Starcrafts 1/1400 scale Miranda class

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Starcrafts 1/1400 scale Miranda class

Post by novahobbies »

For those who saw the Phobos thread, you saw a quick snap of the ship I am building alongside it -- the Miranda class resin kit from Starcrafts. I've had one for a while which you can see here, but I've been itching to redo all my movie era kits with some more interesting aztec patterns. So I just decided to buy a new kit.

I downloaded the pendragon decals and rescaled them to fit this kit. This worked for SOME of the decals, but not many. Much of the work you'll see here is a mish-mash of his decals and my work that was completely redrawn. For instance, the decals for the bottom of the hull had to be redone almost 100% because the grid he used didn't match up at all to the resin lines of the Starcrafts model.

Here we are getting started!
1.jpg
Now the decals for the rollbar were beautiful...almost perfect with no modification. The decals for the actual photorp pod, though....not so much. I made it work. :-)
3.jpg
Here it is as a size comparison to the Phobos photorp pod. Did not realize how much smaller the phobos' pod was.
4.jpg
The saucer top is getting close....
5.jpg
Saucer bottom needed a lot of work re-drawing and resizing.
6.jpg
7.jpg
At this point, I started in on some of the actual kit decals. Here's that Knox class that may or may not ever get built sitting next to the Brattain, looking all sad and lonely in her primered state.
8.jpg
Notice something wrong here?
9.jpg
I didn't, obviously, since I happily slapped that decal on the ship. Thankfully some eagle-eyes gent on Facebook noticied it was mispelled. "But it's supposed to be mispelled," quoth I, getting ready to argue the screen accurate "Brittain" vs "Brattain" that we all know. Turns out he did too. "I know that," he responded, "but your decal says USS BrittIAn. The I and A are transposed."
Well, sh*t. So it is. So I had to redraw that decal. And I figured, what the heck....let's return this ship to the name she was SUPPOSED to have. Ladies and Gents, I give you the USS Brattain:
10.jpg
Here;s where I am right now -- pinstriping. Lots and lots of pinstriping.
11.jpg
And that's it for now! There's not too much left to do on this kit. I have some detail painting to do, a bit of weathering, and that's about it. Pics will be updated as I move along....
Attachments
2.jpg
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Starcrafts 1/1400 scale Miranda class

Post by Tesral »

Looking at some nice work here.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Post by Kratok »

Nice to see some posts in the 1400 section.

Nice work. I'm holding off on some of my Reliant kits a bit longer, hoping that the Excelsior wallpaper decals are doing well for StarCrafts, and that he releases the Enterprise-A and Reliant decals at some point in the future.

But I love what you have done here!
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

This turned out to be a good decal weekend for both ships. My eyes hate me, but I'm happy with the results so far. The Brattain had a lot of detail painting that had to be done...much more than I originally thought, but hey, that's how it goes. The Luna didn't need hardly anything so it balanced out. Here she is with detail painting about halfway done. I've used Duck Egg Blue, Light Gray, Haze Gray, and Sea Blue-Gray for my accent colors here and there. Here she is with much of the detail work wrapped up, but I'm still messing with the deflector crystal:
12.jpg
Deflectors cleaned up a bit and the light blue top is looking better. I went in with a black wash to weather some details in those shuttlebay equipment trenches. Also, you can see in this picture that I used an officer's lounge for the B/C deck on this kit. Why did I? Well, I'll tell you.

My model, my decision. ;-) I like the way it looks. And it fits.
13.jpg
More black washes bring out the details in the beautiful photorp area. Also, since Starcrafts' kit has indented exhaust vents in the rollbar, I used a thinned black to get that picked out as well.
14.jpg
And final assembly begins....
15.jpg
Getting down to the wire. Need to start thinking of a good stand. I don't mind the standard "model-on-a-stick" convention, but I prefer the stand to be, at the very least, pertinent to the model it's displaying. Like the Crusader here.
20170801_204150.jpg
Final pictures should be this week. WOOHOO! The first two models of the year....and it only took me a year to build 'em! :lol:
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

We're done. Just needs a base and a clear coat. Hope you like!
20180124_100949.jpg
20180124_101039.jpg
20180124_100743.jpg
20180124_100858.jpg
SKO
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by SKO »

novahobbies wrote:We're done. Just needs a base and a clear coat. Hope you like!
20180124_100949.jpg
20180124_101039.jpg
20180124_100743.jpg
20180124_100858.jpg
Wow that’s good stuff
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Thank you kindly. I'm trying to decide how I want her based up. I bought a square wood plaque from the local craft store last night. Somewhat tempted to do the "Eyes in the dark" thing that Troi was floating though. Otherwise I may do a space scene with that binary star system the Brattain was stuck at. Anyone remember the name of the star system? I tried googling it and did not see it.

As the floaty-Troi scene was a bit hokey, I'm leaning towards the binary stars. The theme still follows.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

novahobbies wrote:Thank you kindly. I'm trying to decide how I want her based up. I bought a square wood plaque from the local craft store last night. Somewhat tempted to do the "Eyes in the dark" thing that Troi was floating though. Otherwise I may do a space scene with that binary star system the Brattain was stuck at. Anyone remember the name of the star system? I tried googling it and did not see it.

As the floaty-Troi scene was a bit hokey, I'm leaning towards the binary stars. The theme still follows.
Qouted from memory alpha
In mid-2367, the Brattain was trapped in a Tyken's Rift near an uncharted binary star system, when it sent a distress call.....
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Return to “1/1400”