Klingon Bird of Prey (final pics page 9)

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: Klingon Bird-of-Prey

Postby Steam235 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:30 am

It is incredible. I'm still not quite sure how the wires reach into the wings but it is just FANTASTIC!

harristotle
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby harristotle » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:38 pm

You never cease to inspire me! Your work is amazing :D
"I'm your huckleberry"

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Steam235 wrote:It is incredible. I'm still not quite sure how the wires reach into the wings but it is just FANTASTIC!

Thanks Steamer! Here's a photo showing the wing wires encased in heatshrink tubing as they pass thru a brass tube into the fuselage on each side. The tubing prevents any abrasion of the wires:

"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:06 pm

Weekend and holiday progress:

Here's the base. A size K plug is epoxied to the top of the tube which is made from Evergreen plastic tubing slid inside a brass tube. The base has a size M jack. I got the base at Michaels craft store and sprayed it with Tamiya Black lacquer over Krylon grey primer.. The tube is glued into the base using 5-Minute Epoxy followed by JB Weld:

The model on the base:

More work under the neck...

Triangular brackets for under the neck. Made from styrene strips grooved using a scribing tool. Sprayed with Tamiya silver:

Triangular brackets glued in place with Plastic Surgery glue then painted SAC Bomber Green:

The kit has molded stairstep panels that didn't really match the look of the rectangular framed louvered panels in the screencap so I made new panels using styrene sheet and some leftover strips of brass photo-etch. The panels were sprayed with Tamiya black and silver lacquer before being brushed with MM SAC Bomber Green enamel:

I filled the stairstep panels of the kit with AVES and after drying overnight filed and sanded them to provide a nice flat surface to which I glued the new panels using CA:

Engine light test. This image was taken before I add the "milk jug" plastic diffuser panels between the engine insert and the LEDs. The difference this makes is quite dramatic as you'll see in a forthcoming photo:

Anyway, that's it for today. Thanks for any comments!

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 am

:eek:WOW :eek:

harristotle
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby harristotle » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:51 pm

Where's the forthcoming photo!? lol looking great!
"I'm your huckleberry"

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:38 am

Mighty fine attention to detail. I bow down before the master...
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:17 pm

:-o :shock: :jawdrop:

Bravo! Dare I say your build is "trekriffic"?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:16 am

Thanks guys!

Here's the diffusion material cut from a Cafe Steamer meal bowl:

After trimming to fit the panels were brushed with Tamiya transparent red acrylic:

Some of the armor paneling detail around the mouth of the photorp emitter seemed a little soft to me so I cut new panels from styrene sheet to glue over the top of the kit panels using "Plastic Surgery" glue. First I had to scrape away the layers of paint to get down to the kit plastic. The glue dries in about 5 seconds so you have to be quick to get the panels aligned properly before the glue dries:

The new armor plating done:

Shifting gears...

The photorp tube was glued into position under the neck:

The cloaking generator ring was weathered and test fit. May be a little too weathered:

I mix my paints on aluminum foil for the various accent colors:

Looking at photos of the studio model revealed some details missing from the stern walls in front of the warp/impulse engines. Styrene strips were cut and glued to the sides:

A rectangular panel of grooved styrene sheet was trimmed to fit over the putty filled gap at the top edge of the warp engine insert. This matches the studio model:

The first round of weathering was completed by giving the model a brushing with thinned black enamel with a little neutral grey mixed in. I used tired mineral spirits from my brush cleaning jar. Fresh thinner woudl be too strong and destroy the underlying paint layers:

Some rust panels and accents were added:

The new diffusion panels give the engines a more even glow:

After a few days I'll go in with a rust wash in selected areas. Then she dries for a few more days, gets a shot of Dullcote to seal, then I start in with some pastels and ink pens.

I gotta say guys weathering the KBOP is a blast. It would be easy to get carried away; contrary to what one might think, if you try hard enough, it is posssible to overweather this ship.

;)

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Postby RogueWolf » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:36 pm

I can't beleive how much work you have put into this build! I can't wait till Christmas Morning to open this up from under the tree. Realy, you shouldn't have! All this fuss for little 'ole me. Now, what should I get you?

I know!

SOCKS!!!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”