What's in store for... aw, who's counting?

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: What's in store for... aw, who's counting?

Post by el gato » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:12 am

Back OT, the USS Tomas
2017-12-27 18.04.52.jpg
2017-12-27 18.02.46.jpg
Had I realized this, I would've replaced the resin nacelles that came with the kit with 3D printed ones or stock nacelles from the PL kits. The different widths of the nacelles bug me. Not enough to force me to redo this ship, but it is still an irritant
2017-12-27 18.00.29.jpg
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Hossfly72 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:58 am

I can't tell if it's just the photo or if there really is a blue-ish tint to the white, but I love it. What color did you use?
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.

Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:22 am

Great build, Gato... though that's a very high registry for that class.
Maybe they re-commissioned her after some emergency in the Lost Era.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Hossfly72 wrote:I can't tell if it's just the photo or if there really is a blue-ish tint to the white, but I love it. What color did you use?
Actually it's a medium grey with an ever so teeny tiny light blueish tint that the camera happened to have picked up even though by Eyeball Mk I you may or may not catch it. I'll get you the color soon. It's a rattlecan, which may or may not be good news depending on your preference.
Jason Abbadon wrote:Great build, Gato... though that's a very high registry for that class.
Maybe they re-commissioned her after some emergency in the Lost Era.
While I agree with you 100%, I've come to the realization that if the writers and PTB don't care about consistency in registry numbers for Starfleet vessels, then neither do I

RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

NoKhando
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by NoKhando » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Stunning work on the Tomas , El Gato .

From a design viewpoint , that spar for the vertical nacelle looks oddly close to the impulse engines . Still, I suppose those Starfleet designers know what they're doing ...

Oh yeah . The Oberth ..

Carry on everybody !

:oops:

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:05 pm

The difference in the nacelle width is that due to you using two outer parts on the center one?
Could a future kitbasher get away with sanding down the inside join of those two nacelles?
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

ewg1967
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by ewg1967 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:20 am

Has there been any word from Round 2 about new kits in 1:2500 scale? I've started building them and can't get enough. For Christmas I got the 7 Enterprise kit and look forward to building them. Here are some photos of my recent builds.
IMG_4174.jpg
IMG_4857.jpg
IMG_4927.jpg
IMG_4987.jpg
IMG_5013.jpg
IMG_5045.jpg

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:57 pm

NoKhando wrote:Stunning work on the Tomas , El Gato .

From a design viewpoint , that spar for the vertical nacelle looks oddly close to the impulse engines . Still, I suppose those Starfleet designers know what they're doing ...
Thank you, NoKhando. I agree, the spar is too close. I prefer those third nacelle designs with the pylon coming out of the saucer. But alas, I was working within the confines of the kit:

I suppose I could've modified it to make it more logical - structurally and theoretically - but that's crazy talk. ;) Actually, what I did do was paint the impulse engines as if there were four exhaust vents instead of the usual two. That made it better in my mind (I guess?).
mophius wrote:The difference in the nacelle width is that due to you using two outer parts on the center one?
Could a future kitbasher get away with sanding down the inside join of those two nacelles?
Actually, the center nacelle looks fine. Look at the difference in width between the port and starboard nacelles. One is definitely "fatter." Again, I used the kit nacelles instead of my own and that's my fault for not noticing earlier.
ewg1967 wrote:Has there been any word from Round 2 about new kits in 1:2500 scale? I've started building them and can't get enough. For Christmas I got the 7 Enterprise kit and look forward to building them. Here are some photos of my recent builds.
Good work on those kits ewg and welcome to AST! No word yet from R2, unfortunately. Lots and lots of speculation, though. If we could harness it as energy, we could do away with fossil fuels
Hossfly72 wrote:I can't tell if it's just the photo or if there really is a blue-ish tint to the white, but I love it. What color did you use?
It's Tamiya rattlecan TS-32 "Haze Grey," Hoss

ewg1967

Post by ewg1967 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:10 pm

el gato wrote: Good work on those kits ewg and welcome to AST! No word yet from R2, unfortunately. Lots and lots of speculation, though. If we could harness it as energy, we could do away with fossil fuels
Thanks el gato! I'm all in for doing away with fossil fuels.

Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:58 pm

Those are some great builds ewg1967!
Very tasty.

Return to “1/2500”