Every ship to collect in one scale?

A place for those new to the hobby (or at a basic skill level) to ask questions and hone their skills.
Abbotat59
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Every ship to collect in one scale?

Postby Abbotat59 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:23 pm

I know this has to be one of the most common questions from someone starting out with Star Trek ships. I've looked some what but haven't seen a full explanation anywhere.

Is there a scale on the larger side that every ship has been made in? I'm collecting because someone gave me a 1/650 enterprise in the collector's tin. It's the same ship that I had when I was 8 (49 years ago) and that lead me to wanting every Star Trek ship in 1/650. It seems there are a couple models that over time have been boxed with multiple scales even though they are the same ship (is Enterprise D 8793 really 1/650 or the same 1/1400 are 6619 or 8772)? Now I have worries I've collected a bunch of ships that are not accurate because of inaccurate or lazy designing in the model office.

Can anyone direct me to a scale list showing all or most ships being in the same scale or did the manufactures not have the sense to think collectors would want them all in a same scale to appreciate their size differences in real life so to speak.

Thanks

Scotchyn
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Every ship to collect in one scale?

Postby Scotchyn » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:07 pm

the two scales w/the most most ships and all the enterprises' would be 1/1400 and 1/2500 scale....and welcome!

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:20 pm

Welcome Aboard Mr. Abbotat59.

"Is there a scale on the larger side that every ship has been made in?"

No, I'm afraid not. Because there are quite a few of the Star Trek ships in Canon, between the "Officially licensed" kit manufacturers, and the lesser known 'Garage Kit Manufacturers", the ships that have come out have ranged from 1/4 scale for the Nomad probe from TOS, all the way to- 1/30000 for a Starbase.

"I'm collecting because someone gave me a 1/650 enterprise in the collector's tin. It's the same ship that I had when I was 8 (49 years ago) and that lead me to wanting every Star Trek ship in 1/650."

Understandable, but not too feasible a desire I'm afraid.

"It seems there are a couple models that over time have been boxed with multiple scales even though they are the same ship (is Enterprise D 8793 really 1/650 or the same 1/1400 are 6619 or 8772)?"

Checking the length of mine own 6619- it measures to a little over 18 inches.
Doing the math-
Enterprise-D length: 642.5 meters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enter ... NCC-1701-D)
Which is-
64,250 cm. Divided by 650 = 98.85 cm/ 38.9 inches in length.
64,250 cm. Divided by 1400 = 45.89 cm/ 18.06 inches in length.

"Now I have worries I've collected a bunch of ships that are not accurate because of inaccurate or lazy designing in the model office."

Well technically, yes they are accurate, but not in 650 scale I'm afraid. The Enterprise D model (18 inches in length) is 1400 scale.

Hopefully this site will be what you're looking for http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/trekscales.cfm
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Abbotat59
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby Abbotat59 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:24 am

Thank you guys,

so the 8793 marked as 1/650 is really 1/1400.
Really everything marked 1/650 is probably 1/1400 because they are not boxed big enough for a 39"ship.

I'll look at the 1/1400 model.

Thanks for the info

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:52 am

Nope, 1/650 is just that.

There is no scale that has it all. WE wish there was one.

As stated the two scales with the largest selection are 1/2500 and 1/1400.

1/2500 is the scale of the Enterprise 3 ship sets and the other Round 2 Cadet series three ship sets. It styrene it is you best bet for the most ships. There is a large garage kit selection as well.

1/1400 is the scale for the big Enterprise C-D and E models. It also has a decent garage kit section.

Third on the list and growing is 1/1000. Round 2 subjects include the TOS E the Refit, Reliant and the NX was I understand recently discontinued. 1/1000 has garage kit fans as well.

Which scale you decide in, if you decide on a single one. Will depend on your budget, or space and your desire for big models.

I personally go for 1/2500 for the range of subject, and space considerations, with occasional dips into 1/1000
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:20 pm

I think that pursuit scales is a hard mission specially when the subject comes to starships where you have tiny as well huge vessels. Trying to keep models from both types will put in a situation that or you will have flea-size for the small transporters or clumsy stuff for the big ones depending on the scale.

Seems to me that you prefer a large scale. We don't have too much plastic stuff in 1/650 nowadays other than the TOS Enterprise and the Klingon D7 (please fellow, correct me if I am wrong). You may found something in resin though but they are more expensive and harder to find. Also you have the 1/657 (Voyager) and a few old 1/537 models (Enterprise Refit and Reliant) that kind of "look" the same scale when put next to each other (but they won't be 100% accurate). This is scale will be a problem regarding to more modern vessels like Enterprises "C", "D" or "E" as they are huge. I really don't think that does exist kits for these ships in a larger scale than 1/1400 and if you find it be prepared to have a monster in your entrance hall!

:lol:

Particularly I don't care about scale accuracy. I have ships at 1/537, 1/650, 1/657, 1/1000 and 1/1400 in my small collection. I am a swell modeler. I choose the scale mostly based on the real size of the model after done and therefore how they will look over the shelf. Tiny models are hard to see. Huge models are clumsy. So I try to stay in the middle of the way working with different scales in a way that the models have a similar size among themselves. For instances, I don't mind on have an Enterprise "C" at the 1/2500 scale aside my Enterprise "A" at the 1/1000.

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:46 am

You are never going to answer the scale question for everyone. I for example I get warm fuzzies from having all my models in the same scale. That doesn't matter to everyone. Some are worse about it than I. And which scale? That can start a war.

As the old song says, "you can't please everybody so you better please yourself."

TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby TonyG2 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:53 pm

As regards one source with the most canon models, I would suggest that is the Eaglemoss series. They are up to 90 released and at least 95 proposed (more depending where you look) and that is not counting specials and shuttles.

They are, of course, all over the place in terms of scale. Well worth a look for ships that haven't been released as kits by anyone although there are some real stinkers. The refit Enterprise - their second release - was badly finished. The model of the Stargazer was totally wrong - saucer section was too thin.

There is a Memory Alpha Wiki page that lists all the models, their size and scale. I haven't checked out the accuracy of their calculations for every model but a random sampling looks pretty good. The aforementioned Refit Enterprise scales out as 1/2260, Voyager is 1/2541. The Vulcan Surak class is spot on 1/2500 as is the Gorn cruiser and the Andorian Kumari class cruiser is 1/2571 (I'm not quibbling over the odd 71 or so). USS Pasteur is 1/2442.

Their Delta Flyer (1/168) is almost the same size as the old Hallmark ornament model.

The latest release is the Enterprise J at 1/27280! Forthcoming include the Medusan ship from the remastered episode "Is There In Truth No Beauty", a New Orleans Class, a Cheyenne Class, a Kazon raider (why, for the love of god....), the Vulcan Shuttle from TMP, and the USS Jenolan from the TNG episode "Relics".

Tesral is not alone in liking a consistent scale. I get the occasional obsession with fleet building and seeing how large Ship X is compared to Ship Y. Even comparing between different shows. So for fun I may have a 1/1000 Space Battleship Yamato next to a refit Enterprise etc although I keep coming back to 1/2500.

Accordingly I tend to sort of group the Eaglemoss models into near as dammit categories. 1/2300 to 1/2700 is near enough for me to say, its sort of 1/2500.

The nearest I can see to 1/650 of any Eaglemoss model is the Jem Hadar bug fighter at 1/680 and the Maquis Raider at 1/630.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:57 pm

To a scale modeler that is horrible. Eaglemoss is evil indeed for their "all over the place".

As far as canon ships Sacred Scale is close if not complete."

Return to “Newbie Modeler Help Desk”