AMT\ERTL 1:537 Enterprise-A and 1:2500 Enterprise-D (w\pics)

Share what you're working on, or your finished kit here. Friendly and constructive feedback assured!
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: AMT\ERTL 1:537 Enterprise-A and 1:2500 Enterprise-D (w\p

Postby nova1972x » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:50 am

Maybe I should rephrase: what is the most commonly sed shade of gray modelers typically like to use for the Enterprise-D?

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:11 pm

I usually mix my own grey for all Federation ships. Mine tends to be on the lighter shade of grey than the darker. I'm not good with numbers and ratios, but I use dropper bottles and acrylics so I use 1 drop of an already light grey for every 5 drops of white. I'm on the train right now so can't get exact colors right now. I'll look up the Vallejo colors I use when I get to the office so you can approximate the color to what brand you use.
Last edited by DefiantClient on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks for the tip!

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:56 pm

No problemo. Just looked it up and the Vallejo Game Color I use with the white is called Stonewall Grey. Pretty sure it would be named similarly in other paint ranges.

Also, I just remembered it's 1 drop grey for every 5 of white. Don't know why I thought it was 2. So 5:1 ratio white:grey

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:53 am

This is great to know because I have another 1:2500 Enterprise 1701, A, and D kit I have yet to assemble. When I do, I will try this mixture for those three models. As for the Enterprise-D, I will keep it this color, since it did paint pretty evenly. I have some decals on order, and once it's all done, I will take more pictures.

As for the 1:537 kit, I chose Testor's camouflage gray as the base coat (had already bought and painted it before the last couple posts). Unfortunately,I ran out of paint, just as I started on the nacelles. Local hobby store won't have more until next week, so that one is on hold, too.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:36 am

So I added some color to the Enterprise-D this weekend....

I'm pleased with how the colors came out, and I think it is helping the gray base coat to not look so dark and drab. I have some decals on order for more detail. They are the "wallpaper" style with all the windows and other Aztec details. Plus, I hope the decals help the overall look of the gray, as well.

One thing I would like to ask anyone. I have long since lost the original stand for this model (This originally came with the three Enterprises, though the 1701 and 1701-A are both broken and missing parts,a nd not displayable). Any suggestions for an aftermarket stand to go with this 1:2500 AMT\ERTL Enterprise-D? I have been looking for something along the lines of the acrylic stands similar to the ones the Eaglemoss ships come with, but scaled up for this model. Anyone have any recommendations for a good replacement stand for this model?

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:57 pm

For what I've been doing with many of my models: A repurposed fence post cap.

I'd impale the model on a brass rod. And then take a fence post cap, sand it smooth, paint it black. Then drill a hole in the center for the brass rod.

Such would leave it all bottom heavy and less likely to tip over for whatever reason. On most of mine I'd have a small plaque done up from a trophy store mounted on it to give it a more 'professional' look to it.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:18 pm

I thought I replied to this. Must have been a hell of a morning for me. I was also going to suggest this, but with less detail; Brass rod, wooden block of your stylistic choice.

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby patrickivan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:55 am

nova1972x wrote:Hello all.

So, I've been here almost a week now, and so far I have received some great support and help from a lot of posters here, especially DefiantClient and Cubey Terra. I would like to thank everyone here who has been so kind to a noob like me :) Also, I would like to add that I am a long time Star Trek fan, and have always been fascinated by Star Trek ships, especially. Also, I am about as novice a model builder as it gets, and with the exception of a couple auto models here and there, as well as these models, I really haven't build any models in a long, long time.

Anyway, what brought me here in the first place was that I had recently been going through some boxes I had packed away, when I came across two Star Trek models of mine that were still more or less intact. The first being my old AMT\ERTL Star Trek VI USS Enterprise-A 1:537 scale model, and the other being an Enterprise-D 1:2500 scale model, which was part of a 2 piece set, back when there were only 3 versions of the Enterprise (TOS Enterprise, TMP Enterprise, and Enterprise-D). Today, I am starting this thread to document the progress of rebuilding these models, good or bad, but hopefully good.

I had built both models way back in the 1980s. I had hung my Enterprise-A in my bedroom in high school, and there it hung for almost a decade, as after high school, I went off and joined the Army for 4 years, and my parents kept my room as it was for quite some time. I wish I had pictures of it back then, but here are a few of it's now.

As you can see, long before the NX-01, I took to painting this model silver. Seemed a good idea at the time, but I was 14 at the time...

Anyway, back to the story. As all things do, they wanted the room back, so I took it down, and placed it in a box, after I came back to my home town and transitioned back to civie life. After a few moves, this model suffered some damage, but nothing too serious, and certainly nothing that can't be undone. Unfortunately, it's missing some parts (deflector dish piece,impulse engine backing, some saucer windows), which I am currently working on getting replacements. Indeed, DefiantClient was very kind enough to send me an old saucer with some of those parts I need, and had spread the gospel to me on the wonders of Simple Green and paint stripping! Below are some parts that were the same color as the saucer above...

Also, as mentioned, in addition to the 537 Enterprise-A, I had a 3 piece set. Unfortunately, the only one left is the Enterprise-D. Originally, it was painted silver, but I had then painted it a camouflage gray, which looked more like a cream color, than anything. Of course, since back then I hadn't stripped the paint off, but rather just kept applying coats to it, I decided to strip the paint of this guy while I was at it:

What I plan to do with both these models is this.

1. Enterprise-A will be rebuild and painted with some new and used replacement parts. I will be painting it as a light gray, almost white, basically in the style of the on screen movie appearances, but I think the term would be "gray scale" and based on my interpretation on what I see the Enterprise as in the film. I have to give credit where credit is due, and my main inspiration for this build is Cubey's, who did an awesome job:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1524

*I don't know if I will be able to put lighting in, but if I can at least paint it half as well as Cubey, I will be happy!

2. Enterprise-D will not be disassembled, but simply repainted. As you can see, I have already stripped the model, and I think it looks like its in pretty good condition, considering. So I am at the stage where I am preparing for the paint job, which will be gold. My inspiration for this look is sort of a cross between the Enterprise-D depicted in the briefing rooms in both the Enterprise-D and Enterprise-E.

At this stage, I am still working out some details, and this will probably be a slow process, and as I go. I will display pictures of my progress, as I am able to. Thank you. :)

That's too funny and brings back memories. That Refit E looks just like the one I painted silver in the 80's.
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:10 am

Yeah, that was when I painted mine.

And someone on the set of TNG season 1 had the same ides....

Return to “Newbie Gallery”