1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

Postby novahobbies » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:22 pm

Great work there. I haven't decided if I want to do any flasher circuits in my upcoming Galaxy and Ambassador builds....but I'll cross that when I come to it. I think you'll be very happy with the flex attachment for the windows when you get your dental burrs in. I love mine.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C - Aw nuts!

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:40 pm

Well....crap!

I got my 0.50mm burs in and started working on the B/C deck windows. Things were progressing well, but I should have listened to my inner modeler saying "Never do tasks that require fine motor skills when you are tired" but I didn't. Now I am gonna have to pay "stupid tax" and fix the mistake.

Image20180123_193243

While taking some pictures, I noticed the Aft B/C deck windows weren't the same size or in alignment. It doesn't help that they are 2mm high by 0.50mm wide and I was wearing 7X loops.

Image20180123_193336

Soooooooo, I'm gonna have to go back and fix them. I think I am going to follow some recommendations mentioned here of filling the windows with clear nail acrylic, then masking and painting them over. I may try trekriffic's suggestion of making a custom punch to cut precise masks for the windows. I'll have to puzzle it out a bit more and think of materials I will need to make them.

I HATE "Stupid tax"! Probably because I pay it so often.

trekriffic wrote:I admire those of you who can wire up their own flasher circuits but I'm lazy and have to get mine from online resellers like Tenacontrols. Not as cheap as making my own for sure but he's reasonable and I like to support his business.

I've heard nothing but good things about Ralph and Tenacontrols! His customer service is second to none and his products are very good! But, I'm trying to learn how/why electronics work so until I get a few more lighted builds under my belt, I'll put off buying the kits - except for the 350 TOS E! :lol:

novahobbies wrote:Great work there. I haven't decided if I want to do any flasher circuits in my upcoming Galaxy and Ambassador builds....but I'll cross that when I come to it. I think you'll be very happy with the flex attachment for the windows when you get your dental burrs in. I love mine.

Thanks, novahobbies! The flex shaft was much more comfortable than holding the Dremel. The issue is how small the windows are and the angle I had to have to drill through the hull. Oh well. One day I'll be perfect and won't make stupid mistakes! :roll: :)

Take care and may your models be tax free! :)

Till the next update!

Steve

Dingbat
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Postby Dingbat » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Ah yes: the "Stupid Tax". Im more than familiar with this myself! Those windows on b-deck (meeting room?) were tough to get all the same size and keep them straight. Same with the 5 or 6 on the bottom of the secondary hull(arboretum?). Mine all came out ok in the end, just a little wider and taller than they were supposed to!

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:20 am

I want a lower tax bracket.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Tesral wrote:I want a lower tax bracket.

Don't we all?! Sigh.

@Dingbat, I am gonna fix that one extra tall conference room (Observation room?) window and redrill it; rather than fix all of them. I put some Perfect Plastic Putty in that and am waiting for it to dry. Since I had the PPP out, I puttied another section of the saucer sensor bands. I had to be careful not to fill in the windows on the edges.

Thanks again for commenting guys!

Steve

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:09 pm

Mornin, ALL!

I decide not to do a wholesale fix of the windows and decided on just fixing the offending one.

Image20180124_191948

So I used PPP to fill it. I taped it off to try and minimize the mess.

I also filled in the sensor band around the perimeter of the saucer and sanded it smooth. This will help with the decal placement as it will be on a smooth surface rather than uneven. I still have to go in an scribe the gridlines down into the edge. This will make it appear closer to the studio model.

Image20180126_161955

I also got tired of waiting on my diamond tipped needle drills to clean up the windows. Since I have two sets of micro files now, and both sets are still too big, I modified one to use to clean out the windows.

Image20180126_173044

If it works, it ain't stupid! ;D ;D

I am working on the wiring diagram for the build and, once I get it prettied up and finalized, I'll share to get your input!

Thanks!

Steve

Dingbat

Postby Dingbat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:30 pm

Look'n good MSgt!
That needle file looks like it will be the ticket for cleanup on the windows.
Im eager to see how the repair with the PPP works too. I have a pretty bad one to fix, but am a little woried Ill mess it up more than it is. The one and only window I tried to drill with my dremel and flex shaft was on the port side of the top half of the sauser. It didnt go well. Looks like a kidney bean! At least I chose a totally inconspicuous place where no one looks ever to screw up (I wish). See...Im all in on the stupid tax.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks, Dingbat!

While I used the Dremel and flex shaft, the 0.7mm, and 0.5mm burs, 95 percent of the windows worked beautifully. Oh, don’t worry! I have plenty of “kidney beans” for my windows, too! :D

The file did work out well enough, (I wish it was the same shape as the windows :D ) except on the B/C deck; they were smaller yet. Some of my kidney beans I just filled in with PPP and I sanded them pretty near even with the Hull. For ones I couldn’t redrill, I resigned to be “off” windows; this counts as nearly 20% of the saucer rim windows. I had drilled them ALL out. I will have to paint them with black or tulip paint or whatever I decide to once I get to that point.

I am working on a lighting scheme now. I make a tracing of the outline of the ship and am working on LED placement and wiring. I am finding holes in my breadboard mockup so I will have to revise that layout as well!

Dingbat, are you showing your build somewhere? I would really love to see it and maybe even learn from you! Lemme know.

Till the next Temporal Anomaly!

Steve

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Somewhere around this pile I have set of micro micro files, nano files if you will a total of about 3 inches long. Of course the things are AWOL. Those would be great for windows (when you can find them).

I found a similar file set on Micro Mark. Not the exact same, a bit better as it has a finger sized handle.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 pm

Tesral wrote:Somewhere around this pile I have set of micro micro files, nano files if you will a total of about 3 inches long. Of course the things are AWOL. Those would be great for windows (when you can find them).

I found a similar file set on Micro Mark. Not the exact same, a bit better as it has a finger sized handle.

Tesral - most of my time in building is spent searching my workbench for that special tool I just saw and didn't need but can't find when I want it! :lol:

RL kinda got busy and did not really give me a chance to get on the bench this week. I wasn't idle though. I was working on my lighting placement and scheme. I did find some lights I will have to add and, as this is only a draft, I may wire differently. I rewatched ST:TNG S03E15 and noticed that the lights on the saucer and the nacelles DON'T BLINK. So I may have to rethink the flasher units. But, since I am so far off the reservation with my paint scheme, I might as well make what lights I want to blink, blink!

Take a look and you electronics gurus let me know what you think.

ImageEnterprise C Ornographic Lighting Dorsal

ImageEnterprise C Ornographic Lighting Ventral

ImageEnterprise C Ornographic Lighting Profile

I do want to work on building some blinky units but RL may find where I'm hiding and get me again before I do that!

Till then, steady as she goes!

Steve

Return to “1/1400”