Prizes?

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Prizes?

Postby Drop_Bear » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:49 pm

So in this thread Xen suggests giving away prizes at the end of the group build and stresses the importance of keeping people motivated. Well, how about giving prizes to the first and second entrants to finish their builds? Stick and carrot. Perhaps some novelty award certificates could be given out as well for things like "Biggest Stuff Up" and "First to Finish Last".

Just a suggestion.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Prizes?

Postby DefiantClient » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:36 am

Not a bad idea at all.

If prize support would be an issue, I have a suggestion. An old forum I used in the past had taken donations for their prize support. I have one or two full Trek kits I'd be willing to donate.

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:12 am

DefiantClient wrote:Not a bad idea at all.

If prize support would be an issue, I have a suggestion. An old forum I used in the past had taken donations for their prize support. I have one or two full Trek kits I'd be willing to donate.

Ditto, I have an old ERTL Defiant kit I could donate - maybe a 1/2500 kit or two
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

asmcelhinney
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby asmcelhinney » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:19 pm

I like the idea of a kit donation.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

My fledgling YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PapanurgleForums

Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Julien » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:46 pm

I won't opposed prizes if that's what people wants, but then we go from friendly group build to some sort of contest...

The problem with awarding prizes based on when people finish their build, is that it isn't very fair... Not everyone get the same amount of time to build models, and not everyone is gonna be building the same thing. So the person who is building a 1/2500 Enterprise is sure to finish before someone who is doing a diorama with the Gallileo shuttle.

The other way to do it is to have a vote for the best builds. That will make this an actual contest. While this may be an incentive to certain people, it may also have the opposite effect on others who might feel intimidated by the fact that it is a contest.

The third option, which I think is the best one here, is that the person who donate the kit chooses to whom he wants to donate the kit.

So to make it clear, the donor will also be the judge for whom get his prize. No popular vote.

For example, MEATLOAFr decides he wants his prize to go to the best paint job. So at the end of the group build, he decides which build has the best paint job and send the kit to that member.

If everyone who wants to donate a kit chooses different criteria for awarding the prize (best paintjob, best kit-bash, best diorama, most accurate kit, ...), that will create different opportunities for people getting a prize.

A few years ago, I entered the Spring build contest on SMA. My build didn't finish high enough to get a prize through popular vote. But then Bad Grendels, aka John, decided to give his prizes to people who didn't win anything, so at the end, pretty much everyone who had entered a build in the Sci-fi category got a prize.

Also, if a member pledges to donate a kit, he will have to keep his word in 6 months. Also, keep in mind that the shipping costs will have to be paid by the member who donate the kit.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:19 pm

So what is this going to be, a contest or a group build? I'm a little confused right now. I suppose I can give my prize to who I think is best, but I'm going to be submitting an entry. I've played enough Warhammer tournaments to know that judges shouldn't be part of the competition.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:59 pm

I have a prize I could donate PM me

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:02 pm

I don't want a competition either. I just thought that introducing a little competitiveness (by making it a race) into this would keep people motivated enough not to drop out. Obviously my thinking was flawed and I'm sorry for opening Pandora's Box by suggesting something so stupid.

If this does become a full-on competition, then I'm pulling out. The important thing here, which I have inadvertently succeeded in obscuring, is the build, the honour of doing something to commemorate the 50th anniversary of TOS.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:41 pm

Drop_Bear wrote:I don't want a competition either. I just thought that introducing a little competitiveness (by making it a race) into this would keep people motivated enough not to drop out. Obviously my thinking was flawed and I'm sorry for opening Pandora's Box by suggesting something so stupid.

If this does become a full-on competition, then I'm pulling out. The important thing here, which I have inadvertently succeeded in obscuring, is the build, the honour of doing something to commemorate the 50th anniversary of TOS.

I agree. If this turns into a prize driven contest I'm out too. Completing an TOS inspired build to commemorate the 50th anniversary should be motivation enough; at least for true fans of the original series. Just my 2 cents of course. Others may feel differently and that's their right.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:55 pm

No no no, let's not resort to calling the idea of prizes stupid. It isn't. People just don't seem to want the competition so prizes might not be good if it makes things too much of a contest. Let's keep it a friendly group build. I feel like the idea I have for the build will take me no time to complete, so I'd prefer to enter more than one build.

True TOS fan checking in. I may be young and grew up with TNG, but I remember loving TOS first. My first memory (probably told this before) is being in my crib being simultaneously frightened and in awe of The Doomsday Machine turning toward the viewscreen. Still my favorite episode of TOS and I think that may be the reason (Sorry, Balance of Terror is only my second. :( ).

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”