1/1400 Macro Trek Phoenix-type Nebula class conversion (FINISHED!)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: 1/1400 Macro Trek Phoenix-type Nebula class conversion

Post by novahobbies » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:52 pm

Well, I've made no secret that this is kind of a "test build" for future Galaxy type projects.....and this weekend I had a series of setbacks that really drove home the challenges that a 32 year old model can present. I.E., terrible fit and poor parts construction around the warp engines.

Sure, we all know about these problems. But it's been long enough since my last Galaxy build that I'd managed to forget about most of the difficulties. Not to worry, they all came *screaming* back to me this weekend.

I chose to paint the clear parts of the warp engines from the inside, and glued the blue warp vents to the bottom of the engines. I remembered that there is a significant gap near the front of the engine where it meets the bussard collector, but I've also seen beautiful builds of the ship where this gap is completely gone. I thought if I could clamp the opaque plastic parts down firmly on the bussard, I could eliminate that gap.
No such luck. Not only did I still have the gap, but somehow the fumes of the cement reacted to the paint inside the bussard and caused it to re-liquify and slide off the plastic, leaving some LOVELY clear splotches inside the engine. So , I'm going to have to mask and re-paint.

In the meantime, I went ahead and puttied the gaps around the bussards and the coils. I am using PPP, piped through an 18G needle, and then smoothed with a wet brush. That was the only bright spot for the weekend, putty application this way works great and needs very little additional smoothing, just a bit around the coils to blend them. In the future, I'm going to actually separate the engines into two parts, and cut the engines just aft of the yellow coils. This way I can glue the upper and lower bussard caps completely down onto the clear part without that offending gap.

I also painted in the deflector with orange and airbrushed some blue in the back. Most of this will be covered with the front deflector piece, but I'm happy with it so far.

And finally, I glued down the sensor pod permanently. It's really starting to look like a starship now. Just gotta get the bottom of the saucer aztec finished, then start in on the phasers and lifeboats.

novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:22 pm

Been a busy weekend over at Nova Shipyards. First up, got the bottom of the Nebula saucer's primary aztec sorted out. There's three hours of unavoidable tedium for ya! But I'm not complaining...it's somewhat relaxing.

So that's that. Next up for this ship will be PNT escape pod decals and phaser strip decals. I want to test those before I use them for future builds in the queue. I like the combination of the Tamiya Light Ghost Gray and the Model Master Dark Ghost Gray. It's very subtle.

novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:06 pm

Since the Valdore is mostly done, I am taking a small break from it to focus on a couple TMP era projects and this big old Nebula. I fixed the bad paint on the bussard collectors, and started work on some decals. I'm using the PNT decal set for this build. The lifeboats are a little more yellow, like the early color of the Galaxy, but that's okay because I assume this was an early production Nebula from the mid 24th century...basically a counterpart to my Rutledge and Cheyenne models.

Phaser decals done, starting in on the lifeboats...

Detail on the phaser decals:

The upper pod, with some custom panel decals added over the painted parts:

And a full shot for now:

RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:33 pm

I love it, awesome work!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Dr_Corsa
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Dr_Corsa » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Hey,

This is AWESOME!!!

Michael
Genuine decals addicted
1/1400 scale modeller

novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:53 pm

Thanks! I'll be getting back to the decals on this probably tomorrow night. Tonight is devoted to another evening of experimenting (and probably failing) with home brew photoetch. :lol:

....what can I say. It only has to work ONCE.

novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:54 pm

Not been doing much on this lately, been off messing with other house projects and whatnot, but I did get a little done with this build. Lifeboat decals are done, and since I had some extra phaser decals left over I added a few in non-canon places that made sense to me. I *may* add 2 more phaser placements on the sensor dish in the 2 and 10 position, but I'm not sold on the idea yet.

Next up, some regular hull markings, and then window-time. Gotta break that old white paint pen out again and hope it's not dried out...

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:26 pm

Aztec pattern looks great!

Halgebra_A6N
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Halgebra_A6N » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:41 am

Looks good! Are those yellow lifeboats from PNT Models, and are they the translucent kind or opaque? I have found that they can look iffy depending on the model and paint scheme, but you’ve nailed it. Any tips?

novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:19 pm

ProfArturo wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:26 pm
Aztec pattern looks great!
Thanks! My hands don't shake as much as I was afraid! :lol:

Halgebra_A6N wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:41 am
Looks good! Are those yellow lifeboats from PNT Models, and are they the translucent kind or opaque? I have found that they can look iffy depending on the model and paint scheme, but you’ve nailed it. Any tips?
It was just luck, but truthfully I wasn't super thrilled with these if you want my honest opinion. Yes there are the tan/yellow PNT versions and they're pretty translucent.

The light ghost grey hull color is what gives it the toned down color. If a person was REALLY crazy, they would mask off all the lifeboats individually and then airbrush a tan color before applying decals.

I'll most likely use the Round2 lifeboats for the other variants I have planned, but I'm not solidly sold on those white/grey ones yet.

Return to “1/1400”