NEVER turn your back on a Breen (final pics p 6)

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Re: NEVER turn your back on a Breen

Post by Kratok »

Sorry, no pics this time. Image

Just updating that I have finished painting the battleship, and am working on the frigate. I may actually FINISH these....

Well, finished painting as far as the detailing. I still have weathering and clearcoat (maybe some small decals if I have time). So, still opportunities to trip at the finish line, but I am pumped that I may actually get them done by end of contest!Image

Working on backstory - hope to post everything in a week or so.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: NEVER turn your back on a Breen

Post by RogueWolf »

Cool, I'm really looking forward to the finished products!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
Kratok

Re: NEVER turn your back on a Breen (FINISHED)

Post by Kratok »

1a.png
1a.png (12.01 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
Even by the 24th century, very little was known about the Breen Confederacy. Although the Federation was aware of limited Breen outposts along their borders, the Breen historically were restricted to a relatively small area of space around their (reportedly) very cold homeworld. Breen privateers had been known to conduct raids against other Alpha Quadrant species, and to use survivors as slave labor in the dilithium mines on Dozaria. However, these raids were infrequent, and never clearly confirmed as sanctioned by the Breen Confederacy.

This isolationism had in the past resulted in a general underestimation of the Breen. The Klingons were the first to discover this, when the Klingon Second Empire sent an entire fleet to conquer the Breen Homeworld. The fleet was never heard from again.

The Federation also paid a price for underestimating the Breen. Shortly after joining with the Dominion in 2375, the Breen moved from a policy of low-level hostilities toward other major powers to one of open warfare. An attack on Earth shortly after the alliance resulted in significant damage to both Star Fleet Headquarters and San Francisco. Shortly thereafter, the Second Battle of Chin'toka saw the introduction of a previously unknown Breen energy dampening weapon. This weapon could completely drain all the main power systems of a starship, leaving them completely vulnerable to the fleets of the Dominion. Losses to the Federation fleet and her allies were extensive.

These losses continued until the Federation finally did create a defense against the energy dampening weapon. As the tide of the war began to turn, the Breen official Thot Pran required reassurance from the Dominion that, instead of retreating, they were in fact regrouping and attempting to redouble their shipbuilding and replenishment efforts.

The Breen Confederacy had been awarded several planets that were previously part of the Cardassian Union as compensation for joining the war. Extensive shipbuilding facilities had been constructed in some of these systems. True to their word, the Dominion assisted in starship development at these shipyards, and the Federation soon began to encounter several previously unknown Breen designs.

The workhorse of the Breen Navy had been the Chel Grett cruiser, classified by some as a battlecruiser. This was the primary Breen ship encountered up through the Second Battle of Chin’toka.

Thereafter, a smaller raider type of craft began to be observed away from the front lines. This craft was eventually identified by Star Fleet Intelligence as a Plesh Brek frigate.
2.png
The similarity of the roles assumed by these raider/frigates led many to suspect the previous Breen raids on outlying posts had been, in fact, sanctioned by the Breen Confederacy. Surprisingly well armed and maneuverable, these raiders proved a thorn in the side of the Federation and her allies even after the cessation of hostilities with the Dominion.

Of greater concern was the appearance of the Gel Chak battleship.
3.png
The alliance with the Dominion had provided the resources the Breen needed to construct a front line capital ship. With a full complement of torpedoes, heavy disruptors, a small complement of Bleth Choas fighters, and the energy dampening weapon, the Gel Chak was capable of standing toe-to-toe with anything the Federation and her allies could field. It was long suspected that some Breen ships also carried cloaking devices, and this was confirmed with the Gel Chak. The energy dampening weapon carried on the Gel Chak was also modified to fire on a series of alternating frequencies, allowing it to occasionally overcome the countermeasures developed by the Federation.

Fortunately these ships were produced in only very limited numbers. The exact number remains unconfirmed, although three were ultimately destroyed during the final battle of the Dominion War at Cardassia Prime. It is suspected that one or more may have been hidden within the Breen Confederacy after the Dominion’s capitulation. Starfleet Intelligence remains vigilant, watching for any signs of these craft along the borders.
4.png
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had a lot of fun building these.

I usually strive for as much authenticity as I can. In all honesty, sometimes that takes a little fun out of the modeling process. It felt good to stretch my legs a little with two ships that are not canon, which offered me some creative freedom in the designs. Again, from the outset my goal was to build something recognizable as the subject ships, but not worrying about getting every last detail to match the reference photos. If the truth be known, the reference photos don’t even match one another!
PB_006.png
PB_010.png
PB_009.png
PB_007.png
PB_005.png
PB_004.png
PB_003.png
PB_002.png
PB_001.png
This is also the first time I have ever entered a contest. I think having a deadline helped push me past my major roadblock. I almost ALWAYS trip when I hit the painting stage. Knowing that I needed to get these done by a particular date helped, and I tried to budget a little time at least every other day. Even if it was only 10 minutes or so.
GC_007.png
GC_010.png
GC_001.png
GC_003.png
GC_004.png
GC_005.png

In a perfect world, without the contest, I would have probably looked into getting the vinyl paneling cut at a shop. Because of the time constraints, I did it all by hand. It is not as detailed as it could have been if I had had it done by a machine. But you know something? I am OK with that. Without the contest, I would have struggled to try to match all the colors to the digital “studio model”. I decided to go with out-of-the-bottle color choices instead. I probably would have tried to mask each of the tiny panels to get the sharpest possible lines, airbrushing each color one at a time. Instead, I freehanded all of the painting on these models with a very fine (00000, I believe) paintbrush.

And I actually FINISHED the project.
And it actually looks pretty nice on the shelf (at least to me).
BOTH_001.png
If and when Xen announces another contest, I hope to have the opportunity to enter again. Good Luck to everyone still working on their entries. If Real Life issues required you to back out of this one, I hope you give the next contest another try.

I still need to do a Breen cruiser, and there is a destroyer I want to give a try. MAYBE a carrier. I will post here if/when.

My thanks to Xen, Multiverse Models, and everyone else who made this contest possible.
My thanks also to Jasonius, without whose gorgeous 1:2500 Breen Cruiser model I would never have gotten these built.

Anyway, it really has been a blast, and I hope you all have enjoyed this little trip to the Breen Confederacy.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

Very nicely done! I so want to hack up my Breen kits so I can copy what you have done. What would be nice is if someone were to kit these designs!

An awesome job Kratok! My hat is off to you!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

I saw the finished pics last night on my iTouch but waited until I could view them on my bigger laptop screen before commenting. Very nice job. Your paint work is exceptional. You actually make me want to go out and buy a few of these kits and I wasn't much of a fan of Breen designs before.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Exceptional- is exactly what I thought of when reading through both the backstory, the final product, and the displays.

This has my #1 vote.

Well done!
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Did not disappoint :) Bravo, Kratok! I'm with RW, someone should kit these
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by cannon fodder »

Those are absolutely awesome.

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”