Dreadnought USS Abaddon -Finished Pics and Video!

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Dreadnought

Post by NCC1966 »

Aesthetically speaking -- I don't like these two protruding stuff rising from the sides of the ship.

HOWEVER being it a "dreadnought" it doesn't suppose to be beautiful but threatening and efficient in battle. Said that you can add how many weapons you want without to care about the look. If you think it needs this extra phaser mounts just go for it!

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

NCC1966 wrote:Aesthetically speaking -- I don't like these two protruding stuff rising from the sides of the ship.

HOWEVER being it a "dreadnought" it doesn't suppose to be beautiful but threatening and efficient in battle. Said that you can add how many weapons you want without to care about the look. If you think it needs this extra phaser mounts just go for it!

Yeah. I mean, it's already got a tower rising from it's spine, so it ain't meant to be real sporty. Over on TTBBS someone said the spine turret looked "clunky". I can only imagine what they'd say about the pennant turrets! :lol:

Thanks for your feedback.

Anyone else?
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Wasn't there a battle with DS9 where high rate of fire weapon turrets were normally hidden but popped out during battle? These kind of remind me of those - normally flush with the ship but can pop out for combat. So there is already a Star Trek precedent.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Well got the nameplate from Laserfire this week. Just waiting for MEATLOAFr to finish some extra decals for the base for me so I can finish that off. In the meantime, here are some quick and dirty photos I took in my garage using ambient sunlight from the open garage door. Nothing fancy at this point but have a look anyway if you like...

ImageUSS ABADDON by trekriffic, on Flickr

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

This build was a pleasure to witness. Great work.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Oh my frakking goodness!

:shock:

It's simply marvelous!!!!

:)

PS: I retreat completely what I said before that a dreadnought don't suppose to be beautiful. Because yours is. If she was a person I would ask her to hang out.

Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Thanks you two. I have to say she has great balance fore and aft. And for having a big honking nacelle up top she has a fairly streamlined appearance. Math types like to talk about the golden ratio and all that but I tend to go by eye and it usually does not fail me IIDSSM. Of course it doesn't hurt that Matt Jeffery designed the Enterprise around the golden ratio so Abaddon had a good foundation to start with.
Last edited by trekriffic on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

trekriffic wrote:And for having a big honking nacelle up top she has a fairly streamlined appearance.
I confess that I never was a big fan of ships with the third nacelle as it sounds like a last minute adaptation; or better saying, like something that didn't belong to the original project and that was just put there.

Said that, I must tell that your model made me re-evaluate this concept. Your ship became extremely elegant. I should let you know also that I loved the metallic grey tone you used. I have thought on use such similar tone on my build but because I am thinking on draw panel lines in the saucer with a fine liner dark grey pen I don't know if it will work well over a metallic base.

Anyway, be proud of your ship, she's simply gorgeous!

Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

NCC1966 wrote:
trekriffic wrote: I am thinking on draw panel lines in the saucer with a fine liner dark grey pen I don't know if it will work well over a metallic base.
I would be careful about using any type of fine line ink pens. They always tend to run when you overspray them with a clear sealant; whether they are water or ink based it doesn't seem to matter. This is especially true when drawing over a gloss or semi-gloss coat. I would recommend drawing them on using a sharp HB or 2B pencil instead (or use a fine tipped mechanical pencil) over a flat clear coat. Just go lightly at least for the first pass. That should work fine over a metallic coat. The flat coat will dull down the metallic finish a good deal but I like my ships flat anyway, at least those from the original series era. You could always overspray with some of the metallic paint thinned down so as to allow the pencil lines to show thru though. Just a thought.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

trekriffic wrote:
NCC1966 wrote:
trekriffic wrote: I am thinking on draw panel lines in the saucer with a fine liner dark grey pen I don't know if it will work well over a metallic base.
I would be careful about using any type of fine line ink pens. They always tend to run when you overspray them with a clear sealant; whether they are water or ink based it doesn't seem to matter. This is especially true when drawing over a gloss or semi-gloss coat. I would recommend drawing them on using a sharp HB or 2B pencil instead (or use a fine tipped mechanical pencil) over a flat clear coat. Just go lightly at least for the first pass. That should work fine over a metallic coat. The flat coat will dull down the metallic finish a good deal but I like my ships flat anyway, at least those from the original series era. You could always overspray with some of the metallic paint thinned down so as to allow the pencil lines to show thru though. Just a thought.
Cool, thanks for the advice! I will go for a mechanic pencil instead then!

Good tip about the painting too. I think I will paint the base in a medium to light gray, draw the lines and then overspray with a very thin layer of metallic.

:D
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”