Possible 1000 Projects from Round 2

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Re: Possible 1000 Projects from Round 2

Postby Kratok » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:12 pm

jkb-1 wrote:If I could only get one, I have to go for the Voyager.

I would have to agree.

I have a significant financial investment in both 1:1400 and 1:2500 scale. I would love to get excited about 1:1000, but I think it came along too late for me. Plus, my primary interest is in TNG and DS9 era ships. While there are LOTS of 1:1000 ships out there, most are resin, and TNG/DS9 are under-represented. If I take on another scale, it would only be for styrene kits, with the specific intent of lighting. So if Round 2 started releasing TNG/DS9 ships in styrene, that might very well tip the scales for me.

And truly, while I think most Trek fans would love to have the ships in this hypothetical list, I think a lot of them are pipe dreams. They have to make money. Period. And injection molds are tremendously expensive. That is why the manufacturers have stayed primarily with Hero ships, and left the more obscure ships to the GK industry. That is not a bad thing – it is simple economics. And I appreciate everything that has been provided to the community to date. But with that business perspective in mind, here are my thoughts on the list.

Constellation
Unlikely. Regardless of opinions on her beauty (or lack thereof), too obscure to warrant a mainstream injection molded kit when numerous (financially safer) hero ships have not been released yet (Think “Kazon Torpedo”)

FJ Scout/Destroyer
Possible. Many of the components utilize existing molds (TOS E), so it would be an inexpensive release. Boils down to licensing issues.

Battle Damaged refit with Drydock
Doubtful. They are not going to cut up the existing Refit molds to make a damaged ship, and they are not going to make new molds of a ship already kitted. Any battle damage would likely be in the form of decals. And while the drydock would make a cool display, it has tons of fiddly bits. The kit would have to be oversimplified (leaving no one happy), or far more intricate and with a higher parts count than any 1:1000 kit to date (missing most of the target audience). I am also told that distributors could not GIVE away the few drydocks that have been done in resin. I just don’t see this one happening in styrene.

K’t’inga
Another possibility. Villains don’t sell as well as Feddies, but this is an iconic ship. Good size, etc. Given that the visually similar TOS D7 is already out there, though, I suspect they would do a different villain first.

Enterprise D
A good possibility for the next large ship. Not much larger than the 1:350 ships already released, an easily recognizable Feddie hero ship, and a constant Grail Kit/Wish List entry on all the boards. But given the frequency with which they release the Big Boys, this one is probably several years off at best. That said, this would definitely push me over to 1:1000 as a third build scale, and I would ABSOLUTELY buy one.

Defiant
Maybe. They brought out a very accurate TOS Rom BOP when there was already a larger offering, and I could see them doing the same here. It is a popular subject.

Voyager
I think this is the most likely of the bunch. Hasn’t been done in this scale, good size, hero ship, Feddie, visually quite distinct from the other offerings, digital work could also be used to produce a 1:2500 Cadet offering, and the Voyager also is a logical choice to break into TNG/DS9 in 1:1000 scale. I am putting my money on this one as the most likely.

Grissom/KBOP 2 pack
I think this is probably the second most likely. Again, iconic ships from the movies AND series. They are small(ish), making the molds more manageable in terms of cost. The villain offering is different visually from the TOS D7, avoiding the “same-old-same-old” factor for a villain release. It releases both a feddie and a villain together, helping to boost sales of the historically less popular villain by default. However, since a villain was just released (TOS BOP), I don’t see another villain being included in the next release. Maybe a couple releases down the line.

Again, I think there are LOTS of kits we would all like to see, but in the end it boils down to a financial question. Is there enough interest, and will it sell enough to pay for the molds/production costs and still turn a profit? Putting our own interests aside, and looking at it from that perspective, I am betting on Voyager. Of course, there is also no guarantee that the next candidate is even ON this list.

Anyway, if you are writing to Round 2, I would pick your favorite and stick to that. Clearly, any serious Trek modeling fan would love to see ALL of these. But they can only release one at a time, and that has to do well enough to justify bringing out the next. Again, focusing on the business aspect, I think 30 letters saying “I want to see kit X” is going to carry more weight than 100 letters saying “I want to see them all”.

Just my $0.02. We’ll see what happens. Regardless, this is a Golden Age for Trek modelers. We have never had it so good.

Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Shark » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:51 pm

Well Kratok, my friend, I appreciate your breakdown and your perspective. Round 2 did generate that list so I would think all of them would be a possibility. What I think makes the difference is public opinion; the same thing happened with the 1/1000 Reliant, it was the most popular item on a list and was therefore produced - now how much of an affect that poll had on the outcome is unknown; the Reliant was at the top of many a persons list for a good long time so that itself could have been the greatest influencer.

I was hoping they'd release some of the Miranda class variants before moving on to other subjects first but that doesn't seem to be the case. They don't seem too interested in producing those variants at this time, though with the advent of the NX-01 refit - anything is possible. :)

Kratok

Postby Kratok » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:24 am

Indeed. Anything is possible. My post was just my thoughts on the subject. Not meant to sway anyone, or shatter any dreams. Just my take on what may happen with this particular list - nothing more.

They are clearly reading these threads, so keep feeding them ideas. They have, in general, been giving us what we have been clamoring for.

Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Shark » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:17 am

Kratok wrote:Indeed. Anything is possible. My post was just my thoughts on the subject. Not meant to sway anyone, or shatter any dreams. Just my take on what may happen with this particular list - nothing more.

They are clearly reading these threads, so keep feeding them ideas. They have, in general, been giving us what we have been clamoring for.

You're quite right. I apologize if I was being rude or came off as confontational. :D

Scotchyn
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Scotchyn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:00 pm

http://www.collectormodel.com/round2-mo ... 7cxps.dpbs

leave your responses in the blog post....

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:32 pm

Responded:
1) Swat Fink
2) D 1:350 K'tinga
3) 349 meters.
4) E 1:1000 Battle Damaged refit w/Drydock
5) D 1:1000 Grissom w/ KBOP
6) A 1:2500 Akira
7) A 1:1000 Enterprise D
8) B Ultra Probe
9) A 22" Eagle with Lab Pod
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby shiftdel » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:54 am

mine was
1 - Ugly Guy
2 - D) 1:350 K'tinga
3 - A) 214m.
4 - C) 1:2500 Nebula-class (Enterprise 1701-D variant)
5 - D) 1:1000 USS Grissom/ KBoP scale 2-pack
6 - B) 1:2500 Excelsior/Ent-B, Oberth, KBoP 3-pack
7 - B) 1:350 Ktinga
8 - A) 1:48 Hawk
9 - A) 22″ Eagle Transporter W/ LAB POD

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:35 pm

My answers were:

1) Purpaul
4) 1:2500 Nebula Class
5) 1:1000 USS Voyager
6) 1:2500 USS Akira
7) 1:1000 Enterprise 1701-D

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

Richard Baker
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby Richard Baker » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:40 pm

I don't thing Round 2 has the license for produce any kits from the Voyager series- those were initially a Monogram release.

Scotchyn
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Scotchyn » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:22 pm

They can produce anything Trek except JJ, the Monogram/Revell is only Europe..so Voyager is still on the table

Return to “1/1000”