Federation Class Starship- Long haul Project 08/27/2016

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
User avatar
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Posts: 4943
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 pm
Location: West of Eugene Oregon.

Federation Class Starship- Long haul Project 08/27/2016

Postby Moongrim » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:07 pm

The (upgraded) Federation Class Dreadnought.
Image

This one is going to be a pill to engineer.

There are three primary problems in the creation of this one.
1) The middle Warp Engine.
This won't be as big a problem as I thought. As it appears that Federation Models is now offering Ascension Class warp engines as a standalone, including the center engine. Good. That way I won't have to sacrifice any more kits to obtain them. RMC-80 and 81 for those interested.
2) The (lower) Warp Engine Pylons.
Dred 3.jpg

This is going to be a bit more of a problem. But I think I can come up with something attainable. I'm going to go for getting several sheets of styrene, cutting them out, and sandwiching them together. What I have planned is to reproduce the above jpg file onto paper in the same size as what I want, using it to trace out the pattern and then shaping it. I'm thinking at least 3 layers. The reason being- the flush vents visible at the aft ends. I had thought about cannibalizing a 1K refit kit but the flush vents wouldn't look right without the proper orientation.

3) The Secondary Hull.
Dred 2.jpg

This is going to be the fun one. As you can see, the Federation class secondary hull is just ever so slightly longer than the Enterprise secondary hull. So- no sneaking in a standard secondary hull. I'm going to have to engineer something.

First off- how long is it supposed to be?
Dred 1.jpg

The Enterprise's Secondary hull is 110 millimeters. Now to use cross multiplication to get an idea of how long the Fed's is.
But that's just the beginning. I can't just slap in an appropriate width of tubing onto it. There is also the matter of ensuring it look 'natural', like it belongs there. THAT will be the bigger challenge.
And, also reinforcing all of that hull, then cutting into it to place the W.E. Pylon. And keep all of that straight. What makes is slightly easier (perhaps) is that the shuttle bay on the Fed has a bit of extra lip to it.

And I intend to do it twice. Once for the Federation Class, and once more for the Balson Class which I will build eventually as well.
Image
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Max Nex
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Federation Class Starship- Long haul Project 08/27/2016

Postby Max Nex » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:37 pm

I applaud you for this undertaking :thumbsup:

other changes include:
new bridge module with 2 docking ports
B/C deck area enlarged and a fifth window added
Warp Nacelle Control Reactors (bulges) moved further forward -nacelles appear more pushed back
center nacelle has two INboard halves-both glowing
interconnecting dorsal has single rear facing MK 70 torpedo tube.
(this is visible on Balson's top view if you look closely)

some of this information comes from the dreadnought poster, that I am guessing you do not have.

I have thought of doing this in 1:350 ,but if would need a much bigger workbench than I have.

User avatar
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain
Posts: 620
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Re: Federation Class Starship- Long haul Project 08/27/2016

Postby novahobbies » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:13 pm

I can't say I paticularly care for the Balson, but I love the uprated Federation class style and I know you'll definitely do it justice! You're right, the secondary hull will be the hardest piece to fabricate here. You might even consider turning a new center portion on a lathe and just using the fore and aft parts from the plastic kit. Have fun!

cosika321
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:22 am
Location: Parma, OH USA

Re: Federation Class Starship- Long haul Project 08/27/2016

Postby cosika321 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:13 pm

If you don't mind playing the waiting game, Modular Models has some extended refit hulls available. I have one on order and have ordered some other parts from him that go toward a Federation class build.

User avatar
Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral
Posts: 3197
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: Dearborn, Mi -- at my desk.
Contact:

Re: Federation Class Starship- Long haul Project 08/27/2016

Postby Tesral » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:31 am

Max Nex wrote:I applaud you for this undertaking :thumbsup:

other changes include:
new bridge module with 2 docking ports
B/C deck area enlarged and a fifth window added
Warp Nacelle Control Reactors (bulges) moved further forward -nacelles appear more pushed back
center nacelle has two INboard halves-both glowing
interconnecting dorsal has single rear facing MK 70 torpedo tube.
(this is visible on Balson's top view if you look closely)

some of this information comes from the dreadnought poster, that I am guessing you do not have.

I have thought of doing this in 1:350 ,but if would need a much bigger workbench than I have.


Modular Models has a lot of this. I got the A deck with two ports from them. I have not used it yet. Them may have other part to help as well.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

cosika321
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:22 am
Location: Parma, OH USA

Re: Federation Class Starship- Long haul Project 08/27/2016

Postby cosika321 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:05 am

Yes, they have quite a bit. I think pretty much everything except the main nacelle pylon.

http://www.modular-models.com/products/ ... -hull.html
http://www.modular-models.com/products/ ... ridge.html
http://www.modular-models.com/products/ ... celle.html
http://www.modular-models.com/products/ ... in-800.JPG
http://www.modular-models.com/products/ ... on-800.JPG

I have the extended secondary hull on order and already have the other parts myself. They are very nicely done, the only drawback is MM is notoriously slow in filling orders, so you will have to wait a bit for the parts.

User avatar
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Posts: 4943
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 pm
Location: West of Eugene Oregon.

Re: Federation Class Starship- Long haul Project 08/27/2016

Postby Moongrim » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:49 pm

cosika321 wrote:Yes, they have quite a bit. I think pretty much everything except the main nacelle pylon.

http://www.modular-models.com/products/ ... -hull.html
http://www.modular-models.com/products/ ... ridge.html
http://www.modular-models.com/products/ ... celle.html
http://www.modular-models.com/products/ ... in-800.JPG
http://www.modular-models.com/products/ ... on-800.JPG

I have the extended secondary hull on order and already have the other parts myself. They are very nicely done, the only drawback is MM is notoriously slow in filling orders, so you will have to wait a bit for the parts.


Well Son of a Buck! :shock:
For some reason I was under the impression that Modular Models was defunct.
Thank You Very Much Cosika. This reduces considerably the amount of work I'll have to do on such a project.

Now, just to scrape up the fundage necessary. I'm going to have to review what all MM has available, if anything else the Dreadnought Bridge section is something I can replace the one from the Gizmotron model part I pinched.

Yes, he is quite slow. I've ordered from him before. For some reason the center pylon mount isn't showing up on his list nor is the extended neck...
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

cosika321
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:22 am
Location: Parma, OH USA

Re: Federation Class Starship- Long haul Project 08/27/2016

Postby cosika321 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Moongrim wrote:For some reason the center pylon mount isn't showing up on his list nor is the extended neck...


Try looking under Starships 1/1000/Refit Secondary Hull and Related parts and scroll down to the bottom of the page. There's a link to a whole bunch of parts under the Extended Dorsal link.

User avatar
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Posts: 4943
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 pm
Location: West of Eugene Oregon.

Re: Federation Class Starship- Long haul Project 08/27/2016

Postby Moongrim » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:35 pm

cosika321 wrote:
Moongrim wrote:For some reason the center pylon mount isn't showing up on his list nor is the extended neck...


Try looking under Starships 1/1000/Refit Secondary Hull and Related parts and scroll down to the bottom of the page. There's a link to a whole bunch of parts under the Extended Dorsal link.


And there it is...sometimes I have to check to see if my head is still attached.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

User avatar
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Posts: 4943
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 pm
Location: West of Eugene Oregon.

Re: Federation Class Starship- Long haul Project 08/27/2016

Postby Moongrim » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Two Balson class secondary hulls purchased yesterday from Modular Models. 6-8 weeks minimum.
Transaction ID
5C108372JR8703821
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.


Return to “1/1000”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: burwellian and 22 guests