or CoolMiniOrNot prerogatives go.
To prevent '1-bombing'/'skewing the average", that is then further cross-ref'd against prior meta rating etc.
I definitely want to learn more about this exciting part of how a model is critically-judged.

2. The criteria depends on the category at that event;
In Tabletop Miniatures/open-other-misc/ "detritus-other" (yes, at some AUS model shows, that's the 'any-other category" official title!)
the model is judged under particular viewing conditions and lighting.
it is viewed at 'across the room', 'at arms length', and 'detail inspection', with the judges completing an 'observation remarks report' which can be made available upon request of review.
The model has "structure, appearance, remarks" etc, to try and avoid subjective bias based on subject matter.

Other categories include " Best Model/People's Choice for Popular Figure", "Notable Mention", "Shortlist"
and your different scales.
Models can sometimes be entered in multiple scales.

3. The schema and stadia/qualia and criteria are usually explicitly stated in the competition Terms and Conditions.
There can be some contests, for "Kitbashing" or "Creative Open" category, which specify 'official parts from X,y,z only".
So, in those cases, yes, the standards would be different depending on what model-kit-parts are permissable.

Show Marquee Sponsors are usually precluded from being panelists, judges etc,
as this is a blatant 'conflict of interest'.
They can however be a factor in "Best in Show"/"Honorable Mention" or "People's Choice Award", particularly if they make remarks while talking with the MC/comptroller over the P.A. System etc...
Though, usually, they award their own 'honorable mention prize" and do a photo-op with the winner/s.

4. So, this is a categorization question...
I think 3D-printed models should be entered in their own category, and, if insufficient models entries exist to warrant a distinct category, then they should be entered in "Kitbash-other" or "Open Category", and not directly competing with model-kit completions. I use the analogy "Augmented Olympics"/ "Beauty-Enhanced Beauty Contests"...
it's not fair to enable folks who've had extensive cosmetic surgeries to 'compete' with 'natural beauty', as they're different qualia and stadia.
RapFab and 3D printed are usually judged by different standards entirely - turnaround time end-to-end is often a part.
proof is also much more stringent for 'purist RapFab judging".

Speaking from experience having made my own Borg models at Tabletop, 1:2500 etc,
yes, a lot of work goes into 'mixed media/open category' models.
You've got your lighting, photo-etch decoupage, and your Gels/OHTs, as well as the Vacuu-form or scintilated 'plates',
getting it all to go together to even contemplate an "Honorable Mention" or have a shot at "People's Choice Award",
is very trying and part of the fun hehe. But, I love trying to make better model stuff and learn from the other folks.
I'm not aiming to get a "Best in Show" or a "Best in Tabletop/1:2500" --- the competition is too fierce hehe, though it feels great to be able to say that the competition is there, because that means folks still love making models and going to conventions! awesome!

5. Great question.
usually, a SnapTite/Push-fit model, competes amongst "SnapTite Models"/"Pre-fab".
SnapTite/PushFit 'out of the box' builds, they've historically had a 'newbie' cache and prerogative at many competitive events, as the entrants tend to be younger or new-to-modelling/returning from being away from models.
Having said that, the "Speed Complete" events at HLJ stuff in Japan, they build the SnapTite on the day-of,
that is what they can do on-site. This is actually really tricky when you think about it... and, such "Speed Complete" events have revolutionized the perception of "SnapTite/Push-Fit Electronics".

It doesn't usually compete in a say "1:2500", but sometimes does in "Open/Kitbash" and "Misc" stuff.
This tells me that, the biographical data for each entry is not known by the judges necessarily, so they don't know how a model was formed... which is not so good. It should be on the entry data sheet, like at an Art Gallery, Art Fair etc,
so as you can group and compare/juxtapose better.

Thanks for reading!
I tried to be brief, but these were complex questions hehe :borg:
I hope we get a 'truncation/spoiler partition' button in future for AST, so as these can be 'partitioned' hehe.

Return to “Off Topic”