AMT Enterprise C paint colors

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
Zerog270
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

AMT Enterprise C paint colors

Post by Zerog270 »

Please don't flame me for being a complete newbie. I finally decided to pick up an old hobby and build a model kit. My first one in 20 years.

I recently purchased the AMT (Round2) Enterprise C and started looking at the paint colors as listed in the directions. It appears Testors does not make three of the colors anymore as suggested; Panzer Gray #1950, Russian Flanker Medium Blue #2132, and Russian FLanker Blue/Gray #2131.

Any suggestions on replacement colors? Or what colors you would use?

Thanks!

-Mike
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: AMT Enterprise C paint colors

Post by andyh »

I used a mix of 50/50 duck egg blue and light grey (any would do) for the base colour. Then for the next darkest colour I used straight duck egg blue. For the darker blue, I just found a blue which was the closest match to the Decals I got from DLM so I'm sorry, I can't remember what colour that was.

Any dark grey would suffice for a replacement of Panzer grey.

Andy
Max Nex
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Max Nex »

It's a pity...
as I was going to recommend Flanker Pale blue for the base coat and Flanker medium blue for the second coat.
as for the phaser strips you can use Aggressor Gray FS 36251 (?) or Dark Gull Gray FS 36231
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Starship color is always tricky. Till the date there is not a consensus even about the old TOS Enterprise...

I just read an interesting article (https://culttvman.com/main/what-color-is ... -m-newitt/) explaining as grey tones can borrow the hue of the environment around. It may look greenish, bluish or reddish depending on the light...

:?

But anyway... basically the rule of thumb for me when I select the color to use is:

1) Search Google after models (either real as well CGI) for reference
2) Pick a scheme that looks good and make sense for me
3) I NEVER trust on painting directions from kits instruction sheet

As for Federation ships I have noticed that mostly of them will look fine if you paint it at any range of light to medium grey and their metallic derivatives (aluminum, chrome, silver, gun metal, etc). For a more "accurate" look always refer to a model (topic 1) and pick the color you have in hands (or can mix) the closest as possible as the reference.

The main problem with Enterprise-C is that there is not too much reference of it. Coincidentally at the moment I am assembling one (scale 1:2500) and I painted mine with Model Masters FS17178 "Chrome Silver". Regardless its name it doesn't even come close to "chrome". It looks more like a metallic medium gray to me.

As for reference I used this image:

More important is: don't be too anal retentive about this. No matter how "accurate" you think you are there will be always someone that will look to the model and will think that the color is not correct.

;)
Thanks,

Yan.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Zerog270 wrote:Please don't flame me for being a complete newbie.
Never. At AST, we welcome newbies and experts alike!

In terms of your question, with the C, it was so badly damaged when we got a first look at her, that as NCC1966 says, you really can't go wrong with the paint job. I used stark white as my base color because it made the blue scheme pop. I know the studio model was painted with a very light grey, but I used my artistic license
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Welcome aboard Zerog!
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Zerog270 wrote:Please don't flame me for being a complete newbie.
Have no fear, the people are nice at this forum (no trolls, etc.). I've only had pleasant experiences with this group, so feel free to post without reservation. Welcome aboard!
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
Quark_1961
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Quark_1961 »

Zerog270 wrote:Please don't flame me for being a complete newbie. I finally decided to pick up an old hobby and build a model kit. My first one in 20 years.

I recently purchased the AMT (Round2) Enterprise C and started looking at the paint colors as listed in the directions. It appears Testors does not make three of the colors anymore as suggested; Panzer Gray #1950, Russian Flanker Medium Blue #2132, and Russian FLanker Blue/Gray #2131.

Any suggestions on replacement colors? Or what colors you would use?

Thanks!

-Mike
These colors are available from Model Masters which is Testors "high end" paint supplies.
Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #208

"Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer."

Return to “1/1400”