Favorite Music

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Favorite Music

Post by dJiPi »

Tangerine Dream ;)
dJiPi the froggy
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

Looks like we share a number of composers in common:

James Horner: I love anything he ever composed and, like you, I immediately notice motifs that are similar in his scores. In fact, I was watching Krull the other day and heard familiar tunes as it some of the music was similar to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Alan Menken: All of his Disney scores and songs. Each one has a song that is memorable and, I will admit, I sing along when I listen to them. One of my most favorite is A Whole New World from Aladdin.

Hans Zimmer: The Lion King and Gladiator. I bought the More Music from Gladiator CD as well. Man of Steel. He managed to make me forget about John Williams' score with the theme his new theme for Superman.

James Newton Howard: Atlantis and The Dark Knight.

John Powell: All of his scores for How to Train Your Dragon (I'm glad to see he's back to compose for the third one). I also enjoyed his score for Solo: A Star Wars Story.

John Williams: Is there any score not to like from him? Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Close Encounters, Superman, Harry Potter, ET.... I will quote something that Christopher Reeves once said about the Superman theme by John Williams: "Superman's powers would be greatly diminished without the score by Mr. Williams."

Danny Elfman: Beetlejuice, Batman, Alice in Wonderland, Edward Scissorhands, Justice League. His music also shares motifs that make it identifiable as his.

Basil Poledouris: His score for The Hunt for Red October is unforgettable.

Alan Silvestri: Back to the Future
Last edited by TrekMD on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

dJiPi wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:29 pm Tangerine Dream ;)
I like them. Good relaxation music.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Gents,

We do share alot of composers and scores!

James Horner, Alan Menken, Hans Zimmmer, James Newton Howard ("Dinosaur" is one of my favorites), John Powell, and, what list would be complete without the great John Williams!

All the above mentioned score plus scores (didja see what I did there?!) of other composition these gents have made that remain on my playlists.

But I also noticed a few absences of composers:

Michael Giacchino and his beautiful work on Star Trek (2009) ST Nemesis, and ST Beyond. Notable tracks include "Enterprising Men" (2009), "Kirk Enterprises" and "London Calling" (2013) and
"Night on the Yorktown" (2016). Plus his work for Jurassic World, SW: Rouge One, Doctor Strange, John Carter of Mars ("Get Carter","A change of Heart", and "John Carter of Mars" - End titles) and The Incredibles make him a worthy successor to John Williams!

Some others would be:

John Ottman - I love his work on XMen and XMen:Apocalypes; especially "Pyamid Collapse and Main Titles" is awesome! I love his "John Williams-esque" Superman Returns score. His motifs and
character themes are truly wonderful and complement Williams' original score seamlessly - which is more than I can say for Ken Thorne and his failed Superman 2 score.

David Arnold with his Stargate and Independance Day scores are legendary - and these were before his foray into the Bond film scores!

Howard Shore with his Academy Award winning socres for the LOTR! Best track is "The Lighting of the Beacon."

Harry Gregson-Williams - The Chronicles of Narnia and the beautiful Prince of Persia - notable track call out is "Destiny"

Rupert Gregson-Williams (Harry's brother) - who most recently did the astondingly gourgous soundtrack for Wonder Woman! Love the tracks "Amazons Of Themyscira" and "History Lesson" are beautiful!

Steve Jablonsky - Gears Of War, The Island ("My Name is Lincoln") and most, if not all, of the Transformer movie scores! I really like "Arrival to Earth" from the first movie and "Infinite White" from Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Not to mention composers for ST:TOS, Fred Steiner, Sol Kaplan ("The Doomsday Machine"), and Alexander Courage. These men shaped how we hear Star Trek. Roddenberry told them to make the soundtracks sound like "Captain Blood" by Erich Wolfgang Korngold
who scored Errol Flynn's "The Adventures of Robin Hood"; the score of which was groundbreaking in it's own right.

And last, but certainly not least, Jerry Goldsmith; the man/composer who is as tied to the Star Trek universe as much as John Williams is tied to the Star Wars universe. The motifs he penned for ST:TMP set how a generation
percieves Klingons, Beautiful bald-headed aliens, and the very Starship Enterprise herself - in one film! "The Klingon Battle" became TNG Worf's theme, "Main Title" theme bacame TNG's opening sequence music, and "The Enterprise" and "Leaving Drydock" are
used incessantly in videos displaying any completed TMP or later scale model. He is as much Star Trek as is Roddenberry or the great Gene L. Coon!

Okay. Enough is enough. I listen to these composers music on nearly a daily basis; the music helps me isolate my thoughts at work and concentrate on a task.

I'll probably have another post to highlight themes and motifs of characters.

I love this stuff!

Thanks for reading!

Steve
TrekMD

Post by TrekMD »

All another great group of composers. I didn't have time to sift through my entire collection of CD's to make the list (or my music player!) Glad you listed these additional composers!
WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein »

I was rewatching Castle in the Sky the other day and thought of another composer: Joe Hisaishi, who scores Miyazaki's movies.
TrekMD

Post by TrekMD »

Those are really good scores too. The Studio Gibli music is nice too. I did get the score for Arrietty The Borrower. That music is by Cécile Corbel.
WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein »

Not to spam the thread, but I thought of another: Christophe Beck. I loved his score for the Muppets.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

WarpNein wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:34 am Not to spam the thread, but I thought of another: Christophe Beck. I loved his score for the Muppets.
More recently, Christophe's score for Frozen was equally good. I loved the accapella voices coupled with the orchestra. Beautiful!
TrekMD

Post by TrekMD »

I've started rewatching a show called Everwood and the theme music is simply a beautiful melody. It was composed by Blake Neely. It turns out he's done a lot of work for The CW. He's written music for Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, among others.

Return to “Off Topic”