Weathered Ertl Enterprise D

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: Weathered Ertl Enterprise D

Postby arcticfox » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:04 pm

So in deciding precisely how I want to do the colors I looked at a few shots from the TV series of both t he 7 ft and the 4 ft models. I have to say there's a clear winner, in terms of aesthetics...

I hate this one. Man... you can even still see the decal outline on the registry number in this lighting. Pretty sure this is the 7 foot model.

I like this one better. I believe this is the 4 ft model. Notice that in this lighting, the ship is actually a sea green on some of the panels in the Aztecing, with a blueish gray on the others. I know that in full lighting the ship would be a light blue as is the case with most models of the Enterprise-D, but as I mentioned before I'm going for a somewhat more artistic look and I want the ship to appear more as it would be seen in the darkness of space. I've always felt that the Enterprise-D looked her best when under minimal lighting... And that isn't a knock to the design of the ship, I just like the darker hull look and the contrast with the ship's own illumination.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:54 am

Probably gonna be "that guy", but the one with the bad decals is absolutely the 4 foot model. It was the only one to have that weird raised panel detail. Second one looks to be the six footer, since it doesn't seem to have the two foot model's retro-reflective windows.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:15 am

Greyryder wrote:Probably gonna be "that guy", but the one with the bad decals is absolutely the 4 foot model. It was the only one to have that weird raised panel detail. Second one looks to be the six footer, since it doesn't seem to have the two foot model's retro-reflective windows.

Really? Well then I stand corrected. Thanks for the tip!

I started with the colors in a test on the upper saucer. I'm using a basecoat of Vallejo Model Air 71.108 UK Azure Blue applied with an airbrush.

I only applied it to about 2/3 of the saucer as a test.

Next, I'm brush painting the aztecing using Vallejo 70.895 Gunship Green. It's a little sloppy since it's just a color test.

The effect is VERY high contrast, higher than I wanted, but over that I'm airbrusing a few coats of Vallejo Model Wash 76.524 Blue Grey. This is to darken the overall shade as well as lower the contrast between the two colors. Here's the first coat. I don't want to do too much on just the one patch before finishing the rest of the basecoat and aztecing on the rest of the saucer, or this one patch will be noticeably darker than the rest.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:51 pm

So yeah that green is just way too dark and I don't want to have to do ten coats of wash just to bring it down...

So as I was contemplating this I realized I needed a paler green, and as I looked up at my paint carousel, I saw the answer... Army Painter Goblin Green. I tried a couple of test panels...

I think that'll work a lot better. It's much more like what I had in mind.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:47 am

Alright, so here's the result so far:

I did a little extra shading around the phaser emitter, along the Deck 3/Main shuttle bay bump, the Deck 2 bump and the impulse engine exhaust.

That's looking a lot more like what I had in mind.

holt35
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby holt35 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Looking good so far. I'd keep the weathering lite myself if you're planning on doing an aztek.
The color on the studio model was called Duck Egg Blue and it had a green look to it.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:58 am

Thanks for the tip!

The underside of the saucer:

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:20 pm

The lifeboats.

BAH.

The most inconsistent thing about the various models of the Enterprise I've seen is the lifeboats. For example, the set of lifeboats immediately aft of the main shuttlebay on the 6 ft model is a row of 5, while I can't tell of they're on the 4 ft model at all. (I assume they are...) The plastic model I'm working with has 6.

The Generations studio model of the saucer section doesn't have the 4 lifeboats on the top of deck 3 but they do appear on the 6 ft model and appear to be on the 4 ft model. They are on my model, at least. Aggravatingly enough, there's a third row of lifeboats just forward of the seam between the saucer and the star drive section, which on my model are shown as four long, continuous strips, which will make it trickier to paint them properly.

Oh, ans as for painting them... The color of the lifeboats is also incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes they look almost white, sometimes a strong khaki, and in some lighting and on the 4 ft model they look gray. So for my model... I decided to go with the gray, since it's more subtle and looks best with the darker look I'm going for.

I settled on Vallejo Grey Blue 70.943

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Will send some more progress pics later on, but I gotta vent.

These decal sheets. Yikes. I'm a little embarrassed that I actually used them. The printing of the lettering for the ship's name and registry number is misaligned, such that the white base is showing alongside the red and blue of the actual letters. I'm going to take another look tonight and make a decision, but I may need to go get an aftermarket set if they're still available in 1:1400.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:54 pm

phew...

So yeah. Lots of progress on the upper saucer.

Gee, I wish I'd found that aftermarket decal sheet BEFORE I put on these craptastic decals and secured them with Vallejo decal fix...

The problem with the decals is that the lettering wasn't properly aligned when they were printed, so some of the white peeks out from behind the blue and red...

Had it not been for the bad printing I'd be pretty pleased with this decal. Incidentally, it's held on with Vallejo Decal Fix and has a coat of Vallejo Decal Medium on it, to help it conform to the shape of the plastic under it. Decal Fix works... really well... which is why I don't dare try and remove it. I don't want to trash the paint work I've done so far.

So I want to try and fix the decal printing problem with some brush work, then I want to hit the whole saucer again with the wash to blend it. The problem is the texture of the decals and the surface texture of the painted part is different. You can see how glossy the decals are here...

So I hit it with a coat of Games Workshop Purity Seal, which has a matte finish...

By the way, the phaser array is painted with Vallejo Dark Grey 70.994 and the stripes by the main shuttlebay are painted with a coat of Vallejo Sky Grey 70.989 then a coat of Vallejo Deep Yellow 70.915. The top of the bridge is painted with a bit of Vallejo Sky Grey 70.989.

Return to “1/1400”