Another Equinox

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Another Equinox

Postby SKO » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:38 pm

This was my father's day gift and it was a pretty quick job. I went straight OOB, I considered the JT graphics decals but given that my wife is also letting me completely do a new Enterprise E with acreation Aztecs I was stretching the model budget pretty thin as it was, so just went with the kit decals here. Overall I'm pleased. I tried doing the hot-water-then-bend method to get the pylons to not lean forward quite as much but I snapped one off and then decided to just live with it as is. This was my first resin kit so maybe I'll get some tips and tricks before doing another.

Obligatory shot next to my 1/1400 Voyager:

Gidiot
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Another Equinox

Postby Gidiot » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:28 pm

quick or no, Really nice job!

scaddude
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Postby scaddude » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Well done! Love that ship and kit!

I know what you mean about the warp pylons. I had a similar problem mainly because I had them in storage for so long. I recommend pushing the nacelles into the position you want (obviously don't go too far), hold them there, and hitting it with a hair dryer. It'll start to soften, and when it does, you either push it further to the position you want, or, stop the dryer and hold it in place. As it cools, it will stay put. To make sure it didn't move, I did it by putting the model on the table, belly touching the table (putting something under the saucer to balance it), leveled. I then putting something under the nacelles to lift them to where I wanted them (it'll lift the belly off the surface, but press it down to make sure the nacelles are level, and when you're set, let go), and then aim your hair dryer at the nacelles. As it softened the ship's belly touches the table again. When it settles, keep going juuust a little longer, then stop, and let it cool for a while. Hour or two tops. It should work perfectly. (And hopefully I explained it well)

Don't use a heat gun. It's too much. A hair dryer on high is plenty hot and will soften the resin, but not melt it.
"If nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do..."

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:17 am

So I did mention this was my first resin kit, right? I was not aware regular primer wouldn't bond to resin. So this fell off my shelf and bam-- all the paint on one pylon just flaked off. So I redid the entire thing, took the opportunity to follow scadude's advice for fixing the pylons, used some automobile primer and added some JT Graphics decals. Sorry the pics aren't the best the screen on my phones camera cracked and it really doesn't want to focus anymore

20171129_225645.jpg
20171129_225658.jpg
20171129_225909.jpg
20171129_230117.jpg
20171129_230153.jpg
Screenshot_2017-11-29-23-16-23.png

IceGiant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby IceGiant » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Looks awesome! I have 3 resin kits. This one, and 2 ravenstar kits.

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:21 pm

IceGiant wrote:Looks awesome! I have 3 resin kits. This one, and 2 ravenstar kits.

The Nova Class is one my all time favorites. You can see similar design elements to the Sovereign, Intrepid, and Defiant classes so it's such a nice unifying design, plus I feel like we so rarely see small Starfleet vessels, and I like that they finally got rid of the Oberth. Plus this kit was a pretty easy one as far as learning how to work with resin, hoping to move onto some bigger projects (the Akira hopefully) soon.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Griffworks » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Nicely done! She turned out looking great, particularly the hull color.

This ship, along with an Intrepid-class Voyager are two I'd love to see in 1/1000 scale.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 pm

Griffworks wrote:Nicely done! She turned out looking great, particularly the hull color.

This ship, along with an Intrepid-class Voyager are two I'd love to see in 1/1000 scale.

The hull color is just a rattle can of Testor's Dark Aircraft Gray. I used it once to do the basecoat my TOS Enterprise and I really liked it and it's become my default Starfleet hull color. It feels pretty accurate for VOY/TNG Movie era ships, not the more blue/gray tinge of the TNG show era stuff.

Dr_Corsa
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby Dr_Corsa » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:44 pm

Hey,

It's an awesome tiny little ship!

Michael
Genuine decals addicted
1/1400 scale modeller

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Griffworks » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:57 pm

SKO wrote:
Griffworks wrote:Nicely done! She turned out looking great, particularly the hull color.

The hull color is just a rattle can of Testor's Dark Aircraft Gray. I used it once to do the basecoat my TOS Enterprise and I really liked it and it's become my default Starfleet hull color. It feels pretty accurate for VOY/TNG Movie era ships, not the more blue/gray tinge of the TNG show era stuff.

I agree that that color is perfect for Voyager and Equinox. Really lines up nicely with that later TNG Era hull.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

Return to “1/1400”