Enterprise B (by Cannon fodder) VOTE!

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/1000 old AMT Enterprise B

Post by cannon fodder » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:50 am

OK I've had a couple of good weather days so here are some more updates.

One nacelle attached.

There were some things I couldn't do without on the paint scheme so I put more details on the saucer.

Would love some input guys.

OK couldn't resist had to do more.

cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by cannon fodder » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:54 am

Ok, so in the process of putting on decals and disaster struck. I was using the original decals from the kit and they went on fine. BUT. When I sprayed on the dullcoat they bubbled up and peeled off. So now I have a finished saucer and no decals for it or the rest of the kit. I'm not sure where I'm going to go with this now. Any suggestions guys would be of great help.

SingleMind
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SingleMind » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:15 am

Bummer man!! I bought some decals off of federation models for mine Miranda. I think I saw sets for the excelsior. Might be an option. Or they may have something you mix together with a little more work to still finish it. Hope that helps.
Confidence - that feeling you get right before you fully understand the situation.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:49 am

http://federationmodels.com/decals/jt_g ... s%20Decals

I'd go for those, as they are just marking decals not aztec I'd imagine they'd meet the spirit of the newbie out of box contest. Was it a spray can of dull coat? reminds me of when this happened to me....http://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.p ... t=30#p5693

cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by cannon fodder » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:11 am

Just a small update. Didn't like the dark blue so I took it off lol

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:03 pm

I like this new color scheme even better. Keep posting updates because this looks good :thumbsup:

Not that it will help you with where you currently are in this build, but did you spray glosscoat on the decals before the dullcoat? It wasn't clear from your description above. Please forgive me if you've heard this before: The gloss works to seal the decal in and the dull works to knock the shine down and minimize the contrast between the painted model and the seams of the decal. Again, my apologies if you've heard it before.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by cannon fodder » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:27 pm

No I have never used any clear coat on decals before applying them. Didn't think u had to with stock decals lol. I guess I should have expected it from 20 year old decals though lol. Thanks for the tip. I do have a set of the repop decals on the way.

cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by cannon fodder » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:41 am

OK for me here is a huge update. I have settled on most of the paint and have started the decal step. Here are some pics and I want u guys to notice the strange way the decals look kinda shiny in certain angles. What causes this and will it help when I apply the clear coat?

ironman150
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by ironman150 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:55 am

That's looking great. Yeah the clear coat should even out those decals for you.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:33 am

Almost looks like silvering, where the decals have a little bit of air underneath them. I've dealt with that in the past by peeling up pat of the decal, painting the underside with clearcoat, sticking it back down, then repeating the process on the rest of the decal.

Return to “Newbie Contest Entries”