UES Constellation - NCC-1017 INCOMPLETE

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Location: Bargersville, Indiana, USA, NA, Sol III, Terran System

UES Constellation - NCC-1017 INCOMPLETE

Post by FatherRob »

With great trepidation, I am embarking on the contest entry, and will be working on creating a precursor to the starship Constellation which I built last year. (See: https://stellarcross.blogspot.com/2013/1 ... plete.html for that ship.)

REAL WORLD DETAILS: I came across a copy of the 18 inch AMT Enterprise at a garage sale recently. Some of you will recall that, about two years ago, I also found one, but that my son managed to break it the day before it was to be primed. This time around, however, I am planning a few more radical departures.

1) I am rescaling this model from the 1:631 that it measures out to be to the approximate 1:537 of the AMT refit kit. In short, it is my intention that this model will represent a much earlier Confederation cruiser class, dating from approximately 50 years before the refit Constellation I built last year.

2) Rescaling will mean a few things. First, I plan to use the AMT innacuracies to my advantage in creating a visually distinct vessel. That said, I also plan to re-jig a lot of stuff, including windows, to sell the scale of this vessel. She is meant to be smaller, with a crew around 200. My refit has a crew of 500.

3) I will be making use of some aftermarket parts to modify the look of this ship. In specific, I will be using JT-Graphics' replacement end caps both fore and aft on the nacelles in order to facilitate (gasp) lighting. Unless the lighting project becomes cost prohibitive, I intend this to be my first lit model. Yes, I am scared to death of committing to that, but I am going to try it.

4) I will be making heavy use of aftermarket decals on this puppy... my usual suppliers, JT-Graphics and JDecals will be consulted. The visual look of the ship will be similar to my UES Kongo build, but with a few changes to represent the change in era.

FAUX WORLD INFORMATION

The UES Constellation was Horizon class exploratory cruiser, one of the early cruiser designs launched by the United Earth Interstellar Confederation. The ship was launched in 2177, and was lost in the line of duty in 2226. The vessel, which measured 805 feet in length, featured accommodation for a crew of 200, with space for approximately 20 guests. In an emergency, the ship can serve as an evacuation platform for an additional 200.

The ship was designed with a 2.5 year operational window without major resupply, which enabled the Constellation and her Horizon class sister ships to begin probing outside of the generally-recognized bounds of Confederation space.

After her loss in action, the name, hull number, and honors of the Constellation were transferred to the next similarly classed starship in construction, the fourth ship in the Exeter class of Heavy Cruisers, which was launched in 2234. That vessel was scrapped in 2266 as a result of irreparable damage sustained in combat. Currently, the third starship Constellation is in commission; the lead ship of the Constellation class heavy cruisers, launched in 2270.

PICS TO COME SOON.
FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: UES Constellation - NCC-1017

Post by FatherRob »

So, I tried uploading pictures today from my iPad, and they say they are too big. Anyone know how to shrink an iPad image in terms of MB?
ulvdemon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by ulvdemon »

May need to upload them to a file sharing site like Photobucket or Flikr and then link from there.
Current Build: Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-14D

On Hold: 1/48 Revell Mig-21PFM
Completed: 1/420 USS Defiant
Completed: AMT 1/650(?) USS Enterprise
Completed: 1/72 Bandai VF-1J
Completed: Linbergh's USS Gato
FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FatherRob »

Here is the kit. I will be replacing some parts, but they haven't arrived yet. Replacing nacelle caps on both ends and the deflector dish.
FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FatherRob »

I wanted to share some of my inspiration for this build...

Now, I am not going for a slavish reproduction of Lou Feck's take on the ship... in the first pic, however, the ship seems smaller than the Constitution class as we are used to her. I like this look for a precursor.

There is unique detailing found in the second and third pictures. I can tell you that I don't see myself doing the 'spar' under the saucer from the third picture, but I am considering the flattened underside.

I am also drawing some design cues from the work of MadMan's Shipyard, specifically the Constellation on his starship projects page, at this link: https://www.madshipyard.com/ships.htm.

I hope to have some free time this weekend to start the build.

Rob+
FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FatherRob »

Tonight I began to actually work on plastic... Portholes and the pilot holes for the docking rings on the saucer...

FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FatherRob »

Tonight's update: I have been busy drilling today...

Ruined my docking ports...going to have to fix that. I am beginning to wish I hadn't decided to light this. I am not really happy with this whole drilling thing.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

Marked as incomplete. Please PM me if you want this thread copied to another section.

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”