1st Pilot Enterprise 1/1000

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
generalrose
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

1st Pilot Enterprise 1/1000

Post by generalrose »

I was able to snag an extra 1/1000 Space Seed Enterprise (why didn't I just use the one I already had, good question that I'm not answering) at Michael's Today. There's a 40% off coupon that's valid through the 26th if anyone wants to grab one.

I love the look of the Pilot Enterprise. The Spiked Bussards, the extra large deflector. It's going to look great next to my NX-01 refit (which has to be decalled eventually).

I still consider myself a newbie model builder and I have one major question. How am I actually supposed to attach these nacelles to the pylons. My test fittings don't seem to work quite right.

https://imgur.com/a/1s6gm - Full Album of Proof of Start Photos

Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: 1st Pilot Enterprise 1/1000

Post by Julien »

Nice project !

I never succeeded at attaching those nacelles ! I usually end up breaking the tabs and having to glue them with ca or epoxy...
The Belgian Builder
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

generalrose wrote:I still consider myself a newbie model builder and I have one major question. How am I actually supposed to attach these nacelles to the pylons. My test fittings don't seem to work quite right.
Don't feel bad. You're not the only one who has had issues with the nacelle-pylon interface. I managed to do it once, and it happened so fast I didn't get a chance to commit to my memory the exact sequence of actions. As a result, I can't deconstruct the event in my head. Julien's suggestion is what I think most people, including me, do.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
generalrose

Post by generalrose »

el gato wrote:
generalrose wrote:I still consider myself a newbie model builder and I have one major question. How am I actually supposed to attach these nacelles to the pylons. My test fittings don't seem to work quite right.
Don't feel bad. You're not the only one who has had issues with the nacelle-pylon interface. I managed to do it once, and it happened so fast I didn't get a chance to commit to my memory the exact sequence of actions. As a result, I can't deconstruct the event in my head. Julien's suggestion is what I think most people, including me, do.
I might end up having to do that. I'm still not entirely sure which way they're "suppose" to fit together. Are the the pins/tabs I circled in the picture below the ones I should slice off to save myself a headache?

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Me? I just superglue the two together and putty/fill and a whole lotta sanding to make them appear smooth.

As to the warp engine fit onto the pylons- Invariably what I have to do with them is widen the engine hole until the pylon tab fits inside of it and have it look good. The downside of that is that when it comes time to apply the CYA to it I had to use several items to keep everything in place- often times it ended up looking like a Rube Goldberg contraption.

You'll encounter additional difficulties when you've painted the Bussards and try to fit them over the end. What I did to make those fit was sand down the end of the warp nacelles around the rim where the bussard collars cover.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Those pylons are a biotch to figure out but I found that it takes a rolling motion with the nacelle to get the tab to snap into place. Even then the attachment is tenuous without glue.

Regarding the outer bussard domes be careful as they are veeeeery brittle and will easily crack if you try to force them onto the inner ribbed dome. One modeller who had cracked a dome or two came up with some good advice which involved either cutting off the bottom of the inner dome or widening the slot the inner dome fits into inside the front of the nacelle. The intent is to allow the inner domes to fit just a little deeper (like 1/32" to 1/16" deeper) inside the front of the nacelle so they are not putting any pressure on the outer dome.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
generalrose

Post by generalrose »

Just popping in. I'm still alive and plan to be actually doing more then opening the package for this soon.

I've been quite busy lately with getting married and haven't had the time for a larger kit. I've been working on fixing up my 1/2500 Enterprise B though
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

generalrose wrote:Just popping in. I'm still alive and plan to be actually doing more then opening the package for this soon.

I've been quite busy lately with getting married and haven't had the time for a larger kit. I've been working on fixing up my 1/2500 Enterprise B though
Getting married can be rather distracting and all. So many things that get in the way of working on models...
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”