Aztec Decals for Starcraft Connie Refit, Miranda, Excelsior, and Excelsior Refit?

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
SKO
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Aztec Decals for Starcraft Connie Refit, Miranda, Excelsior, and Excelsior Refit?

Post by SKO » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Starcraft Models wrote:Here is my work so far on the Excelsior wall paper decals. I still nee to apply them to the model to make sure they fit
Those look great. Do you have any pictures by any chance of a 1/1400 Akira with the wallpaper decals I see listed on Federationmodels? I am interested maybe in one of those as my next project and I've seen a lot of really good painted Akira classes but I haven't seen any with the wallpaper decals which are maybe more appropriate for my skills.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Aztec Decals for Starcraft Connie Refit, Miranda, Excelsior, and Excelsior Refit?

Post by novahobbies » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:37 am

You know, proper decal application is it's own skill, and not to be taken lightly. To assume that one is "easier" than the other feels like the classic taste debate of apples over oranges. If you're stronger at decals than you are with painting, I totally get it (just look at the projects I'm working on now, massive decal sets!) but by no means should you think that you're taking the easy way out. But may I also suggest that the 1/1400 scale Akira is a beautiful kit to try to do WITHOUT the decal sheet if you want to work on your skills? I bet you could seriously do it justice.

SKO
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SKO » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:12 am

novahobbies wrote:You know, proper decal application is it's own skill, and not to be taken lightly. To assume that one is "easier" than the other feels like the classic taste debate of apples over oranges. If you're stronger at decals than you are with painting, I totally get it (just look at the projects I'm working on now, massive decal sets!) but by no means should you think that you're taking the easy way out. But may I also suggest that the 1/1400 scale Akira is a beautiful kit to try to do WITHOUT the decal sheet if you want to work on your skills? I bet you could seriously do it justice.
Oh I was not knocking decals as the easy way out, I am just better at them than painting. Nothing has ever taken as much patience, care, and skill for me than doing the acreation wallpapers on my E-E or the Round 2 decals on my E-A. I just really think if I'm gonna invest the money to get an Akira and I don't necessarily trust my paint skills to do it justice I'd like to see how one looks in the decals.

Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Post by Kratok » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:56 pm

novahobbies wrote::-o WOW!!!!!!!
Indeed.

Really looking forward to these. I have a boatload of 1400 Starcraft movie-era ships, none built because I can't do the aztec justice.

Watching this with much anticipation.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:54 pm

I actually just emailed Starcrafts a few days ago regarding getting a new E-A model, but now that I know he might be doing the wallpapers himself, I think it might be cool to wait and see what he comes up with!

Dr_Corsa
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Dr_Corsa » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi!

So here just a question to all experts of digital modelling here: what's about Voyager aztec mascs or decals?

Why? because one of my dream projects in a very very far future should be to build 2 1/1400 scale Revell/Monogram Intrepids (named for both kitbashes in DS9 background, but as regular Intrepid, not as half Voy/halfM35 or Maquis...) but in Ent-D style painting...would be so much easy with mascs... Can someone photoshop it on Voyager just for the first look?

Greeting,
Michael
Genuine decals addicted
1/1400 scale modeller

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:34 pm

SKO wrote:
novahobbies wrote:You know, proper decal application is it's own skill, and not to be taken lightly. To assume that one is "easier" than the other feels like the classic taste debate of apples over oranges. If you're stronger at decals than you are with painting, I totally get it (just look at the projects I'm working on now, massive decal sets!) but by no means should you think that you're taking the easy way out. But may I also suggest that the 1/1400 scale Akira is a beautiful kit to try to do WITHOUT the decal sheet if you want to work on your skills? I bet you could seriously do it justice.
Oh I was not knocking decals as the easy way out, I am just better at them than painting. Nothing has ever taken as much patience, care, and skill for me than doing the acreation wallpapers on my E-E or the Round 2 decals on my E-A. I just really think if I'm gonna invest the money to get an Akira and I don't necessarily trust my paint skills to do it justice I'd like to see how one looks in the decals.
Well dude, I will be posting some photos in the next week or so, but.....

I placed an order with Starcrafts for new kits of the Akira and the E-A, and I ordered the wallpaper decals for the Akira while I was at it. PLUS another surprise that was ready to go, so it just sort of FELL into the shopping cart.....so to speak. :mrgreen: Not gonna say much about it until I see it, but photos will definitely be taken.

Have you ever had to get rid of a model, and then miss having it in your collection almost immediately? That's the Akira for me. I was forced to sell it along with much of my collection years ago, in a financial tight moment. Most of the models I was fine with, but I regretted selling the Akira even as I listed it. Granted, I got a good price for it, but still. I'm glad it's finally coming back home.

Kratok

Post by Kratok » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:04 am

novahobbies wrote:Not gonna say much about it until I see it, but photos will definitely be taken.
Tease.

But I am intrigued. Looking forward to those pics.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Kratok wrote:
novahobbies wrote:Not gonna say much about it until I see it, but photos will definitely be taken.
Tease.

But I am intrigued. Looking forward to those pics.
I think you could probably guess, given the nature of this conversation. :D Got an email yesterday that says the package is being shipped. Looking forward to some new resin-y (resinous?) goodness!

holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by holt35 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Those decals look great. Glad your finally making Aztecs for the 1/1400 movie kits.

Return to “1/1400”