1/1400 Birds of Prey & K'tinga

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

1/1400 Birds of Prey & K'tinga

Post by novahobbies » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:23 pm

I finally got around to finishing the bases for the two Federation Models BoPs, and I'm testing out decals for the Ravenstar K'tinga. So far I'm not *really* loving the decals, but I'm going to withhold judgement until it's all done. These images still have the decal setting solution on the model so it looks a little wet....but I think I'm going to five the model a light misting of base coat to tone down the toylike look of the panels, then weather accordingly.
...hey, at least the B'rels look good.

And as for the K'tinga.....

Halgebra_A6N
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: 1/1400 Birds of Prey & K'tinga

Post by Halgebra_A6N » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:10 am

Did you do any of your oil-paint technique on the K’tinga paneling?

novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 am

Halgebra_A6N wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:10 am
Did you do any of your oil-paint technique on the K’tinga paneling?
No sir. The K'tinga is very much a WIP and as of right now has wallpaper decals and that's it. I'm quite a ways away from finishing that one.

RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:14 pm

Looking awesome! I love it!!!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Markus
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by Markus » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:06 pm

Superb! That is a formidable formation!

I love the decals and paint job on the K'tinga, even if it is still a work in progress. I don't mind the high contrast clean look on a ship that's probably factory fresh and hasn't taken any trips through planetary atmospheres or stellar coronas (yet). :)

novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:01 pm

Just a quick couple shots of the Tiny'tinga while I experiment with paint. I'm trying to do a TMP era paint job as much as I can with these. It's a little challenging at this scale, but coming together little by little.

That bulkhead color is particularly interesting. It's a total taint color. 'taint green....'taint tan.....'taint purple.....but it's some weird color in between all of those. The first one I tried was way too purple (but I'm keeping it for that model to just be a variant) but this one looks okay I think. The grey I picked is very 'bright' right now but it will settle down with some washes.

SKO
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SKO » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:32 pm

These all look great. Is there anyone with a 1/1400 Ktinga still in production?

novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:30 pm

SKO wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:32 pm
Actually, yes, you can get a 1400 K'tinga from Shapeways using the company Starship Sprockets. It won't be cheap I'm afraid, but the detail is beautiful. The Ravenstar kit shows up on Ebay every once in a while, but it's long OOP. I'm fortunate enough to have a few of them.

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:29 pm

novahobbies wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:30 pm
SKO wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:32 pm
Actually, yes, you can get a 1400 K'tinga from Shapeways using the company Starship Sprockets. It won't be cheap I'm afraid, but the detail is beautiful. The Ravenstar kit shows up on Ebay every once in a while, but it's long OOP. I'm fortunate enough to have a few of them.
Yeah, well guess who has the Ravenstar pattern? I also have started the decals like what you've done here, and like what I see. Was looking at trying to make additional parts for the Q-1 version, but want to get the K'Tinga finished first. Not sure when this will be ready for production, so if anyone wants it right now, Shapeways might be the best bet.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:48 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:29 pm
Yeah, well guess who has the Ravenstar pattern? I also have started the decals like what you've done here, and like what I see. Was looking at trying to make additional parts for the Q-1 version, but want to get the K'Tinga finished first. Not sure when this will be ready for production, so if anyone wants it right now, Shapeways might be the best bet.
Now THAT is some excellent news!! Heck, I might be down for one more when they come out. Can never have too many Klingon ships!
The Starship Sprockets one looks frickin spot on.....but with Shapeways prices (not something the designer can really control) it is a tad expensive in FUD material. It's a bit frustrating. With the proliferation of people getting into 3d printing, you'd expect prices to start dropping. But maybe that's still a few years away.

Return to “1/1400”