D-37 Strike Cruiser

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

D-37 Strike Cruiser

Post by Griffworks »

I'm calling this the D-37, after the Star Trek production staffs love of the number 37, especially during the run of ST: VOY. It's meant to be a new technology battlecruiser set during the end of the Movie Era and into the Lost Years Era. It's a very limited run kit Ravenstar Studios that received as a gift from a friend, and which I believe is long OOP. I removed the standard Vor'cha resin nacelles and replaced them with some 3D printed nacelles I found on Shapeways.
D37-001.JPG
D37-002.JPG
D37-003.JPG
D37-004.JPG
D37-005.JPG
D37-006.JPG
I've since re-primed this and will paint it tomorrow.
Last edited by Griffworks on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: D-37 Strike Cruiser

Post by el gato »

Ah, this was a Ravenstar kit. I thought you bashed this together. It's a cool design, and I think you're designation of it to be a "lost era" cruiser is on the spot
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

This design is reminiscent of a re-imagined K't'inga Richard Long created awhile ago. Check it out:
kbc_04-500x272.jpg
kbc_04-500x272.jpg (23.4 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I can see that. The top of the head certainly looks like it
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Sorry, fellas! I missed these posts back in the late Summer/early Fall somehow. Prolly got caught up in something else and just forgot....
el gato wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:15 pmAh, this was a Ravenstar kit. I thought you bashed this together. It's a cool design, and I think you're designation of it to be a "lost era" cruiser is on the spot.
Yes, it doesn't fit in with my design aesthetics for TMP Era ships, especially with the TNG-style disruptor emitters. This way, they started developing that type of tech at the tail end of the 23rd Century/beginning of the 24th.
trekriffic wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:17 pm This design is reminiscent of a re-imagined K't'inga Richard Long created awhile ago. Check it out:
kbc_04-500x272.jpg
Oh, yeah! I like that work he did on that. That would be a perfect Lost Years Era Klingon battlecruiser, IMNSHO. I'd definitely buy that if someone released it for 1/1000 scale.
el gato wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:08 pm I can see that. The top of the head certainly looks like it
The Lost Years Era kinda loans itself well to a sort of Luft '46 mentality, doesn't it? Speculative designs based on what we've already seen and know that works are fun to come up with.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

And now, some updated pics!

As mentioned previously, I primered the D-37 a day or so after the above post was made. I then ended up hitting her with a base coat of Tamiya AS-7 Neutral Grey (USAAF). Not sure if I really like that color and might go back with some Testors SAC Bomber Green, 1993.
D37-007.JPG
D37-008.JPG
D37-009.JPG
I painted the "grills" on the nacelles silver - or was it aluminum...? - and then tried hand brushing some clear green. Obviously a very poor choice on my part. I'll do my best to strip the clear in the near-future and start over with an airbrush.
D37-010.JPG
I sort of did the same w/the impulse engines, tho used solid yellow. The intention here is to shoot some clear red over the top of what's there now to make it sort of look like the engines are "burning hot". At least, that's my hope!

My Flickr Albums
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

I like it! Cool design.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Yeah, I didn't it is. I didn't care for it at first. Tho, then, I had intended it to be used as a 1/2500 companion to the Negh'var. It just didn't resonate with me, tho.

It has inspired me, tho, to maybe look at kitbashing a Vor'cha into something sorta similar as a 1/1000 ship of the Lost Years Era.

I'm leaning towards something like this, made by a fella in the UK name of Jack Grey. He had a couple of other neat designs that I used to have on my old website, Griffworks Shipyards. This was one of my favorites.
N'Klaa01.jpg
N'Klaa01.jpg (26.89 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
N'Klaa02.JPG
N'Klaa02.JPG (25.17 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
N'Klaa03.JPG
N'Klaa03.JPG (33.43 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
N'Klaa04.JPG
N'Klaa04.JPG (33.95 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
N'Klaa05.JPG
N'Klaa05.JPG (28.03 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
N'Klaa06.JPG
N'Klaa06.JPG (39.47 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
N'Klaa07.JPG
N'Klaa07.JPG (55.19 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
It's the Ya'Vang-class transport, N'klaa. I like it as a cruiser, tho not with those tiny warp engines. I've got some changes in that basic design in-mind, tho it's a bit down the road. I'm trying not to fall into the same trap I've been guilty of in the past - getting too wrapped up in starting yet ANOTHER project with all these others to finish.

My Flickr Albums
TrekMD

Post by TrekMD »

That one can ram anything and destroy it! :)
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

TrekMD wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:28 am That one can ram anything and destroy it! :)
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!

Return to “1/1000”