Romulan Bird-of-Prey from TOS by Polar Lights-FINISHED PICS!

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Romulan Bird-of-Prey from TOS by Polar Lights-FINISHED PICS!

Post by trekriffic » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:41 pm

Looking for something easy to work on after some minor burnout out on my "Christine" movie car build and wanted to get back to Trek modeling so broke out this bad puppy from the stash...

Box art...

Box cover:
ImageRomulan TOS BOP 1/1000 Scale by trekriffic, on Flickr

Back of box:

Side panels with some nice angles:

Kit contents:

Assembly instructions:

Pretty basic but, then again, there aren't that many parts eh?

Paint and decal guide:

Paint guide closeup:

I'm pretty sure I'll be deviating from these recommendations. Still on the fence about lighting her. Gotta cogitate on that for a bit...

Stay tuned!
Last edited by trekriffic on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: Romulan Bird-of-Prey from TOS by Polar Lights

Post by Moongrim » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Staying tuned, and looking forwards to what you end up having in mind...
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:54 pm

I still haven't gotten this kit. I should pick it up before I forget again. ;-)

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:50 pm

OK guys here we go...

I went to the hobbystore today and got some 5/16" and 1/4" O.D. aluminum tubing to replace the plastic nozzles at the ends of the nacelles. The 1/4" tubing will slip inside the 5/16" tubing so I will have to cut one narrow section of 5/16" for the first ring and then a longer section at an angle for the nozzle itself with a small gap in between where the groove is in the kit plastic. Both sections will slide on over the 1/4" tubing.

I also bought two colors of ModelMaster enamel in the jar for the top and bottom of the hull and wings.

And I've pretty much made up my mind to drill out the windows so I got four extra size 80 bits to drill holes for fiber optic strands.
If I get all the holes drilled without breaking at least one or two bits it will be miracle!
To that end I made copies of the decal sheets on the office copier so I can cut out the bow windows and tape them to the model for use in where to locate the holes. I also noticed the decal sheet includes two options (all lit and some lit) for decals onthe bow windows so I could also apply one set of decals for use in drilling out windows (which would probably destroy them) then sand those off and apply the other set once the model is all done and painted.

Still need to figure out how I'm going to get power into this bird; ideally it will be some type of power plug and jack arrangement in the stern so the model can be removed from the base.

Another consideration is hull plating and/or aztecing.

Decisions, decisions...

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:19 pm

I'm really looking forward to this buildup. I'm about to decal my 1/2500 RBOP and though it seems kind of a simple ship to make when doing it my way, I admire your ambition to put more into it. Go for the hull plating

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:05 pm

Thanks for the comment DefiantClient! I have some ideas for hull plating I found on the web to consider now.

Finished the new metal exhaust nozzles last night...

Unfortunately I discovered the 5/16" OD x .014" thick tubing I bought was too small in diameter when compared to the kit part so I opted to use some 3/8" OD x .035" wall aluminum tubing instead. The .035" wall thickness was too thick though so I ground it down using a grinder and some round files, one of which was diamond coated. I thinned it until the 1/4" OD x .014" tubing I'd bought would fit inside it:

ImageGrinding Down the Wall Thickness by trekriffic, on Flickr

Looks to be just the right size:

ImageAluminum Tube Replacement Nozzle by trekriffic, on Flickr

Two rings were cut from the 3/8" tubing and slid on over the 1/4" tubing leaving a small gap between each of them and between the first ring and the metal nozzle. This matched the grooves on the plastic kit nozzles. Not bad, not bad:

ImagePlastic versus Aluminum Nozzle by trekriffic, on Flickr

The kit nozzle was sawed off and the rear locator pin and socket were removed to allow the aluminum tube to fit into the back of the nacelle. The inner tube is perfect for mounting a 3mm LED inside for lighting:

ImageNew Nozzle Test Fit by trekriffic, on Flickr

The nacelle with it's new metal exhaust nozzle in place. I won't actually glue them in until the model is almost done:

ImageNew Metal Nozzle by trekriffic, on Flickr

ImageNew Nozzle by trekriffic, on Flickr

After the succesful test fitting I polished the nozzles with some polishing compound to remove any minor surface scratches and such:

ImagePolishing the Nozzles by trekriffic, on Flickr

I'll probably go for something like this with the lighting:

ImageRomulan Bird-of-Prey by trekriffic, on Flickr

Next up will be drilling out the windows. I made 3-4 copies of the decal sheet and cut out the bow windows. Here you can see where I used double-sided scotch tape to afix the templates to the bow of the ship as a drilling guide:

ImageTemplates for Window Drilling by trekriffic, on Flickr

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:04 pm

Wow!

This is looking great so far!!!!!! I'm hooked.

Andy

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:10 pm

andyh wrote:Wow!

This is looking great so far!!!!!! I'm hooked.

Andy
Thanks! Hope you stay that way Andy!

More progress on the power connection into the stern of the model...

I did find a small size H DC power coaxial plug at Radio Shack but oddly enough they did not carry the size H female jack to fit it so I looked online and found a 1.3mm ID plug and jack at All Electronics. They weren't expensive at all but they wanted 8 bucks MINIMUM for shipping so I passed on that. Also their web page, although it had an image of the jack shown, did not give me any dimensions so there was no way to know if it would even fit into the back of the ship. I ended up deciding to go with a male-female power coupler arrangement I'd gotten from Modeler's Brand Hobby Supplies awhile back.

First I had to remove the locator pin and socket from the rear of the upper and lower hull and carve out a slot for the coupelr to pass thru:

ImageRemoval of Material by trekriffic, on Flickr

ImageSlot by trekriffic, on Flickr

First test fit:

ImagePower Connector Test Fit by trekriffic, on Flickr

The plastic power coupler was trimmed at an angle to match the angle at the stern then glued to the hull using Plastic Surgery CA glue:

ImageFemale Power Coupler by trekriffic, on Flickr

Since the plastic of the coupler looked to be vinyl I was worried paint might not stick to it so I left it recessed a little and framed the opening with styrene strip which will take enamel or lacquer based paints:

ImageFraming of Power Coupler Opening by trekriffic, on Flickr

The male part of the power coupler slides into the stern for a good tight fit. The bottom of the tail fin did have to be filled off a small amount to allow for clearance with the the connector. Mounting the male connector to the brass display stand arm will be a neat trick:

ImageMale Power Coupler Inserted by trekriffic, on Flickr

A new curved display arm made from rectangular brass tubing was fashioned to fit the rectangular power connector. A short length of round brass tubing was soldered to the underside to fit into the dome stand and wires were passed up it and out the top of the arm:

ImageNew Stand Arm by trekriffic, on Flickr

The display arm can turn but I will probably glue it into the top of the kit provided dome base:

ImageDispay Base In Progress by trekriffic, on Flickr

Next...

More window and sensor port drilling goodness (and drill bit breakage frustration)! :lol:

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:22 pm

As promised... more fun with drilling holes!

In keeping with designations used on blueprints I found on the internet back when I worked on my large AMT BOP, I'm calling the square framed openings observation windows and the round openings sensor ports.
Here's the bow of the ship after drilling out both. I used a pinvise with a micro bit to fit 20 mil diameter fiber. The paper templates worked great, all holes lined up nice and straight:

ImageWindow and Sensor Openings Drilled by trekriffic, on Flickr

After drilling out all the round sensor ports and square observation windows in the upper hull (aside from the sensor ports in the cupola itself) I flared the end of some 10 mil fiber optic strand using a BIC lighter and inserted it into one of the holes:

ImageFiber Optic Test by trekriffic, on Flickr

The fiber strand with its flared end can be seen in the hole at the upper left in this photo. It lights up nicely as you can see in this test when compared with the empty ports:

ImageSensor Ports and Windows Drilled and Fiber Test by trekriffic, on Flickr

That's it for now. Drilling out the openings in the upper hull cost me another drill bit so hopefully I can finish drilling out all the sensor ports on the cupola with the remaining three bits I have left... Wish me luck!

Moongrim

Post by Moongrim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:59 am

Best of luck.
$8 for S&H? Can't blame ya.

Watching the progress most eagerly.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “1/1000”