Moongrim's Entry.... Sovereign Replica's 1/350 U.S.S. Sagittarius- Complete August 13, 2016

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: Moongrim's Entry....

Postby Moongrim » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Sovereign Replica- now sadly gone the same way so many other GK's have.... :cry:

In preparation. Not a large-ish kit. But plenty of sprue. Unfortunately I'd forgotten that the kit only came with a decal for one ship- Sagittarius. Alas. I'd hoped for something more.
Sag 1.jpg

As you can see she's got plenty of seams to fill in. And I've just recently noticed- what I thought might've been Magnatomic Flux chillers on the read end of both warp engines, may in fact be sprue that needs to be removed.
Sag 2.jpg

Ventral- the black lines are my balancing mark to find the center of balance. Unfortunately it turns out that the center of balance is through the lower sensor dome. I'm NOT gonna drill the hole for the mounting rod there. Instead just behind it.
Sag 3.jpg

I must remember patience to do this properly.

There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Moongrim's Entry.... Sovereign Replica's 1/350 U.S.S. Sagittarius

Postby el gato » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:46 pm

Moongrim wrote:Image

Thanks for posting this. I need to make decals for my 2500 version (which is microscopic). Do you know if there were other names/registries?

For those who wanted a model of this ship, I think MVM will be offering the late DQ 144 version

The issue of the model's center of gravity is a pickle. Maybe you can get away from it by drilling the hole somewhere else and putting the post at an angle to compensate. It will give your ship a dynamic pose
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:19 pm

Other ships of the class:
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Archer_class

At least 9 ships. The Archer is a reference to Admiral Archer. But since he didn't have 9 names, they got creative.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:01 pm

Both the Navigational Deflector and the Warp Engine end caps popped off when I started sanding down the filler. It appears that I need to pick up something a bit more 'new' than the ancient of days CYA. And as it turns out the feedhorn in the deflector dish also broke off. Everything in the photo is what I'll be using to 'fix'.

Sag 4.jpg

I hand drilled a hole both in the dish and it's mount- that took a bit of delicate work. Also I nipped off a bit of brass rod of the appropriate size- this will act as both a bit of rebar to the resin/cement and as a feedhorn for the dish.

Sag 5.jpg

24 hours after doing all that- it seems to be holding just fine so far.

Sag 6.jpg
- J.L.Picard.

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:34 pm

Progress-
GEDC0966.JPG

Puttied, Psanded, and Primered.

GEDC0967.JPG

Base coat applied and drying.
- J.L.Picard.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:55 pm

It's getting great!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:38 pm

Saggy.jpg

Painting continues- now it's details. I'm going to try and do some more screwing around with the Bussard Collectors on the warp engines.
And then do some fine detail work elsewhere. Then some more fine detail work to fix what I screwed up on the previous. Then some more fine detail work to make up for the previous ...and so on....until I give up and proceed to the next step- A Glossy Clear coat in preparation for decaling.
- J.L.Picard.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:24 pm

Moongrim, I have a question. You said that it is a 1/350 scale. However looking at online specs the Sagittarius has 135m in length and the 1/350 scale would be a model with something around 38cm. Your seems to not have more than 10-15cm, so probably the scale of it would be 1/1000 instead. Not?

:?
Thanks,

Yan.

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:15 pm

NCC1966 wrote:Moongrim, I have a question. You said that it is a 1/350 scale. However looking at online specs the Sagittarius has 135m in length and the 1/350 scale would be a model with something around 38cm. Your seems to not have more than 10-15cm, so probably the scale of it would be 1/1000 instead. Not?

:?

I will have to look into this...later...

According to Memory Beta- http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Archer_class

It has a length of 45 meters. 4,500 cm. divided by 350 = 12.85 cm. About 5 inches...pretty close....
- J.L.Picard.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:15 pm

Moongrim wrote:According to Memory Beta- http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Archer_class

It has a length of 45 meters. 4,500 cm. divided by 350 = 12.85 cm. About 5 inches...pretty close....

My bad... when I researched for USS Sagittarius I came with the specs of a cargo Navy ship from 1943.

:lol:
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”