NCC1966 Entry - Pre-TOS Scratch Build - WITHDRAW

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

NCC1966 Entry - Pre-TOS Scratch Build - WITHDRAW

Postby NCC1966 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:27 pm

OK, This is my official entry...

I had this easy project that has been laying around on my workbench for a few weeks now and that I was awaiting for a chance to start it. When I got aware of this GB and noticed that I am still on time I decided to go for that!

:)

The ship suppose to be something that resembles what would be a pre-TOS Miranda class but doesn't intend to be exactly a Miranda. Being a TOS GB I am not sure if my pre-TOS ship matches the rules. If not, please let me know and I will withdraw my entry. OK, the ship will have the good old Federation structure with a main saucer and two nacelles below it. There will be an structure with a neck and a pair of pylons to support the nacelles. It will be done entirely from my mind, I am not going to use any visual reference (existing ship) and I don't have also a blueprint. It will be an ongoing project that I will improvise as I build it.

This is my first scratch build in my whole modeler's life so forgive me because I really don't know what I am doing! I will do my best to not embarrass you guys used to scratch building!

:lol:

Here it goes the picture with my "proof of start"!

PS: The weird box under the monitor contains mostly of the parts I will use to make the ship...

:mrgreen:
Last edited by NCC1966 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks,

Yan.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: NCC1966 Entry - Pre-TOS Scratch Build

Postby NCC1966 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:48 pm

Now, let's examine the "kit"... since it is my first SB venture I wanted to make it simple so I passed a few days looking around and picking spare parts that I could use without too much modifications and that could be more or less put together as a real kit. Here it goes:

Opening the box, we have two compact disks that will make the main saucer:

Then there are two marker pens that I bought on ebay and that I never used for the nacelles:

A few screw caps for nacelle endings and a very nice part that I borrow from my wife's coffee machine that will make an awesome bridge dome:

Here a butter can and a creamy cheese cup caps that I may use to give some extra volume to the saucer:

Finally a few wrist watch mechanism parts that I am willing to use for details. I am going to make two "service hatches" on the top of the saucer and I will use some of the really small gears to simulate their lock wheels. The bigger wheels I should install in the front of the nacelles as they would be deflectors. Finally the thing that looks like a headphone plug (it's not, it's a table clock part) I should install somewhere under the saucer as a phaser cannon:

The neck and pylons I will make out of some MDF scraps and along the build I hope to have some ideas to enrich the ship. It will be painted in a light grey and the decals will be custom made.

I have a small list of possible names and I am willing to baptize it with one of the following:

E.S.F. ATACAMA
E.S.F. BRASILIA
E.S.F. MONTREAL
E.S.F. HIROSHIMA
E.S.F. EXPLENDIDA
E.S.F. VESUVIO
E.S.F. VALENTINO
E.S.F. DEL REY
E.S.F. SOLARIS
E.S.F. PARIS
E.S.F. DUMONT
E.S.F. VIKING
E.S.F. VANILLA
E.S.F. AMARILLO
E.S.F. AMARULA
E.S.F. MADAGASCAR

And it's number will be NCX-414

PS: I wanted to get rid of the "U.S.S." and opted for "E.S.F." that supposed to be "Earth Star Fleet". The "NCX" is also a mix of "NX" and "NCC".

Thanks,

Yan.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:57 pm

So how many "watches" will you have aboard ship? :D

I like the the E.S.F. VANILLA for a name. :lol:
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:07 am

trekriffic wrote:So how many "watches" will you have aboard ship? :D

I like the the E.S.F. VANILLA for a name. :lol:

Nice pun!

:lol:

Anyway I have a small box with over 100 wrist watches clockworks (I really never counted) from where I can borrow parts plus an organizer with another bunch of parts (gears, tiny screws, crazy shaped parts, pointers, etc) from carcasses that I already disassembled... There was a time that I was engaged into make steampunk jewelry (mostly rings) so I used to bid on clockwork lots at eBay and got some nice deals... clockwork is something really attractive, all that mechanism altogether is really amazing!

PS: Suggestion for the name noted!

Last edited by NCC1966 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

Yan.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Well this is starting to look interesting- scratchbuild....
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:30 pm

Moongrim wrote:Well this is starting to look interesting- scratchbuild....

Tell me about it! I am scared! This will be my first scratch building AND my first Group Build!

:blownup:
Thanks,

Yan.

Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Vahmp » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:57 am

Só vc mesmo. :lol:

Nice pick of parts and greblies. :D
Laterz...
Vahmp

shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby shiftdel » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:51 am

Hey, in the last pic, one can see that your ship will have a wheel, lol

Just kidding, nice start!

Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Julien » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:12 pm

Interesting !

Is it something that will be really "pre-tos" and therefore done in a kind of retro TOS look or is it something like between "Enterprise" (the TV show) and TOS ?

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:06 pm

Julien wrote:Interesting !

Is it something that will be really "pre-tos" and therefore done in a kind of retro TOS look or is it something like between "Enterprise" (the TV show) and TOS ?

My idea is that it look like something around 50 years before the NCC-1701 be launched, so it should have a look more retro than Kirk's ship.

Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”