Salvageable? - 18" TOS enterprise

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
IceGiant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Salvageable? - 18" TOS enterprise

Post by IceGiant »

So I've had this kit for like 30 years. A few years ago I pulled her out and tried to build her out of the box. I had a few problems. I couldn't get the upper part of the lower fuselage to fit on the bottom. I glued the upper first and maybe that was my first mistake. The saucer halves don't line up properly and I've got overhang on either side. (I believe I can file them down and it will be ok.

At some point I tried pulling the nacelles apart and broke them. I painted the bussard collectors but instead of waiting inbetween coats I tried multicoats all at one. Very newbish stuff.

I was hoping for a simple easy kit to put together and one that I had on hand and at a size that is nice to show off.

Any thoughts on if I can save it? I've looked online and the prices for them aren't as cheap as I thought they might be for a kit this old.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Salvageable? - 18" TOS enterprise

Post by Moongrim »

Battle Damage.

Remember the Constellation? NCC-1017?
https://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_ ... (NCC-1017)

When a ship is battle damaged, lots of problems are 'excused'.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

IceGiant wrote:I've looked online and the prices for them aren't as cheap as I thought they might be for a kit this old.
Sometimes old kits can be really expensive be because they never went reissued and became rare (not the case of TOS Enterprise) or because certain vintage issues became a collector item (probably this case). I have an identical kit awaiting for the time to be built. Mine costed a bit less than $50. Expensive. I just hope to not have the same problems you had!

:?
Thanks,

Yan.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

BTW, the Moongrim idea is perfect. Make it a damaged ship!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

I don't see anything that couldn't be repaired with a little putty and some sanding. The worst would have been if you had broken the retainer clip "stirrups" off the ends of the nacelle pylons.

As far as the bussards go, just soak them overnight in Purple Power or whatever it is they sell in your area for degreasing automotive engines. Walmart sells it. Eazy-Off works well too I'm told. Takes the paint right off without hurting the plastic.

Or just make it a battle damaged ship.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

IceGiant, I agree with trekriffic, I don't see anything here you can't salvage.

I took a very damaged AMT model and restored it to trim; I posted a few pics in the Newbie Gallery. Was it easy? No. Did it take a long time? Yes. But IMHO it turned out very nice and I am very proud to have expended the time and effort.

Granted, I had to use alot of putty, do alot of sanding and, a few times, alot of expletives and walk away for a day or two, but, again, it is worth it! I even had to repair the nacelle attachment points in order to remount the nacelles and their supports to the secondary hull. I detailed the build on another forum and, if you like, I can give you the URL, but I don't want to hijack your thread.

Repair and restorations are tedious but will test and improve your skills in building like nothing else!

Let me know if I can help! I will be following the build should you decide to do so!

Best of luck!

Steve
IceGiant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by IceGiant »

Yeah, I'm going to "try" and rebuild it. We will see if my meager skills are up too it. I may have to get a new set of decals as mine are all icky looking from being so old.
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x »

IceGiant, I agree that your model is totally salvageable. And you can do it without the battle damage, if you like.

I agree with Trekriffic & MSGTUSAFRT. The only other additional info I would add is consider soaking in Simple Green. That stuff is great for removing old paint and glue. I was in a similar situation with a model I had built years ago, and wanted to redo. I had broken pieces, and used JB Weld for plastic to help repair it.
IceGiant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by IceGiant »

nova1972x wrote:IceGiant, I agree that your model is totally salvageable. And you can do it without the battle damage, if you like.

I agree with Trekriffic & MSGTUSAFRT. The only other additional info I would add is consider soaking in Simple Green. That stuff is great for removing old paint and glue. I was in a similar situation with a model I had built years ago, and wanted to redo. I had broken pieces, and used JB Weld for plastic to help repair it.
lol, It's funny you should mention that. I have the bussard collectors and the end caps soaking right now.

Return to “General Trek”