Refitting a Potemkin Refit

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Refitting a Potemkin Refit

Post by Drop_Bear »

Remove these two brackets (marked with black lines). Once you do the torpedo launcher housing will slot into place.

This part is advertised as being pretty much plug and play... but it always seems to require a little fiddling to get it to work. Ah well, a little Aves and some scraps of styrene will take of things.

I mentioned wanting to make a raised gangway hatch yesterday. And here it is. I made this out of tiny pieces of 0.5 mm strip styrene; four to make a square and one on either side to make a rectangle. I like how this turned out. It looks much better than a decal and especially the decals that come with the Polar Lights kit.

That's it for today. Thanks for reading!
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear »

Because I had my paints out for another project, I decided to light block Potemkin's saucer today. This is why I haven't reinstalled the B/C deck yet; I needed that access hole. The light blocking process involved painting black the areas I could reach with a brush and then dumping more paint in and working it into the crevices. I am never doing it this way again. Ugh. It was like a Vegemite sandwich gone horribly wrong. Sticky black paint weeping from the seams; sticky black paint staining the plastic; smelly turps streaking said sticky black paint. :doh:

But on the plus side....

"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

Looking good. I never needed to light block mine. I noticed someone shaves the lettering off the inside too (trekriffic?). I never had to do that either. I wonder if it's because of the thickness of the paint I use.

I really like the airlock you built. Reminds me of some photo etch hatches I've seen.
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear »

I'm just overengineering things, really. I would do the nacelles too, if I could get them open; because I know those will be translucent. Perhaps a basecoat of black for the nacelles... :thinking:

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear »

Well... poopie. :shock: :oops:

I managed to get the saucer opened after all. I was just poking it with my knife when I realised that it was no longer glued together. Bloody thing was a horrible, sticky mess. Like a clutch off a car that's been sitting in someone's front yard for the better part of a decade. I ruined a knife blade, stained the knife handle and my cutting mat, and I had to resort to using Simple Green to scrub the frakking paint off my fingers. I have the parts soaking in in a bath of that crap. Lesson learned... whatever lesson it might be. Don't do it again, I suppose.

I hate black paint. It's worse than poo when it comes to making messes.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

Sorry tha experiment didin't work out. Hey, no real loss though. I'd say it's time to reassemble and primer though, unless there's more work to be done that we're not seeing. :)
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

I'll be sure to not use black paint in that context then.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear »

Did I say something wrong? :?

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear »

DefiantClient wrote:Sorry tha experiment didin't work out. Hey, no real loss though. I'd say it's time to reassemble and primer though, unless there's more work to be done that we're not seeing. :)
The experiment wasn't a failure; this is just a minor setback. I need to use less paint and having the saucer in pieces will make reinstalling the B/C deck a breeze.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

Drop_Bear wrote:Did I say something wrong? :?
Nope. Just seems like it was a lesson learned. I think you're taking the tone of the post wrong. Tone isn't conveyed well through text.

Ah okay, it definitely blocks some light, but the lesson learned is, make sure it's in parts when done. At least now we all know it isn't a great idea to do it when if's assembled. :)

Return to “1/1000”