Enterprise B (by Cannon fodder) VOTE!

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Enterprise B (by Cannon fodder) VOTE!

Post by cannon fodder »

My attempt for the buildoff will be an old AMT Enterprise B kit that I won on ebay with my 1/537 lighted enterprise refit and the 18 inch TOS enterprise. I would have entered one of those but they are in various stages at the moment. I don't have an exact idea of how to approach this build as it seems like It will be somewhat different than what I've tried in the past. I do know I'd love to get hold of a set of aztec decals for this old girl but they seem rather expensive. I may just be using the original kit decals but am afraid they are too old.

Last edited by cannon fodder on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Re: 1/1000 old AMT Enterprise B

Post by Xen »

Since no one else has posted, I'll get the ball rolling. The box art is a nice teaser. Good luck with the build! :)
cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by cannon fodder »

OK I've started the build and found what others are saying about this old kit now lol. Working on the lower secondary hull I have found the parts to be warped either from age or maybe the manufacturing process. I have had to use a yard of tape so far to force it into shape while gluing. I'll post pics when I get home. I've also been considering a custom Aztec made of translucent paints. Maybe laid over a light blue gray base coat.
curt
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by curt »

Look forward to watching this. I think I have a coupke of these in the basement.
Burke
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Burke »

I have the newer release so im interested to see how this one turns out.
cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by cannon fodder »

Well before I post my progress pics I have to report that I'm disgusted with the old style directions lol. I've been trying to dry fit and tape sections together to get a feel for gapping and such and have found while trying to test the nacelles last night that the instructions are vague at best. I can't seem to get ahold of what they are trying to say. I'm going to try to find the instructions for the new release verstion online and see if they help. They are 8 pieces to them. Had to put it down lol.
cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by cannon fodder »

ok here are my first update pics. Ive got a long way to go but am actually starting to like the gray of the primer. I am looking for a little lighter gray though with perhaps a slight bluish tint to it. I don't have an airbrush so I may have to either deal with what I can find or maybe mix my own and thin it and brush the basecoat on.

SingleMind
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SingleMind »

Looking good. I like the ent -b despite some design oddities. I have come to like it better then the regular excelsior.
Confidence - that feeling you get right before you fully understand the situation.
cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by cannon fodder »

I just rewatched the opener of generations and also st3 and there is a distinct bluish gray tint to the lighting they used on the studio models. Even though they were mostly white with alternating gray aztecing done on the hull. That's my inspiration for the color scheme of my ent b. I think I may have to do the gray filler primer and then mist a white base coat then a blue gray coat misted over that. I do plan on fudging a translucent Aztec pattern over that.
cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by cannon fodder »

Would anyone happen to have the repop 1/1000 ent b? I would love to see a scanned copy of the instructions.

Return to “Newbie Contest Entries”