1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:44 am

novahobbies wrote:
SKO wrote:
Dr_Corsa wrote:Hey,

just a little reminder: the impulce ingine on Ent-C was blue! All another ambassador class ships had a normal orange impulce.

Greeting,
Michael

That always bugged me and I flat out ignored that when I made mine. I convinced myself that was some weird low power setting due to the damage it had taken and that since I was building mine as a pristine, clean E-C that it would have a red impulse. There's enough blues and greys on federation ships to begin with that those little red impulse engines always offer a nice contrast.

Honestly I agree with SKO about this. Some things may be "screen accurate," but when you really ask yourself WHY and don't have a good answer, it's better to just go with your gut. Mine's red also. But you know....your model, your choice! :-D Make 'em green if you want and say it's powered by a Romulan core.

Well....I didn't want to be a nay-sayer buuuuuuuuut as you may have noticed from my drawings, I plan to make my impulse engines red. I figured since I was already planning to go off the reservation with my paint color scheme, I can have a red impulse engines to boot.

Sorry Doc. :)

Nova, I hope you can give your build some good TLC. I would love to see it done. However, thanks for the heads up and tips!!

SKO - do you have a thread or a few pics of your build? I'd like to see them!

Thanks for the comments!

Steve

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:08 am

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:
novahobbies wrote:
SKO wrote:
That always bugged me and I flat out ignored that when I made mine. I convinced myself that was some weird low power setting due to the damage it had taken and that since I was building mine as a pristine, clean E-C that it would have a red impulse. There's enough blues and greys on federation ships to begin with that those little red impulse engines always offer a nice contrast.

Honestly I agree with SKO about this. Some things may be "screen accurate," but when you really ask yourself WHY and don't have a good answer, it's better to just go with your gut. Mine's red also. But you know....your model, your choice! :-D Make 'em green if you want and say it's powered by a Romulan core.

Well....I didn't want to be a nay-sayer buuuuuuuuut as you may have noticed from my drawings, I plan to make my impulse engines red. I figured since I was already planning to go off the reservation with my paint color scheme, I can have a red impulse engines to boot.

Sorry Doc. :)

Nova, I hope you can give your build some good TLC. I would love to see it done. However, thanks for the heads up and tips!!

SKO - do you have a thread or a few pics of your build? I'd like to see them!

Thanks for the comments!

Steve

Here ya go, though I can’t imagine I’d be much of an inspiration to someone with your skills, based on the work you’ve posted in here. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4889

Dingbat
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Postby Dingbat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:40 am

Hey MSgt
Earlier in your thread you mentioned Angrysifimodeler's videos. I dont know how I missed them but he has some great ideas that are making me rethink some of my own. Thanks for the info on this guy. His videos are a blast to watch!

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:18 pm

Greetings!

Dingbat wrote:Hey MSgt
Earlier in your thread you mentioned Angrysifimodeler's videos. I dont know how I missed them but he has some great ideas that are making me rethink some of my own. Thanks for the info on this guy. His videos are a blast to watch!

Hey Ding! Yeah I'm kinda following his lead in putting this together! I'm gonna try his Gundam panel lines paint technique and see how it goes!

I know it has been awhile since I last posted, RL and IPMS have had me tied up a bit and kept me away from the bench. I was able to get some time in on the bench, but it has been in spurts. But I have made some headway. I am nearly ready to paint, but only if the Texas weather cooperates.

While I was at IPMS San Antonio, I met Ralph from TenaControls and he sold me his Federation Nav-light set - so I chickened out on building my own blinky circuit. But, I swear it shall be done! (For you "Princess Bride" fans out there!)

I was able to scribe some lines on the perimeter of the saucer much like the studio model has. I also filled and sanded the sensor bands AMT cut into the model. Yuck.
Image20180207_212601

I decided to make the collision avoidance, squadron formation lights, on the saucer blink. It does not seem like Star Fleet without them. So I leveled of the nubs that AMT had for the lights and drilled out the holes for the Fiber Optic (FO) strands and...

Image20180210_081756

...Right into the AMT placement of the orientation peg! AAAAAaaaaggaah!
Image20180210_081812

The 0.75mm FO fits and should make a nice blinky light, once I round the end and paint it (I think).

Image20180210_082905

Then I started thinking about how I would route the FO if the orientation peg and hole were filled with, ya know, each other. So I decided to make a channel for the strand and cut a channel in the receiver. I may have to go back and shave the peg off a little to allow for the strand to remain un-kinked.
Image20180210_082931

But once I get it all settled, I should look something similar to this.
Image20180219_185053

If it all goes to plan. I also remembered that I needed to light the planetary sensor array, so I cut a hole in the ventral saucer. TaDaaa!
Image20180220_203140

Well, I hope to make more progress this weekend, again, if the weather cooperates.

Ahead Warp Factor One!

Steve

Dingbat

Postby Dingbat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Thats a great idea on the sauser locator pins/sockets! I just dremmeled all but the rear sockets out and shaved down the pins. Hopfully this doesnt come back to bite me when ot comes time to glue them together!

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C working the Nacelles

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Greetings,

Dingbat wrote:Thats a great idea on the sauser locator pins/sockets! I just dremmeled all but the rear sockets out and shaved down the pins. Hopfully this doesnt come back to bite me when ot comes time to glue them together!

Hey, Ding, Thanks! Yeah me too. I took out some puns on my Protector and it made for a precarious fitting. Hope for the best!

All,
While I was at IPMS San Antonio, I had the priviledge of meeting Ralph from TenaControls. He is very friendly and professional in his manner.
Because he was a the show, he was offering discounts for his items and I didn't have to pay S&H, either.So I picked up a "typical" Federation flasher unit
for the C. I thought I was gonna use it on the 1/350 TOS E, but I already bought the light kit for it, so I decided to use it on the C.

BTW, I also picked up the TenaControls kit for the JJPrise. I'm so excited!!

I still have to make my own internal lighting for the engines and the hull, but the flasher unit is no longer a hold up; or at least so I thought until
I opened it up! It's the parts and pieces and I have to solder it together. OKay, breathe!

I figured it out on the breadboard and took a still of it. I am not sure how to post videos here but I have a video, too to show you the lights in action.
I happened to catch the strobes mid-flash so it looks like the are steady-on, but none of them are. It's gonna be a mind bender to figure out how to wire
this together when the lights may be so far apart on the model.

Image20180223_204441

I have the nacelle inserts from DLM and, while they are awesome, they kind limit my options for lighting and routing the wires. I reduced the front of the insert
to allow room for the red LEDs for the Bussard Collectors. The lower one is reduced and the upper is as shipped. The anterior of the insert does provide some lighting
to create the illusion of depth of the interior of the nacelle.

Image20180224_142646

So I'm thinking of putting up a partition with reflective tape toward the insert and light with light-blocking
toward the bussard collector (BC).

Image20180224_154803

I was thinking about making a light diffusser for the BC, but the DLM part already does a great job of that. So, the part I was going to use as a diffuser is probably now going
to be an LED holder instead; I'll just have to move the partitian back a little and modify the LED lenses to spread the light a bit.

Image20180224_154923

I also modified the Nacelles to accept the wires for the lights. Interesting side note: the nacelles are keyed to make sure they are assembled correctly and so they seat level. I'm impressed!
So I had to be careful where I was drilling in order to preserve the keys.

Image20180224_153931

I then modified the nacelle supports to accept the 30AWG magnet wire from the secondary hull to the nacelles. I did a dry fit to see if the wires would come through; they did.

Image20180224_154556

This shot is looking into the secondary hull from the deflector dish. As you can see, I modded the supports to accept wires to the nacelles. The issue is, I would like to put a strobe, via FO in the rear
near the Shuttlebay. This could be easy (in my dreams) or difficult (more likely) to put together. It could be like my Protector; I have to put it in oned side and then glue the other to it.

Image20180224_155101

Once I get the strobes and the steady-on lighting figured, I can reapply light blocking, close the clamshell, and start painting.

Thanks for comments and suggestions!

Steady as she goes!

Steve

Dingbat

Postby Dingbat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:27 am

I like the direction you're going with the nacell lighting! Are the DLM bussard colectors cast solid? The more I look at his offerings the more I wish I had bought some of his parts. I WILL get his nebula conversion someday (wether my Admiral aproves or not).

The strobe at in the stern sounds challenging, but Im sure you could pull it off. Working from the deflector dish opening will be like puting a ship in a bottle!

Keep up the good work! Shes coming along nicely!

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:53 pm

Go Steve! Love the progress shots
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:36 am

el gato wrote:Go Steve! Love the progress shots

Many thanks, El Gato!

Dingbat wrote: Are the DLM bussard colectors cast solid?

The strobe at in the stern sounds challenging, but Im sure you could pull it off. Working from the deflector dish opening will be like puting a ship in a bottle!

Keep up the good work! Shes coming along nicely!

Thanks, Ding!

Word of caution: ALWAYS get approval from the Admiralty! 31 years has taught me that lesson! :lol:

Yes his parts are solid. I did a dry fitting with this result!

Keep going on yours, I'm learning lots!

Steve
Attachments
20180301_111715.jpg

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby kobayashimaru » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:21 am

that is one diffuse bussard :D

quick question;
from the breadboard shot - it looks as though these are mMEDs or MED, and not 'static LED'/single-display-state LED
does that mean then that this is a color-change bussard? :D

Return to “1/1400”