[COMPLETE] Bragging Rights Contest 2015 - VarneyJLV's Entry

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
VarneyJLV
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Re: Bragging Rights Contest 2015 - VarneyJLV's Entry

Postby VarneyJLV » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:19 pm

Moongrim wrote:Battle Damage!

I was able to patch up the area quite well with epoxy putty. I doubt anyone besides me (and now you) will ever be able to see the damage.

Tomorrow night I hope to get the base coat of paint on it, so with the new deadline this may still be doable. I just really want to be sure I have a detailed and accurate paint job in the end.

VarneyJLV

Postby VarneyJLV » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:58 pm

Almost there. Just need to wire the base and apply the decals (if they get here on time). Any good tips or tutorials on applying decals? I have not even attempted it since I was a kid, and back then I was awful at it.

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:00 pm

VarneyJLV wrote:Almost there. Just need to wire the base and apply the decals (if they get here on time). Any good tips or tutorials on applying decals? I have not even attempted it since I was a kid, and back then I was awful at it.

just take your time... and how old are the decals? older ones might need more soak time, and care when applying (if they don't disintegrate in the water)
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

VarneyJLV

Postby VarneyJLV » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:04 pm

MEATLOAFr wrote:just take your time... and how old are the decals? older ones might need more soak time, and care when applying (if they don't disintegrate in the water)

Well the original decals are from '93, but I am not using those. I ordered a set from JT-Graphics. Hence the "if they get here in time."

MEATLOAFr

Postby MEATLOAFr » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:47 am

VarneyJLV wrote:
MEATLOAFr wrote:just take your time... and how old are the decals? older ones might need more soak time, and care when applying (if they don't disintegrate in the water)

Well the original decals are from '93, but I am not using those. I ordered a set from JT-Graphics. Hence the "if they get here in time."

Let's hope the postal gods smile upon you... lick some stamps for luck

The Eye of Error
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby The Eye of Error » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:35 pm

Looks great even without the decals!

VarneyJLV

Postby VarneyJLV » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:46 pm

[COMPLETE]

Or as complete as it is going to get for this contest.

After departing the spacestation the Danube Class Runabout Rio Grande experienced multiple failures. Despite numerous preflight diagnostics both the port LEDs... um I mean Warp Coils, and Starboard marker lights have failed. This is indicated by a lack of visible photon emissions for the affected areas. Despite my belief this is likely a maintenance issue caused by human error, Admiral Leyton insists that it a result of Dominion sabotage.

On the Admiral's orderes I started to “doctor up” to hull to indicate battle damage. He claims that this will “help the war effort”, though I have my doubts. However do to a sudden malfunction of the gravity plating (more sabotage?) my Airbursh... I mean Hyperspanner, was ripped from my hand and seriously damaged. Replacement parts are on the way, but this plan has been temperately suspended.

Seriously, aside from the LED failure that I can't explain, I am pretty happy with this model. My other big complaint is that I feel that my weathering is a little lack-luster. It does not feel “to scale” with the model, and makes the previously pristine paint-job of the model feel dirty, as opposed to the ship feeling dirty. If that makes any sense.

I really love my new Badger 360 airbrush, I just wish I had not been clumsy and broken it already. However I have plenty of replacement parts on the way, so I will be able to add battle damage soon enough.

I did learn a lot this time around. Hopefully I can apply the lessons learned to my old Excelsior, which is next on my list.

The above images has been cropped and slightly color corrected. A ton of unedited images can be found here.

MEATLOAFr

Re: [COMPLETE] Bragging Rights Contest 2015 - VarneyJLV's En

Postby MEATLOAFr » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:41 pm

:dreadsbanana: :dreadsbanana: :dreadsbanana: :dreadsbanana: :dreadsbanana: :dreadsbanana:

LOOKS GREAT

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:27 am

MEATLOAFr wrote::dreadsbanana: :dreadsbanana: :dreadsbanana: :dreadsbanana: :dreadsbanana: :dreadsbanana:

LOOKS GREAT

+1 I agree, it looks really good!
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

The Eye of Error
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby The Eye of Error » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:40 pm

yes, looks awesome! Great work. I think the weathering is good. Runabouts were a bit dirty, but not klingon dirty :P

Return to “2015 Group Build (Closed)”