ONX-01"Osiris" - Multi-Mission slipstream Prowler [WIP]

From 2D to 3D. CGI to Old School sketches. Post all artwork here!
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: ONX-01 - Multi-Mission slipstream Cutter [WIP]

Post by RogueWolf »

Serin,

Don't get me wrong, this is your project, do with as you wish.

I think its an awesome design and I love the warp design, an underrated design ethic in my book. I keep telling myself that one of these days I'll start mucking around in CAD, but truth be told, I just don't have enough time.

Kudos to you though, you always produce good stuff! And this one is no exception, sexy and sleek!!!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 »

Its all good, Rogue! I'm trying really hard to make this whole story and its parts self consistent so this is just a step on that path as far as I'm concerned.

Bit more progress today - internals roughed out and some more done on the outer hull. Multidimensional wave-function analysis module and chroniton integrators installed. Not sure where to throw the quantum field focus controller though, maybe under the nose somewhere. Need to work out what to do with the space between the bridge and the rear crew quarters - empty isn't really useful.
Pulse phaser emitters are just stand-ins.
Click drag to new tab should bring up larger images...

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

You have a really small ship going down here. I would cut the bridge down to a large cockpit.

What is the range? Do people need places to sleep? Again a ship that size bunks are more practical. They need to eat and a place to be when not on duty,. A wardroom minimum.

Engineering spaces. Not just the engineering compartment but things like replicators, matter storage tanks for same. Life support etc. You are dealing with a hull smaller than a US WWII Balao class submarine. Fewer crew and no massive torpedoes to be sure. But not a huge hull.

Choices have to be made. A luxurious interior means little space for anything else. Highly utilitarian leaves more room for functional items.

Television gives us an odd view of things. The TOS Enterprise has those wide halls for the camera dolly, not any practical in story reason. Real ships are tight. small compartments, little personal space. Machines get room before people. Small starships are going to have to make those choices.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 »

Tesral wrote:You have a really small ship going down here. I would cut the bridge down to a large cockpit.

What is the range? Do people need places to sleep? Again a ship that size bunks are more practical. They need to eat and a place to be when not on duty,. A wardroom minimum.

Engineering spaces. Not just the engineering compartment but things like replicators, matter storage tanks for same. Life support etc. You are dealing with a hull smaller than a US WWII Balao class submarine. Fewer crew and no massive torpedoes to be sure. But not a huge hull.

Choices have to be made. A luxurious interior means little space for anything else. Highly utilitarian leaves more room for functional items.

Television gives us an odd view of things. The TOS Enterprise has those wide halls for the camera dolly, not any practical in story reason. Real ships are tight. small compartments, little personal space. Machines get room before people. Small starships are going to have to make those choices.
Yeah, that space in the middle between the bridge and the crew area is going to be filled with something similar to the crew area with an access hatch down the middle but I just don't have any good ideas about it yet. Its certainly not going to be the big empty it is now.
So with the engineering those two pods on the sides are going to contain the slipstream drive(whatever that looks like), a compact warp drive and the life support systems.
There's a fair amount of space between the outer hull and the inner so a lot of the other tech can be stuffed in there probably. The idea with the engineering space on the upper deck is just controls, workspace and diagnostics basically. I'm assuming for a fair bit of reasonable development in technologies what with this being built around 2400. Beaming in and out replacement parts for instance because as much as I'd like to I don't think I could fit a a Jefferies tube in the the center of the pods. Probably a few access hatches to play with things in the pods.
Storage is in the back few compartments. Matter storage is an interesting one - haven't really seen how the raw matter they use to replicate things is stored so I figure I've got some leeway there. Would it simply be in crates that the replicator beams material out of when needed or would the matter be stored in some kind of buffer like a transporter? Its not biological so its not as if there's a risk there. Run out of matter? Cool, find a floating rock and beam it into the buffer to fill up. If Scotty can store himself in a buffer for decades then surely 30-40 years later tech will have evolved to take advantage of that.
I think ideally it will look quite different to the cramped ships of yesteryear but still cramped enough to convey something of its purpose. I'm going to try to find a nice medium between sleek and utilitarian.

I think once I've completed the crew spaces I might go on to install the networks for the SIF, shield emitters, inertial dampers and something I'm going to call 'spoofers'(none of those pesky bio readings are going to be detectable from the outside).
Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: ONX-01 - Multi-Mission slipstream Prowler [WIP]

Post by Serin019 »

Compact Quantum Slipstream Drive prototype and medbay area started. Pretty happy with both so far.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

Dayum. You have a real talent there.
Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 »

DefiantClient wrote:Dayum. You have a real talent there.
Thanks. Strange how these things develop.

Anyway.. more interior work. Sorted out some bulkhead/wall stuff. Started on the engineering control space.
QSD holo diagnostics are going to be a thing, same for warp drive and the rest of the ship too probably.
No idea what to do with the rest of that space though. I'd happy take advice on it.
Doors. Need to work out how to make some doors.

Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 »

Hey!

Maybe, I've only really played a bit of Mass Effect, but I see what you're getting at and you're not the only person to note the similarity.
Film grain? If only... The fuzz is just because I didn't let it render for long to resolve it :P Interiors are typically harder to render in Blender, more light to bounce around etc. Glad you think it looks nice though.

I was thinking about the Okuda-grams. Might have to come up with something like them but not starfleety to differentiate them. Texturing... I freaking hate texturing.

Ok so the medbay thing - I think that might just be a small station for the medical officer or whomever is filling in as one. Perhaps the crews beds could double as biobeds? I mean the ship already keeps track of their bio signatures so why not allow that to extend to medical?
As to the engineering space, I like most of your suggestions there! The replicator works, as does the lab. Cargo transporter perhaps, but I've sort of ditched the idea of dedicated pads for this like the Delta Flyer did. Ships computer can track anything on-board so it doesn't need a pad I think was the idea.
Tools! Yes, I do plan on throwing in a rack of two of those somewhere! Of course I have to do that! The med-desk already has a vial holder that I finished recently if you look hard enough.
Hand grips - yep. That'll work. Probably come in the final passes though.
Conduits and relays also yeah, but behind access panels because most of its connected to the engineering pods so the only thing you'd see would be outputs to whatever devices.
As to blast doors - nope, can't see a reason for them since the engineering pods are below decks and can be ejected if needed.
And yep, there is going to be a weapons rack - started on it and put it down near the docking tube access and external airlock on the right of the ship. Beaming weapons to people? I like it!
All the gear for surface missions will be stored there. I have some great ideas for an on-mission uniform >:D Just need to learn how to use marvelous designer first.

To make an MSD from scratch... yay

Very helpful! Danke!

Return to “Trek Art”