Weathered Ertl Enterprise D

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Weathered Ertl Enterprise D

Postby arcticfox » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:34 pm

Hey everyone,

Been a lurker for a long while but after rediscovering this site I decided I'd better contribute!

I have built many Trek models over the years but had switched my hobby over from scale models to wargame minis for a long, long time. I've come back to the scale model world and re-entered by picking up a couple of old Ertl kits like those I had built before the hiatus. The first one was the not-so-great Ertl kit of the Enterprise refit (Star Trek V edition) and had a modestly successful build. Now I'm doing Enterprise-D.

I want to use some of what I picked up doing miniature hobbying and apply it to this model. Enterprise will appear as she did just before the events of Star Trek: Generations, which means she'd have been in active service for 8 years and the hull would have a good bit of weathering. I don't mean damage, as the ship saw drydock often and has a talented Engineering staff... but after so many battles, anomalies, aliens suckling from the hull... the ship's gonna look a bit aged. Geordi even mentioned in "Starship Mine" that the ship had logged a lot more warp hours than most ships her age, and it stands to reason that this applies to the overall amount of wear and tear the ship had experienced.

So what I've done so far is assembled the primary hull, the secondary hull, and each of the two warp nacelles separately. I've primed the model using an airbrush and Vallejo 70615 USN Light Ghost Gray. My next step is to experiment with some black wash and an airbrush to pick out the details and see if I can do convincing weathering without going too far. (Weathering is one thing, but the Federation flagship cannot look too grimy!) I'll be using watered down Vallejo game color Black Wash 73.201 for that effort. I'll post pics of the results and perhaps some of you guys could share some feedback?

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Re: Weathered Ertl Enterprise D

Postby MEATLOAFr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:34 pm

:pics: :pics2:
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:19 pm

look forward to seeing it
and Welcome to AST
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:29 am

Pictures are a must!

Keep in mind the size of the beast. Detail is going to be small.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:18 am

Okay, so here are my steps so far...

First, the initial assembly just for the emotional rush of seeing it together. The primary/secondary hulls are not glued together and the warp nacelles aren't glued on.

This is the initial primer coat of the Vallejo USN Light Ghost Grey #70.615 on the primary hull:

I like the shade, and it'll be a great basecoat.

And this is the test wash using Vallejo Game Color black wash #73.210 mixed 50/50 with water:

This is only a test, since I'll be hand painting the Aztecing before applying the final wash using a slightly darker gray.

When I experimented with using the wash to do dirt streaks down the hull of the ship the result was a disaster, so I may switch instead to a powder pigment or maybe pastel chalk. I'll try both maybe and see the result.

The thing with the Enterprise-D is that it's almost effortless in terms of construction. The real challenge is in how you paint it, which is why I'm trying to be so meticulous.

MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby MadManMUC » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:39 am

Looking good, so far, I'm curious to see how it progresses!

On another note — and I don't have a kit to confirm — it looks to me like this 1701-D has the same sort of obnxious incorrect scribed-in panelling that the AMT/Ertl 1701-refit/1701-A has. If this actually the case, or is that panelling correct?
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )

MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby MadManMUC » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:45 am

Also, if you're looking to add any sort of black or grey streaking to your weathering, I'll pass you a top tip, something I remember watching my dad do when I was a kid, when he was into model railroading:

You can grind up pencil lead on a hard surface that won't be marked (glass, for example) to a fine powder, and apply the resulting powder onto the kit with a cotton bud. Using different hardnesses of lead (HB, 2H, 4B, et cetera) will determine how pronounced your streaks are. It will look nicely integrated into the model, and can be sealed up with any sort of clear coat afterwards.

(Obviously, this method performs best when you apply the pencil lead weathering to matte paint!)
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )

MEATLOAFr

Postby MEATLOAFr » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:54 pm

MadManMUC wrote:Looking good, so far, I'm curious to see how it progresses!

On another note — and I don't have a kit to confirm — it looks to me like this 1701-D has the same sort of obnxious incorrect scribed-in panelling that the AMT/Ertl 1701-refit/1701-A has. If this actually the case, or is that panelling correct?

for the most part it's correct - a few missing places, and it's annoyingly RAISED and not engraved like it should be
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:54 pm

Yeah I intend to do the Aztecing by hand to not only try and mitigate the discrepancy but also because I am thinking about making the panels in certain areas a separate, off-color, as if those are placed that had been repaired. For example, in the spot on the front of the primary hull where the Borg cutting beam had pulled the core section from the ship. It would have been fully repaired, but the panels may not necessarily match perfectly. (And in fact probably wouldn't, since they'd be brand new while the existing panels had been in s pace for about a year at that point.)

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:12 pm

MEATLOAFr wrote:for the most part it's correct - a few missing places, and it's annoyingly RAISED and not engraved like it should be

AMT was bad for that,and the cause of many a piece of dead sandpaper. The worse offender is the 1/2500 E-B with raised and recessed detail on the saucer.

Waiting however to see how it comes out. I am not a big fan of weathering starships. But I'm open.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “1/1400”