1:2500 SPRINGFIELD

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
Gidiot
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: 1:2500 SPRINGFIELD

Postby Gidiot » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:00 am

Kratok, Which GK company? I'm a lousy modeler and want to find good kits! I'd love to also see your Challenger and Cheyenne classes.... NOT to mention I Seriously want your Niagara kit you did that one looks sweet too.! too bad you not doing much work on them any more... I was going to ask if you did commission work :( I hope we see these made out, and that we keep getting other reference shots! (Thanks Rick!) I just wish we had a better underside shot of the Springfield... so far the best one is the Blurry one on the cup.... I think I need to "bug" Mike and Rick to see if they have that in better quality...

Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Postby Kratok » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:59 am

Gidiot wrote:Kratok, Which GK company?

I kept that vague somewhat intentionally. The answer is here in the threads if you poke around a bit. But I haven't seen him posting here much recently, know that he also has a lot of Real Life issues on his plate, and so did not shine a spotlight on him.
Gidiot wrote:I'd love to also see your Challenger and Cheyenne classes.... NOT to mention I Seriously want your Niagara kit you did that one looks sweet too.

Thank you. They were fun builds. The Niagara is not QUITE canon, but (modesty aside), I think I improved her looks a little with the few small changes I made. Challenger and Cheyenne could be kits someday. Need to get them done first, which is half the battle. I have half promised them to a caster if/when, but the recent flurry of C&Ds may have spooked anyone willing to tackle them for the near future. Truly, I figured someone would have brought out grown versions of these kits by now. That would be far superior to my humble offerings.

Gidiot wrote:I was going to ask if you did commission work?

Not generally. I have done a few specific Trek builds for folks, but nothing for years. I used to be a lot more prolific (naval, aircraft, armor, autos, Trek...), but have given away most of my collection of finished builds over time. Anything I mastered I have generally donated to someone that can make it available for others to enjoy. I have neither the time nor the interest to market things myself.

Gidiot wrote:I hope we see these made out, and that we keep getting other reference shots!

Gidiot, The AST Trek community owes you a debt of thanks for linking to those images here. I don't do Facebook, so would have missed them otherwise. You have my heartfelt thanks. No Joy here on finding the Correct Springfield pod yet, either - But I am still looking. I'm wondering if instead of Robotix it was possibly a GI Joe canopy. I'm searching those online as time permits, and will share if I happen to hit upon it. Hope that anyone who beats me to it will do the same.

Frank Fowler wrote:Do you plan to kit the Challenger and Cheyenne models? I hope so.

Hi, Frank. As above. It is always a possibility, I suppose.

Frank Fowler wrote:Always nice to see your new models.

That means a lot to me. As I have mentioned, While I am a decent modeler, I'll never make the Upper Echelon. But I like AST because it is home - even when I am not actively building. And I have always felt comfortable sharing my work here. It means a great deal to me when folks let me know in return that they enjoyed what I have shared, so Thank You.

I'm looking forward to a time I can become more active here again. In the interim, thanks for the kind words.

Gidiot
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Gidiot » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:48 am

Kratok wrote:Gidiot, The AST Trek community owes you a debt of thanks for linking to those images here. I don't do Facebook, so would have missed them otherwise. You have my heartfelt thanks. No Joy here on finding the Correct Springfield pod yet, either - But I am still looking. I'm wondering if instead of Robotix it was possibly a GI Joe canopy. I'm searching those online as time permits, and will share if I happen to hit upon it. Hope that anyone who beats me to it will do the same.

I am also looking on other toy forums as well. not much luck either. I have seen a few GI Joe ones that are similar... but not quite it... this one seems to have the hinges at the narrower part. this to me means it opens forward (flips towards the nose of the "vehicle" versus up like say the Sky Stryker). but I too am looking. Harigorasu (from littleRubberguys.com - one of the Toy forums... I swear!) thinks that there are two added features to the canopy... (I've added his thoughts in the image attached.)
Attachments
toy guy's thoughts.png
Harigorasu annotated the photo to highlight some features that are obscured by the modelmakers treatment of the part:
The two small rectangles I'm fairly certain were glued on by the model makers. (Red arrows)
Because of the paint it is hard to see the border ridge and the two small raised ridges toward the left. (Green highlight)
The hinge part of the canopy is on the right; The canopy opens forward. (Blue highlight)
toy guy's thoughts.png (49.22 KiB) Viewed 1719 times

Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Jason Abbadon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:30 am

Kratok wrote:Rise of the Zombie Thread....

The picture links to many of my threads (including this one) were broken when I changed hosting sites (several times). I have been slowly replacing them as time permits. I resurrected this thread tonight, and replaced as many of the photos as possible. However, some of the originals were lost over the intervening time. In those cases, I chose the best photos that I still had available to replace them, and edited the text as necessary.

That is why sometimes the thread reads a little weird now in some places. For instance, when Jason makes the suggestion that I put a phaser strip in a location where it is already shown in the photos. Apologies for that. But since there was some recent interest in this thread, I wanted to try to get some images back in place.

To make dredging this thread up again worthwhile, I thought I would share two final pictures.

This is one of the decal graphics I have been working on for when I get around to finishing my own copy of this model:
While this is a low-res, pixelated version of the vector master, you hopefully get the general idea. Still lots to do, but I am nibbling away at it as time permits.

I also may scratch the upper pod from the following image, which I think I like even more than the original:

That's it for now. Back to the shadows.
Carry on....

MAN! I'd soooo love to get the file of your amazing aztec decals! Are they Illustrator files? I ask because that would make a few mods easy- mainly losing the registry and lifeboats (I have custom registries and the lifeboats from JT Graphics' Amby set can't be beat).
I think the panel lines need to be toned down to mayby 60% of their current opacity too- it'd really add to the sense of scale- you reallly see almost none in the studio model.

This is NOT a critique though- I am blown away by your amazing skills! I just want to make my Springfields looks awesome- now that I'm slowly getting back into Trek models, I find I have many kits to catch up on!

Kratok

Postby Kratok » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:40 am

Hey, Jason.
Nice to have you back with us. Hope to see some more of your work - always inspiring.

I am afraid I cant afford Adobe's graphics suite/Illustrator. I use Corel Draw for my decal work. The panel lines are much thicker than they would have been on the final print. I did that just for clarity while I was working with building the different graphic layers. Lifeboats, windows, registries, etc are all in different layers so that I can remove them and lay on a new graphic for different class ships that use the same hull (and therefore aztec). Having the grid lines a little darker just helped line everything up while in progress.

The hard part for me is the NON elliptical parts of the ship. I never seem to come up with a pattern on nacelles, secondary hulls, etc that I am happy with. I lose interest, and move on. I admire your ability to conceptualize, build, and take it thru to completion. Your Fleet Wall was fantastic, and as i said, a source of inspiration.

Thanks for the comments.

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Postby Del » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:22 am

Kratok wrote:
Gidiot wrote:Kratok, Which GK company?

I kept that vague somewhat intentionally. The answer is here in the threads if you poke around a bit. But I haven't seen him posting here much recently, know that he also has a lot of Real Life issues on his plate, and so did not shine a spotlight on him.

That would be me. After a lot of busy stuff taking up my time over the past year, I am finally getting to work on molding up this stuff. Been planning to for a while, just other things keep popping up. I have both the Springfield and the New Orleans on my workbench. I'm getting some more stuff for RogueWolf (NorthTrek Creations) put into clay for molding, so I might be able to squeeze them in at the same time. I don't see them being ready for at least 2-3 months though.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

Gidiot
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Gidiot » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:10 am

Del wrote:That would be me. I don't see them being ready for at least 2-3 months though.

Well then, keep us informed! I'll be looking for them. Thanks Del and Kratok!!!

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:44 am

Del wrote:That would be me.

I presume it's not just the casting but also the decals would need to be created, correct? And would you also offer wallpaper decals to go with it?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Postby Del » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:59 am

el gato wrote:
Del wrote:That would be me.

I presume it's not just the casting but also the decals would need to be created, correct? And would you also offer wallpaper decals to go with it?

Correct, but Kratok has been a great help already in that regard. I just haven't felt comfortable with my wallpaper design work until now. Since I made the full saucer decals for the 1/1400 Phobos, I found that I'm up to the task of something more difficult.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Jason Abbadon » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:44 am

Kratok wrote:Hey, Jason.
Nice to have you back with us. Hope to see some more of your work - always inspiring.

Thanks, man! I'm still around and making stuff- I've been rocking to 1/2256th Star Wars stuff for a while now- and yes, I have all the fighters from Shapeways! Nothing like trying to detail a 5mm X-Wing!

I recently got some great printed Runabouts and I'm decaling them this week-they even have the rollbar weapons pod!

I need to dig up my Springfield kits and build them up- but I'd want to use JT Graphics' amazing Amby lifeboats (they're opaque!) over a light grey-blue hull.
I'm torn on aztec patterns for the Springfield- you'd almost see none of it at this scale if it were onscreen- but making the decals at maybe 30% opacity would look great and have a good scale effect, I think.

I leave the aztec off smaller ships like the Refit- it just looks like a toy to me when you can hardly see that stuff on the studio model!

Return to “1/2500”