Stargazer (final pics page 8)

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: Stargazer

Post by Steam235 »

Yup I found this on a theRPF thread.

When you look at the lower saucer you can see the round wondows that are around the sensor array and the landing pad rectangles from the lower saucer.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

I think you might have the top prize with this one buddy!
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

trekriffic wrote:I think you might have the top prize with this one buddy!

Thanks! But I'd be surprised. This contest really has more incredible builds than I've seen elsewhere at once.
Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Julien »

Fantastic build ! Nice scratchbuilding !
The Belgian Builder
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

With primering done I mixed up a coat of paint that I thought served the ship well.

Here she is with her base hull color applied and the masking around the lit parts removed.
And of course lots of lit pictures! My camera really reacts oddly to the wavelength of the blue LEDs I'll try and use a different camera tommorow.
completed (1).jpg
completed (2).jpg
completed (3).jpg
completed (7).jpg
completed (8).jpg
completed (9).jpg
completed (11).jpg
completed (12).jpg
completed (15).jpg
completed (16).jpg
Last edited by Steam235 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Inspiring, Steam. Excellent job!
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Beautiful work!

I have one of the old Klingon Armorer vacuform kits sitting in my Closet O' Doom. Watching what you've done is really making me want to pull it out and work on it.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Lonewolf wrote:Watching what you've done is really making me want to pull it out and work on it.
Easy there big fella!

Regarding the Stargazer - I like the searchlight on the top/front of the ship. I'm curious how you achieved the lighted blue lines in the nacelles.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

slawton wrote:
Regarding the Stargazer - I like the searchlight on the top/front of the ship. I'm curious how you achieved the lighted blue lines in the nacelles.
There were two methods used. On the inner facing nacelles I sprayed enough black acrylic paint on the grill to block all light from coming through. Then I wet sanded off the black paint with 400 grit sand paper, leaving black paint only in the recesses.

On the outside facing grills, the ridges weren't sharp enough to use the same method, so i sanded down the ridges. then I used left over pin strips from this set (https://orbitaldrydock.com/Paint-Masks/ ... it-windows this is a really great set of masks to have, if you have it you'll find uses for it's pin stripes and precut circles in all sorts of projects. ) I then sprayed enough acrylic to black light and removed the pinstripes. I still have some clean up to do on the outer grills, so that the lit blue doesn;t extend to the edge of the grill. THen I airbrushed clear blue over all the grills.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

No aztec painting on this one. instead I've accented the grid lines, and added a very subtle "rust ring" I really didn't see any pictures of the ship that showed any aztec pattern.
Last edited by Steam235 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”