Kazon Torpedo Scene from Voyager WITHDRAWN

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Owen E Oulton
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Kazon Torpedo Scene from Voyager WITHDRAWN

Post by Owen E Oulton »

This is technically a new build and has not been entered in any contests, though I have mentioned in the Miscellaneous Scale section. Basically, I had an old, mostly assembled but un-seam-filled or sanded stock Kazon Torpedo kit which was missiang one engine module. I cast a copy of the other (identical) module and opened a hatch. I took a bunch of finished and semi-finished figures and modified some of them and repainted them. I also dug out an old project I had started when I was active with MMI to add to the scene, as APM Worksuit from the STTNG Enterprise-D Tech Manual. This contains the one stereolithographed part, STLed and SLAed for me by my partner at MMI, John Fleming. That part is the helmet for the AMP (Augmented Personnel Module). The APM is Rick Sternbach's derivation of NASA's old "bottle suit" concept. A similar idea (but with legs) was used in Kenner's old Major Matt Mason toy line back in the late '60s/early '70s. Voyage carries two of these APM Worksuit modules. They are launched from the two hexagonal hatched on the bottom of the primary hull, ahead of and flanking the deflector dish, according to the Voyager Tech Notes for the series, which are available at Cygnus-X1.net.

The idea is simple. In the episode Maneuvers the Klingon wannabees used a special armoured attack shuttle to ram into Voyager's hull and board the ship. Luckily, the attack was defeated. In this diorama, I depict the crew evaluating the damage to Cargo Bay 2. I am not going for a slavishly accurate model of the Voyager sets, but rather a general impression of a Starfleet Cargo Bay. The characters will hopefully be recogniseable. I know it's not required, but here's a screenshot of the scene:
manuvers_135.jpg
manuvers_135.jpg (93.3 KiB) Viewed 3241 times
Last edited by Owen E Oulton on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owen E Oulton
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Kazon Torpedo Scene from Voyager

Post by Owen E Oulton »

SANY0008.JPG
SANY0008.JPG (71.33 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
Here's my "beginning" shot showing the materials. Most of these were old abandoned or repurposed elements from other models. The walls are styrofoam board, the torpedo is stock except as mentioned above and the figures are also mentioned above. The walls will be clad in .040" styrene and sheet aluminum. The doorway frame is resin and will feature a stereotypical octagonal Star Trek bay door.
torpedo.jpg
torpedo.jpg (43.84 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
Here's the torpedo . The white engine is the casting to replace to missing obe. The hatch Torres is seen inspecting in the opening post has been cut open and a new edge made from .015" styrene to replace where I had to drill.
figures.jpg
figures.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
OK - Here are the figures in the process of being repainted. From left to right: an unnamed ensign; Vorik (or is that his twin Taurek- whichever was on Voyager); B'Elanna Torres; Harry Kim; Tuvok; Kathryn Jameway; Chakotay; Tom Paris; Samantha Wildman. Note that Chakotay does not yet have a combadge and I haven't done his tattoo yet.
apm.jpg
apm.jpg (48.87 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
The piece de resistance - The APM Worksuit. The body is scratchbuild from .040" styrene, the arms were resin cast from masters I made from styrene strip, the helmet is SLAed, and the figure is a resin figure cut off at the hips.

All figures were originally made from Airfix Multipose WWII figures in 1.32 scale, modified by plastic surgery and heathyy postions of Aves. Combadges are photo-etched brass.

Many of the background bits in the first photo in this post will not be in the final diorama - they were just there to help me rough-out the idea.
SingleMind
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SingleMind »

I love that "space suit"! Star Trek should have more "mecha" and I saw this in the misc section. Was looking forward to seeing it progress.
Confidence - that feeling you get right before you fully understand the situation.
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Post by Kratok »

Owen, I love this.

Dioramas bring a static model display to life. Since it was only seen in this one episode, what better way to display the torpedo!

I also wish I had your Aves-fu. I tried something similar at one point in time, but my .....results......looked nothing like your figures.

This should be a fun build. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

I concur with both of the above.

And I love that Repair/Evac suit.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Owen E Oulton
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Thanks, guys.

BTW, The APM Worksuit should be out eventually from MMI.
aurora-7
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by aurora-7 »

Very, very neat!
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

This has the potential to be something really special. Nice work on the figures and the suit!
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Owen E Oulton
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Sorry, gonna have to face facts and pull out of the contest. Not gonna make the deadline. Several personal and logistical issues have lead to this, but I will continue on with the project and will keep the board posted. Good luck to you all!
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Dang! I was looking forward to seeing this finished. :(

Can't wait to see your further progress. I will watch for your thread.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”