UES Kongo - NCC-1710 (1:1000 PL Constitution) now feat. PICS

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Location: Bargersville, Indiana, USA, NA, Sol III, Terran System

UES Kongo - NCC-1710 (1:1000 PL Constitution) now feat. PICS

Post by FatherRob » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Good day to ya'll...

Coming later today or perhaps tomorrow, photos of the UES Kongo. I was up until 2:30 this morning decaling her. She needs some minor touch up paint, a final decal or two (hopefully to be completed tonight), and a last clear-coat and she'll be ready to leave the dock.

Some history on this build:

This started out with the intention to do a TMP style paintjob on the TOS ship. The pearl white went on marvelously, but when I started detailing out the TMP era paints (front of the dorsal, deflector housing, nacelle accents, etc.) my color choices fell apart. I tried using Tamiya Japanese Army Green, which looked to be a close match for the TMP decals. After it set, however, it was far from the TMP era color I wanted. Further, the difficulties encountered in just painting the whole colors led me to get so frustrated that I needed another plan.

I almost painted her gray, but was out of gray paint, and have always wanted a decent silver starship... so I get some Testors gloss silver and overshot my original paint job. That turned out to be a very good decision. She looks very good, considering she has about ten coats of paint on her now!

Anyway, I used Tamiya Metallic Gray for my accents on the nacelles, but other than that I didn't do much in the way of painting, prefering to let the decals do most of the work for me.

I used three decal sources:
Kit decals OOB
Kitbasher's Decals from JTGraphics
Custom registry and pennant decals from JDecals (Justin Leightly)

The custom decals reflect my own alternate universe take on Trek, so the ship is a part of the United Earth Interstellar Confederation.

I used the lighted windows arrangement on the secondary hull, removing the TOS pennants and replacing them with the JDecals custom job. On the saucer, I really bulked up the number of windows present (perhaps too much so... I think I got a little crazy with the fumes from all those layers of paint!) and am now beginning to question if that was such a good move... I added some weapons hardpoints using some of the bridge trim from the kit's decals (in all honesty, I had three copies of the kit decals, and I cut windows and other parts out of all three to really bulk things up). There are saucer rim windows aplenty, and gangways on both the port and starboard sides.

The nacelle forward caps were painted in Tamiya clear orange with just a hint of Tamiya clear red. The 'nacelle works' beneath the cap was painted white. I chose to clear coat over the endcaps to give the nacelle a diffuse look, which turned out pretty well.

When I get home tonight, I intend to take some pix... stand by for eye candy!

Rob+
Last edited by FatherRob on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: UES Kongo - NCC-1710 (1:1000 PL Constitution)

Post by Moongrim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:14 pm

Standing Fast...
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm very interested. I've never had much luck with decals over metal.

FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FatherRob » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:54 am

Still needs her final topcoats... any suggestions before I seal her up?

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: UES Kongo - NCC-1710 (1:1000 PL Constitution) now feat.

Post by Steam235 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:52 am

Technically I'm impressed by the lack of silvering in the decals. I've always had trouble getting them to lay flat on that kind of paint.

Creatively I like three things. First, the globe insignia. I know this is an alt universe ship but why don't Starfleet ships ever have the UFP seal on the ship? Secondly I love the blue grills I like that as a nod to future ships and it lends continuity to future designs. Finally I like that TOS/TMP hybrid deflector. It does a lot to change the ships personality. Great job!

stracTrek
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by stracTrek » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:28 am

Wow, that's pretty. Very nice and a great look :thumbsup:

Did you think about making the shuttle bay doors a slightly different metallic color? Signifies that its a moving part; I wish I had with mine...
“The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the root of all the evil that is in the world” -Max Born

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Tesral » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:09 am

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FatherRob » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:28 pm

Steam235 wrote:Technically I'm impressed by the lack of silvering in the decals. I've always had trouble getting them to lay flat on that kind of paint.
I did three or four light coats of the silver, followed by three passes with Rustoleum clear enamel. That said, i am shocked that I had no silvering, and that there are only a few angles where the carrier film is even remotely discernible. Plug dumb luck on one hand, and fine decal work on the other, I suppose. The ones in person I notice more are the PL kit decals... the after market stuff is just smooth!
Steam235 wrote:Creatively I like three things. First, the globe insignia. I know this is an alt universe ship but why don't Starfleet ships ever have the UFP seal on the ship? Secondly I love the blue grills I like that as a nod to future ships and it lends continuity to future designs. Finally I like that TOS/TMP hybrid deflector. It does a lot to change the ships personality. Great job!
I've always wondered where the flag or Federation insignia was as well... I had originally thought to put it down on the saucer (as opposed to the superstructure) just above the name and registry number, but then I thought that might be overkill for the space. I thought of omitting the yellow block aft of the bridge dome, but that seemed wrong for some reason as well. I am not entirely thrilled with the placement, but I cannot think of any other logical spot.

The blue grills are off of the JTDecals kitbasher set... I was originally going to do black or copper grilles, as I usually model ships in Impulse mode. However, the copper looked awful, I decided I didn't want black, as I felt it would clash with the overall appearance of the ship, and the silver on the inboard surface looked way too boring. The blue, with the silver underlay, it just pops.

The deflector was a child of necessity. The kit I was using was the lunch box kit. It was molded with an oversized plug that wouldn't fit into the trench of the deflector housing. I cut that off, leaving it short, and with no surface to mount it to the plug... so I decided to CA it straight to the center trench ring behind the deflector. I, too, am pleasantly suprised. It needs some paint touch up, which I will do after the final clear coat, as the copper enamel and the Rustoleum clear coat don't get along so well.

Technically speaking, there are three things that stick out:

I should have spent more time sanding the spot where the pylons attach.

I still haven't found a good solution to the nacelles angling out slightly. I have read in several places that the best way to build the later incarnations of this kit is to glue the inboard nacelle parts to the pylons, let it set up, and then glue the outboard nacelle parts onto the entire assembly. The nacelles still canted off true, however. It's not terribly noticeable... but I am not happy about it.

I should have cut apart the registry number and individually place the letters/numbers. The curvature is just not quite right.
stracTrek wrote:Wow, that's pretty. Very nice and a great look :thumbsup:
Thanks!
stracTrek wrote:Did you think about making the shuttle bay doors a slightly different metallic color? Signifies that its a moving part; I wish I had with mine...
Yes, I did... but I don't have another metallic color to work with aside from the dark gray metallic which I am using for the nacelle vents, caps, etc. I didn't want to use the same color, and so I just let it be.

And Tesral, I haven't built the Enterprise, per-se, in years... and I don't plan to start anytime soon. I like building other ships, and then messing with them. That said, I am pretty sure that if I elect to tackle the 22 inch cutaway, it will be getting the same treatment as this small one. I am beyond impressed with how this paint job took with the TMP era markings.

Rob+
Last edited by FatherRob on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moongrim

Post by Moongrim » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Swwwweeet. :mrgreen:

Love what you did with the Bridge Module!
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FatherRob » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Moongrim wrote:Swwwweeet. :mrgreen:

Love what you did with the Bridge Module!
Thanks... which aspect of the bridge module grabs you?

Rob+

Return to “1/1000”