1:650 Surya Class (final pics page 5)

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: 1:650 Surya Class

Post by Lonewolf »

It isn't hard to sand the putty at all. I had a fairly tight grip on the hull while I was doing the sanding, and it was pretty solid.

The vertical spacers that appear in my August 1 photos above run between the bottom of lower hull and attach to the underside of the upper hull. It's pretty thick styrene, and surrounds the aft hull on three sides with rigid pieces. The instructions provided templates for the port, starboard and aft spacer plates. Those parts attach to the molded vertical sides of the aft lower hull, so it's a higher wall with another shorter wall as support.

I added my own bracing around the forward hull, but I haven't done any sanding up there yet. But, between the added bracing and the "lip support" parts that the instructions had me add, I think it will hold.

Once you add the port and starboard exterior side plates, plus the aft bulkhead, there are, in reality, six separate vertical load-bearing walls supporting the back end of the ship. Plus there are the two smaller angled internal parts the provide the proper angle for the exterior side plates. So that's eight vertical walls of styrene.

The instructions say to fill the kit with expanding foam before puttying and sanding. I didn't want my model to explode, so I didn't use the foam. I would guess the foam would provide a pretty firm surface as well. That's the nice thing about Aves. You really don't have to crank down on it to get it to sand. Also, I used varying grits of sanding sticks, working from more coarse to fine. I let the sanding stick do the work, which means I don't have to ream down on the styrene.

The styrene on this thing is pretty thick. I really need to get a new battery for my digital calipers so I can get a reading on the thickness. It's actually thicker than some mainstream plastic models I've built.

It's all up to you as to how you want to reinforce the interior of the hull. A spare sheet of styrene was included with the kit, so I could have used that to install additional vertical internal supports where the upper primary hull angles upward to form the aft extended hull. Also, the stand mount I installed comes up right underneath the hull top, so that provides another "hard point" on the interior.

The warp nacelles are the next challenge, as there's nothing internally to support the long hollow tubes. The instructions do say to install the Bussard domes and the end caps prior to doing any puttying and sanding. Having solid resin forward and aft will help make the nacelles rigid, but I'm going to add some styrene beam that runs the length of the interior, top and bottom, to reinforce the nacelles. The beams will also act as mounting tabs as there is nothing other than the flat mating surfaces to keep the nacelles together.

So . . . start building a vacuform kit, darn it! :P
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Just back from camping with my wife and daughters for the past four days, and I got some work done. I applied fresh Aves Apoxie Sculpt to the front of the main hull on Saturday night, so it had five days to set fully.

Tonight I spent about 30 minutes outside, sanding the rounded forward section first with 150 grit sandpaper, then using 2000 grit to polish it.

I spent another 30 minutes re-scribing the vertical deflector grid panel lines that run from the top of the hull down to the bottom.

I will get photos posted in the next couple days. I have to download them from my phone and get them uploaded to Photobucket.

I hope to start work on the warp nacelles either tomorrow or Saturday. We are on vacation until Monday, and are hoping to do a couple of short day trips, including Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek, weather permitting.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Okay. Finally have some photos to post!

Saucer edge sanded smooth and almost in final format.

Port side view. I re-scribed all of the vertical grid lines freehand with my Xacto.

Saucer edge. Sorry about the blurry photo! :oops:

Aft view.

And now on to the work I was able to get done today!

Impulse engine deck and dorsal spine installed. I used Aves Apoxie Sculpt to get them into position, and then used a dental tool to remove the excess Aves. It's the same procedure I used for the bridge earlier.

Warp nacelle halves with added styrene beam to act as locating tabs.

Another view of the styrene beams.

Joined halves of one warp nacelle.

After I let these dry for a day or so, I have to add some spacers to widen the nacelles before I attach the Bussard domes and the end caps. After the spacers are added, but before the resin parts go on, I'm going to drill into the pylons and attach some brass pins to act as reinforcement for attaching the nacelles. I hope to get the end caps in place, then attach the nacelles to the pylons, reinforcing the interior with Aves, and finally attach the Bussard domes.

After that, it's just attaching the intercooler units, the three plates on the forward underside of each nacelle, and the bumps for the phasers and the navigational lights. Then it's on to priming, painting, decalling, detailing, and . . . . guess I better build a stand at some point, too.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Pretty kewl. Did the kit come with decals and how/what were they? Just the name, registry and pennants, or did they include other goodies like windows?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Here's a shot of the decals that was also posted back at the beginning of the thread.
Lonewolf wrote: Image
Decal Sheet
The decals were clearly printed and are in-register. They were printed on SuperCal ink jet paper. I can't tell if they have any sealant over them (mostly just kinda matte with a few shiny spots), but I'm planning on airbrushing a coat of Future on them before I start using them anyway.

I'm gonna be modifying them slightly for use with a new name and registry number. I will probably use some of the leftover numbers/letters as a test on scrap styrene just to see how they are before I start working with the parts that I'm gonna actually use on the model.

I'm plugging away on the warp nacelles and have added internal spacers on the aft ends to help widen the interiors and make them more "circular". After I glued the halves together, they were kind oval-shaped in their cross-sections. After I add a couple more spacers to the forward sections, I'm going to set the locations for the pins from the pylons into the nacelles, and then work on sanding/shaping before attaching the fore and aft resin bits.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

So far so good.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Lonewolf wrote:Here's a shot of the decals that was also posted back at the beginning of the thread.
Decal Sheet
D'OH! I missed that. Sorry :oops:
Lonewolf wrote:The decals were clearly printed and are in-register. They were printed on SuperCal ink jet paper. I can't tell if they have any sealant over them (mostly just kinda matte with a few shiny spots), but I'm planning on airbrushing a coat of Future on them before I start using them anyway.
That's a good idea. After having so many decals dissolve on me, I no longer take it for granted that they're sealed. There's only one vendor I know whose decals are ready to go. Everyone else is suspect to me. :police:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Sorry for the lack of progress. It's been a hectic week, with my daughters starting school on Tuesday the 2nd and all of the beginning-of-the-school-year stuff.

The warp nacelles have been sanded to rough shape, and I hope to get a coating of Aves applied tomorrow night (gotta work an auction most of the day) to help finalize the shape. Fore and aft ends are okay, but the center sections ended up kinda wasp-waisted at the seams.

Once I get that corrected, I can get the mounting pin holes drilled, and then assemble the Bussard domes and end caps to seal up the tubes.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Still plugging away, and finally getting some work done.

1. Brass mounting pins are installed in the warp nacelle pylons, ready for marking onto the warp nacelles.

2. Got the Aves applied to the seams on the warp nacelles earlier this week. Tonight I got a chance to get them sanded smooth, starting with 60-grit sandpaper, then 150-grit, and finally 2000-grit.

3. Next up is attaching the Bussard domes and the end caps, then filling the seams and (guess what . . . ) more sanding! I hope to get the attachments done tonight.

After the nacelles are mostly done, I'll attach them to the pylons, then start working on the attachment of the final bits and bobs (intercoolers, aft fins, phaser banks and navigational lights). Then it's on to priming, painting, decal work, and final weathering. I need to build a stand, too.

I'd wanted to get more done before now, but with my daughters starting school on the 2nd and working an auction on the 6th, last week was shot.

I spent about 4 hours today rebuilding the doors/framing on my 10x10 shed, so there was more time away from the hobby desk. On the plus side, the doors have needed to be rebuilt since last winter (one door was hanging on by two screws in one hinge) and now they're done. All I need to do is get them painted, which is my target project for next weekend, provided it's warm enough. It's already down to 50 degrees here as of 8:25 p.m. EST, and it's supposed to go down into the low 40's overnight. :?
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Progress! I got the main components of the warp nacelles assembled, and finally have the ship sitting in its final configuration. The nacelles still need Aves applied around the gaps in between the tubes and the Bussard domes/end caps, but the resin parts are now in place, which means the nacelles are about 75% done. I'm going to put Aves on them tomorrow night, with the intention to sand them smooth on Tuesday night. Then I'll epoxy them in place before I attach the aft fins and the intercoolers.

Here are some shots of the parts finally looking like a starship!

Each nacelle is held in place by two 1/16" solid brass pins. I drilled into the pylons first, then attached the pins. I then used the opposite ends of the pins to score the points for drilling into the nacelle.

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”