Shark vs. Robert April's Enterprise

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Shark vs. Robert April's Enterprise

Post by Shark » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:59 pm

*Excuse my long winded post, I wanted to document fully my thought process through the build. Feel free to skip ahead.

This will be a WIP (Work In Progress) thread; as such, It will be updated as the build progresses.

Years ago after seeing Rigel's awesome version of Robert April's Enterprise on SSM, I was inspired to create my own. I picked up a 1k Ent and went about looking for a direction in which to take the build; however, the more I looked at pics of the 'Cage' Enterprise vs. the production Enterprise, the clearer it became that to make something that (I thought) would appear to be a plausible precursor to the Pike's Ent. I would need to make it appear less detailed than the Pike's Enterprise. Now, how would I go about making that ship look less detailed?!

Enter the Lindberg B-58 Hustler.

I picked up a Lindberg B-58 for five bucks on ebay thinking I could use it for a scratch and bash I've been planning. After receiving the kit, I started looking over the parts and picked up the external fuel tank, held it up to my 1k Enterprise and realized that It's shape and size would make it a pretty good nacelle! And then hit upon the idea that perhaps if I had an interesting shape I wouldn't necessarily need lots of detail. With a little cutting and sanding here and there, I came up with this...

I decided to go for a more rounded appearance overall, reshaping some of the ships harder edges and was inspired by mid-century Architecture and industrial design. Sort of a jet-age Enterprise. I was also thinking that most of the design would remain pretty much the same, with only the engines (Warp and Impulse) having changed and evolved over time.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm30 ... 80513c.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm30 ... 6fc678.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm30 ... 14aa58.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm30 ... 0779f7.jpg

You'll notice the model is missing several parts, Nacelle end caps, deflector, etc. These are all accounted for and will be added to the final build once paint has been finalized.

That's it for now, folks; comments and (constructive) criticisms welcome.
Last edited by Shark on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigel
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: Shark vs. Robert April's Enterprise

Post by Rigel » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:16 pm

Oh now thats good! cant wait to see the rest of this build.

Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Shark » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Thank ya' sir, much appreciated!

Burke
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Burke » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Those nacelles are beautiful, I'm going to have to copy you and buy a Lindbergh lol. I can't wait to see how this turns out. Do you have a side shot of her?

TI4438
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TI4438 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:47 am

I like it.

Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Shark » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Burke wrote:Those nacelles are beautiful, I'm going to have to copy you and buy a Lindbergh lol. I can't wait to see how this turns out. Do you have a side shot of her?
Thanks! Luckily the kits are cheap and plentiful; just know that the kit only comes with one aux tank, so you'll need two kits for two engines. I do have a side shot, but it's a poor one...

TI4438 wrote:I like it.
Thanks.

bunnyast
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by bunnyast » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Brilliant use of the 'spares box' to come up with something so compatible. I have been planning a few models which require nacelles from this period so I now have an avenue to investigate. The Bussard collector domes look a bit bulbous though are you going to blend them into the main body of the nacelle with some type of collar or leave them as is?

Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Shark » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Thanks, bunny! The pictures make the Bussards appear more bulbous than they actually are, they really blend quite nicely in person.

bunnyast
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by bunnyast » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:30 am

Shark wrote:Thanks, bunny! The pictures make the Bussards appear more bulbous than they actually are, they really blend quite nicely in person.
Cool, really interested to see what details you add to the nacelles. Definitely keeping a keen eye on this build.

Bernard Guignard
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Bernard Guignard » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:49 pm

Very nicely done :) looking forward to the finished result.
Live Long and Prosper Technically
Bernard Guignard
Project Manager TreknoGraphx
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/treknogra ... d=89237652

Return to “1/1000”