Refitting a Potemkin Refit

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Refitting a Potemkin Refit

Postby Drop_Bear » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:05 am

Okay, so this is not a build thread; but this is something I think people will still find of some interest. I am going to strip and repaint my refitted USS Potemkin. There is a reason why I have never shared pictures of this model before; she looks horrid.

The Potemkin was my first serious attempt at building a model, and it kind of shows. I first accurised this Polar Lights model by splicing in a replacement impulse deck, torpedo launcher fairing, and B/C deck/bridge module from Tetryon Parts. Later, I decided to swap the stock deflector for an Excelsior class replacement I found in the bottom of the box of an Enterprise-B kit. The less said about the paint the better. Decals are a mix of stock, Polar Lights aftermarket, and custom. The registry markings were made by JT Graphics. For no particular reason I added the racing stripes from the aforementioned Enterprise-B kit. They are actually for the underside of the Enterprise's saucer.

As proud as I am of it, I am ashamed of the lousy job I did painting the strongback and my laziness for not finish the detail painting. The strongback is actually meant to be light grey. I don't know what happened there.

To be perfectly honest, I have never stripped a model before; but I'm fairly confident that what I am doing will work. I'm using Simple Green to take the paint off the model. This is just ordinary household cleaner, believe it or not, but it is supposed to work as a paint stripper.

In Australia you can buy 2 litre bottles of an orange scented All Purpose Cleaner concentrate from Bunnings Warehouse. While I was there I also picked up a pack of heavy duty ruber gloves, a stiff bristled scrubbing brush, and a 4 litre plastic container to soak the model in.

I also had a look around the front yard and found two bits of paver to hold the lid down. The container does not have clasps and I don't trust it to seal itself.

It helps that I never actually glued the nacelles onto the pylons. Without the nacelles Potemkin can be soaked in a smaller container and will be easier to repaint later on. This was either brilliant forethought or just laziness on my part. I don't really remember which it is.

Last edited by Drop_Bear on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:22 am, edited 6 times in total.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Refitting a Potemkin Refit

Postby Drop_Bear » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:56 am

I filled the container right to the top and carefully submerged the model in its bath of Simple Green. The idea here is to let the model soak in the stuff for a few days. I'm a little hazy on what comes next, but instinct tells me to scrub the model with my stiff bristled brush and wash it out with water. Because Potemkin is hollow, she didn't sink to the bottom, but just floated close to the surface. I tried moving her around a bit to shake off the pressure inside the secondary hull that was keeping it from being filled and ballasted with Simple Green. I had no luck with that, unfortunately.

Wearing gloves is a good idea, obviously. This stuff is supposed to ne non-toxic, but it always pays to take precautions; especially with household cleaners. Off screen I am wearing a plastic faceshield I don when spray painting. That was just paranoia. It did make filling the container kinda fun, though. I felt like I was handling nuclear material. :P

You can see here the problem I was having. I understand the science behind this, but can't really explain it. I would if I could. I was about to call it a day and allow this state of affairs to continue when I had an idea.

Rocks! I found three smallish smooth rocks, gave them a little wash under a tap, and placed them on the primary hull. Success! I then tucked the nacelles under the rest of the starship.

Now to wait. I am going to give this... oh, say, four or five days, but I will check on it once a day. With any luck I will have an update with photos of a clean, naked Potemkin by next week. If I have missed something, feel free to tell me. I can sometimes be a little standoffish when I am engrossed in something, but I'm always happy to learn something new.
Last edited by Drop_Bear on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:21 am, edited 6 times in total.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:02 am

Okay, I had my doubts about Simple Green, but no longer. If - like me - you have never thought of using a household cleaner to take paint off, you should have a look at this:

Within hours, hours, it has started eating through the paint and clear coat. Dude! That. is impressive.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:12 pm

Drop_Bear wrote:Okay, I had my doubts about Simple Green, but no longer. If - like me - you have never thought of using a household cleaner to take paint off, you should have a look at this:

Within hours, hours, it has started eating through the paint and clear coat. Dude! That. is impressive.

No need to wonder why about the need to wear gloves....
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:40 pm

Moongrim wrote:No need to wonder why about the need to wear gloves....

You can bath in Simple Green. One reason I love the stuff.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:01 pm

Tesral wrote:
Moongrim wrote:No need to wonder why about the need to wear gloves....

You can bath in Simple Green. One reason I love the stuff.

My brother was telling me it may be safe to brush your teeth with it, however I think my limits with it is to not wear gloves.

Drop Bear, it's still not a bad idea to wear gloves if you don't want to smell like orange (or pine for the stuff I use) for a day or two. You're absolutely correct that you need to thoroughly wash the surface when it's stripped. It may still smell a little when you're done scrubbing, but I've noticed that when the model is finished the smell goes away.

I'm very glad the Simple Green is working.

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 am

Drop_Bear wrote:Okay, I had my doubts about Simple Green, but no longer. If - like me - you have never thought of using a household cleaner to take paint off, you should have a look at this:

now let it dry, clear coat again and you have a battle damage looking ship :lol:

good to see what you found is working
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:28 am

So the gloves aren't necessary? Huh. I think I'll continue to wear them, though; they do keep one's hands fairly dry.

What I am actually unclear about is the method for cleaning the model. I'm thinking of transferring it to a bucket of water to do the scrubbing, and then soaking it in a second container or bucket of water for a few days to dilute and wash out any Simple Green trapped inside the model's cavities.

MEATLOAFr wrote:now let it dry, clear coat again and you have a battle damage looking ship :lol:

I think it looks rather like a novelty jelly ("jell-o"). Which leads me to wonder how impressed dinner guests would be, if you served them the Battle of the Mutara Nebula for dessert. :P

MEATLOAFr

Postby MEATLOAFr » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:41 am

Drop_Bear wrote:
I think it looks rather like a novelty jelly ("jell-o"). Which leads me to wonder how impressed dinner guests would be, if you served them the Battle of the Mutara Nebula for dessert. :P

Revenge is... um, er... Dessert.... is best served cold :klingon:
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:50 am

Another Simple Green update today, brought to you by SOYLENT GREEN. Soylent Green. made from people, for people. :P

I'm growing more and more impressed with Simple Green's paint stripping abilities. I haven't been able to help myself in checking on Potemkin every couple of hours and good thing, too, because this afternoon the paint and decals were loose enough to start scrubbing. I took the model and nacelles out of the Simple Green one at a time and srubbed them in a bucket of water before returning them to their bath of household cleaner. This stuff is working so well it's even taking the primer off! :o That's exactly what I want it to do, but still; I didn't think it actually would. I understand now why Simple Green is so highly regarded.

I give this one or two more days before I transfer Potemkin to a container of water to dilute the Simple Green on and inside the model. That will take a day or two. Then, once everything is dry, I will go over the model and fill and/or sand any seam or gap I find.

Return to “1/1000”