Polar Lights 1/1000 Oberth & Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 1 - Unboxing/First Impressions!

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Polar Lights 1/1000 Oberth & Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 1 - Unboxing/First Impressions!

Post by MEATLOAFr » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:27 am

I’m proud to present Round 2’s new kit, the 1/1000 USS Grissom AND the 1/1000 Klingon Bird of Prey

Front of the box

Back of the box

Right side of box

Top of the box

Left side of the box

One thing I did like is the FULL COLOR decal placement & paint guides on the inside of the box bottom

AND NOW FOR THE CONTENTS
We all know that’s the best part, and what you came here to see

We have 5 sealed bags and a sheet of instruction –

1 bag for the 2 stands
- I was a little disappointed that the stand rods were plastic instead of metal, but not a deal breaker, also the base of the stands are a concave slope and not the normal convex style as Round 2’s bigger dome stands

2 bags for the Klingon Bird of Prey – 1 with 2 trees of green parts, 1 tree of clear parts Image

1 bag of decals

1 bag for the Oberth – 3 trees of white parts

For the Oberth’s parts
We have one tree with the lower half of the hull and lower pod half along with 2 parts of the warp grills

Top of parts:

Bottom of parts:

We have another tree of just the main warp nacelle fins:
Should make it easy to just paint them black and not have to mask the paint that much

And the final tree has the main “saucer” and upper half of the pod with the pylons attached

Top of parts:

Bottom of parts

Next up we have the fan favorite, scale shifting, adversary ship
Upper wings

Disrupter Cannons

Bottom of wings & Cloaking/Sheild ring

Wing hinge parts – ship can be made with the option to display wings in cruise mode or attack mode

Main Hull

Clear parts if you choose to light this kit – I do like they included a spare photon tube part, it looks to be easily lost because of its size

Now because of my recent move, and lack of any real place to display anything at this time and all my kits are still boxed up and in a storage unit, all I have for scale is a 1/1000 NX nacelle half I had in my paint tote along with an old school adversary Bird of Prey that is missing a wing tip disrupter

NX nacelle comparisons

Klingon size compassions

Tomorrow I plan of running out an getting some glue – it will be MUCH FASTER to just buy some new glue instead of trying to dig thru boxes to find where my old one went

If anyone is wondering – the old Klingon BoP is base panted with Testors 1171 Beret Green with Testors Model Master 4852 Green Zinc Chromate.
The new kit matches the Green Zinc Chromate almost perfectly

As I continue the build log I will separate the Oberth & Bird of Prey into their own threads – hopefully to keep it as unconfusing as possible and address any problems separately

WISH ME LUCK

LINKS

AST 1/1000 Oberth & Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 1 - Unboxing/First Impressions!
https://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5265

AST 1/1000 Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 2 - BUILDING!
https://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic. ... 984#p68984

AST 1/1000 Oberth REVIEW - PART 2 - BUILDING!
https://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic. ... 983#p68983
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

SKO
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: AST 1/1000 Oberth & Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 1 - Unboxing/First Impressions!

Post by SKO » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Oh man that's a gorgeous kit. The oberth decals look pretty comprehensive which is exciting. Can you tell me about how long the Oberth looks to be? I was gonna say one of the benefits of the constantly changing size of the KBOP and the Oberth both is that a 1/1000 scale version could maybe also play as a 1/1400, since Ex-Astris Scientia has noted that the Oberth ranges from 120 m to almost 300 meters in some shots.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: AST 1/1000 Oberth & Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 1 - Unboxing/First Impressions!

Post by Tesral » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Shiny!

I like the box redesign.

I am looking forward to the build and you impressions.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

SKO
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SKO » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:12 pm

Looks like the Oberth kit is listed on the box at 4.2 inches long which corresponds to 1:1000 scale for the design length of 122 meters, but also puts in perfectly in scale for 1/1400 if you go by the compromise length of 150 meters that EAS and I think the starcraft kit went by.

So this fits either my 1/1000 23rd Century fleet or my 1/1400 24th Century. Best of Both Worlds. :lol:

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Polar Lights 1/1000 Oberth & Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 1 - Unboxing/First Impressions!

Post by andyh » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:16 am

Yeah, if I buy one, it will go in my 1/1400 cabinet :)

Andy

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: Polar Lights 1/1000 Oberth & Klingon Bird of Prey REVIEW - PART 1 - Unboxing/First Impressions!

Post by Cubey Terra » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:06 pm

I love the Oberth class. I've built more than one Bird of Prey already, so I'm less keen on that. But both seem like they have a decent level of detail.

MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:52 am

MEATLOAFr wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:27 am
Next up we have the fan favorite, scale shifting, adversary ship
:lol:

To be fair, though, between The Search for Spock and The Next Generation, the Oberth class seems to have gone through its own fair share of scale-creep. :mrgreen:
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:19 pm

MadManMUC wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:52 am

To be fair, though, between The Search for Spock and The Next Generation, the Oberth class seems to have gone through its own fair share of scale-creep. :mrgreen:
It's a special device they keep in the back of stardock. No one talks about it.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “1/1000”