My version of an alternate Jefferies Battlecruiser - DONE!

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

My version of an alternate Jefferies Battlecruiser - DONE!

Post by el gato » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:40 pm

In the thread for my TOS version of the USS Kelvin I explained that with the Romulan KBoP being used up in my proto Warbird design I needed to do something else with the Connie and D-7. This is what I came up with for the Klingon Battlecruiser. If you own the book, "The Art of Star Trek" you would have seen this sketch of one of Jefferies alternative designs for the D-7:

So here we go. I was going to use all of the parts for this kitbash. First thing I did was cut off the piece that connected the pylons to the body. Second was to sand down the pylons so that they were flush instead of at an angle. I marked where they would rest on the body and marked where I needed to drill supporting pins. I also cast a 2500 scale bridge superstructure from the new PL TOS set:

I cut off the bridge superstructure, puttied the area and sanded it smooth. If you have this kit you also know that it's a "snap tite" with horrible horrible snapping pins. Worse, because the pieces are not wide, the sockets for the pins buldge out of the underside. Those needed to be cut off, puttied and sanded smooth:

Here are the subassemblies plus the mold for the kit. In the sketch you'll notice that Jefferies had some flat piece at the end of the body's wings. I fashioned something out of corrugated sheet styrene and pieces from a donor PT Cruiser:

Back and underside. I added impulse engines and an aft photon torp piece out donor helicopter and tank models:

And I don't know how "official" this was supposed to be, but the Jefferies sketch had a much sharper angle to the head visor, so I sanded it to be more angular:

No photos yet, but I primed the body to ensure there were no flaws with the body subassembly. I have not attached the new bridge superstructure to the head because I need to straighten out the neck. I noticed that it has twisted so that the head is not parallel to the horizontal lines of the ship so I need to fix that. Once I do that I can assemble the battlecruiser. I'm giving it the designation "J Class Battlecruiser." For those who know my actual name (José), don't worry, I have not taken a deep plunge into the ego lake. The J stands for Jefferies.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.
Last edited by el gato on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: My version of an alternate Jefferies Klingon Battlecruis

Post by Moongrim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm enjoying the development so far.

So what is the Klingon word for their version of "J"? Assuming they have one.
(Yes I admit I'm not THAT much of a trekkie).

:oops:
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:01 pm

I don't know what name the Klingons call it, but according to Geoffrey Mandel, it looks like this:

Moongrim

Post by Moongrim » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Writing Klingon. And a hyperlink to it's history in PDF format.
http://www.kli.org/tlh/pIqaD.html
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:32 am

Interesting, Mandel assigns the three symbols on the battlecruiser to D, 7, and 4. The second system has the last symbol, and maybe the middle, but not the first. It may be a nonalphanumeric symbol, maybe a rank insignia meaning battlecruiser.

Forgive the thread drift. When I saw Jefferies's variation, I thought the nacelles were sitting directly on the hull. Standing off on pylons is better.

Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:04 am

NICE!
The smaller bridge gives the ship the look of a battleship.
It's turning out great so far

Maybe add in a light hull paneling once you get to the painting stage...

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:37 pm

jkb-1 wrote:Forgive the thread drift. When I saw Jefferies's variation, I thought the nacelles were sitting directly on the hull. Standing off on pylons is better.
I think what is confusing is that the perspective is off on the Jefferies sketch. The port nacelle looks like it is oriented in the manner I have it on the model. The starboard nacelle looks like the pylon is oriented towards the center and the nacelle pointing towards the wing. I had to enlist the help of Mrs. Gato to hold the pylon/nacelles in all possible combinations to see if we could replicate the sketch before we determined it was not possible to replicate it. Once we got to that point I went with what looked best/made the most sense. Having the nacelles parallel to each other retained the original look.
Jason Abbadon wrote:Maybe add in a light hull paneling once you get to the painting stage...
I hadn't thought of that, so thank you for the suggestion!
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:00 pm

el gato wrote:I had to enlist the help of Mrs. Gato to hold the pylon/nacelles in all possible combinations to see if we could replicate the sketch before we determined it was not possible to replicate it.
Still finding excuses to hold hands with her, you sly devil!

OdysseySlipways
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by OdysseySlipways » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:04 am

got an idea for another build for you to try.......

remove the bridge from the boom and give it a remote weapons pod of some sort

flip the main hull upside down and do soemthing similar with the nacelles

add onto that raised rear deck thing with a large hangar bay that extents onto and up the rear of the ship (where the rear photon torp would be).

on the rear hull section, where they sometimes add that bump/bulge, add a deck level or two to it, then a new flying bridge.

on the face of the main hull to the sides of the boom maybe add a set of torp launchers

or something like that

jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 am

Is it strange that I'm inspired by el gato's tale of his troubles more than his successful pictures?

[Link]https://plus.google.com/photos/10523730 ... 3457185777[/Link]

Thinking about twisting the nacelles and pylons, I grabbed a 1/2000 D-7 from the "Legendary Encounters" kit because it was handy, (I'm out of 2500th kits,) and because it still has the "AMT plate" running along the gutters of the roof. My idea is to run the base of the pylon along that line. Coincidently, the base of the current pylon is about the size of the plate. But the top still has to connect to the nacelle, which should run parallel to the line of flight. The result would seem to be one of those twisted-sheet things popular in 1960s architecture for roofs and such. Looking that up, the term seems to be "saddle roof," a "hyperbolic paraboloid" which is at least singly, and sometimes doubly ruled. That last is convenient; it means the plasma conduit can run in a straight pipe wherever it comes up between the front and back surfaces.

I used white glue to mushily hold two pieces of copper wire in holes in the nacelle, then threaded them through the holes in the hull into a base of clay while pushing the nacelle into the desired position. (I'm taking the top of the aft deckhouse as horizontal; a pair of pins extends that line for me to line up the nacelle.) I'll probably skin it with plastic sheet, for now I've just wrapped some tape around to see what the surface looks like... it's not absurdly curved.

I may eventually build one for my fleet. If nothing else, it's making me rethink the history of Klingon ship construction. What if early hulls had the nacelles up, later blanked that off while moving them out and down? Maybe some constructed with access plates in case they wanted to go back to the other way? Or, what if they thought they could balance four engines, and build their own Konstellation-klass? To show that, I've tilted the top nacelle, and added one below (actually, it's the one from the other side, but I fixed that in Paintshop).

Return to “1/2500”