Refitting a Potemkin Refit

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Re: Refitting a Potemkin Refit

Postby Tesral » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:59 am

Drop_Bear wrote:Er... I hope you are joking about the nude frolicking, Tesral. If not... try and keep that sort of thing to yourself. :) I get the message. What I said was pretty ignorant, but I meant well.

There are these people called the Polar Bear Club.
polar-bear-club.jpg
polar-bear-club.jpg (25.12 KiB) Viewed 2211 times

I don't consider them entirely sane.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:04 am

I wouldn't, either.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:33 am

This is my aunt Terrie. In Antarctica.

IN FRAKKING ANTARCTICA, PEOPLE. AND LOOK AT HER BATHING SUIT.

I'm entirely ready to admit that my Aunt has quantifiable mental issues, just from the evidence of this photo alone. But she's got Wanderlust in her heart, and she's an amazing storyteller, so she's generally what you call an awesome crazy person.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:07 am

That face really says it all. :lol:

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:17 pm

DefiantClient wrote:That face really says it all. :lol:

Yes it does. Especially considering this wasn't the first time she took that plunge. Allow me to quote (I know we're getting far afield of the Potempkin, but we'll get right back to that in a mo'):

Aunt Terrie wrote:I did it twice actually. The first time was so fast, I wanted to be able to experience it and taste the water and feel the sensations so I made the plunge again. They had a phographer on the National Geographic Explorer getting underwater photos of all who made the plunge!

Yep. I love that crazy lady. The really crazy thing? I'm a bit envious, and I want to do it myself. :lol:

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:13 am

Eh, don't worry about straying off topic, guys. Potemkin's going to be in pieces for a while yet, so it's not like there is much on-topic stuff to talk about. :) Your aunt is unbelievably cool, novahobbies. Going to Antartica is one thing, but going there and swimming? That takes guts.

Well, while I'm here...

I'm waiting on a set of parts from Tetryon Parts before starting on reassembly. The second bath of Simple Green weakened the impulse deck and I tore it pulling it off the saucer. I'm replacing the B/C deck and torpedo launchers as well, just as a precaution. Paint will have to wait a couple of months. I needed a new gadget and some supplies for my other hobby, barbecuing, and that ate up what I had budgeted for paint.

And my Phobos decals set arrived the other day. I haven't looked at all of the decals yet, but I can use the phaser banks for Potemkin. The decal I wanted, the über cool '3D' officers' lounge is exactly as simple an illusion as I had suspected. I should have no trouble aping the trick for the botanical gardens on the secondary hull.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:38 am

I got a parcel from Canada today.

It's a good thing I'm replacing all three parts because it was pretty obvious that the old B/C deck is knackered. It would be, after being painted and then later submerged in an undiluted household cleaner. You can see how some of the detail has faded or been lost.

After prepping the saucer for surgery (by which I mean removing the stuck-on bits of resin around the hole for the impulse deck) I gave the impulse engines and B/C deck a quick wash in soapy water and slotted them into place. A good amount of superglue ensures that they won't budge.

Finally. I have the B/C deck installed properly. Am I happy? You bet! Just not in the jumping up and down grinning like an escaped looney kind of way. I might have been, if I hadn't taken my Ritalin this morning and if I hadn't run out of coffee three days ago. Spare a flat white without sugar for the undercaffinated? :P

That's it for the moment. I'm aiming to fill the seam around the B/C deck before I make dinner later and I want to tinker with the navigational deflector a little, so I might have another update tonight.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:29 pm

Excellent -- those new parts looks VERY nice! Looking forward to watching this come together!

Stonewall
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby Stonewall » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:08 pm

WOW look at the love. Great on going project you have going. Looking forward to seeing more.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:18 am

Thanks, guys!

I had the Aves out today. I applied it around the inside of the saucer to better secure the B/C deck. I also used it to start filling the seam around it.

This is actually a very nice shot of the bridge module. I have to get another one like this when Potemkin's painted and decalled.

Return to “1/1000”