My use for 1/2500 models (And...how do I build a Venture?)

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
GreenMan2814
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

My use for 1/2500 models (And...how do I build a Venture?)

Post by GreenMan2814 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:14 pm

Hello...I'm glad I finally adjusted my spam filter to activate my account.

I've been lurking and reading almost everyone's tips to start my journey into 1/2500 models for the Wizkids Games' Star Trek: Attack Wing. So far, I've built some ships for the TOS but am now working on my 4th Constitution class ship. I'm improving my skills with every attempt so I'll only start the Big-E once I feel confident in my abilities.

All that said, does anybody know where I can get dorsal phaser banks for a Galaxy-Class ship's nacelles? I'm forecasting a build of the USS Venture in the mid-far future.
USS_Venture.jpg
USS_Venture.jpg (24.68 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
Overhead.jpg
Nimbus 3.jpg

Scotchyn
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: My use for 1/2500 models (And...how do I build a Venture

Post by Scotchyn » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:24 pm

glad your taking the plunge!! as far as the pieces you are looking for they are only available with the VA Minis Dreadnaught Galaxy upgrade kit. It has been available at Federation Models...but havent checked in a while...

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:59 pm

I believe the kit is available through fedmodels still, but I remember it was a hassle getting the kit from them after I ordered it. There were many phonecalls and Emails, since I believe there was an availability issue My suggestion though, scratch build the pieces for them. the VA minis kit nacelle phasers seem like they're just too flat, like they were made from sheet styrene and cast in resin. If I knew that I wouldn't have even bought the kit. The rest of the kit is boss, though if you want a future enterprise - d build.

MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by MEATLOAFr » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:23 pm

DefiantClient wrote:I believe the kit is available through fedmodels still, but I remember it was a hassle getting the kit from them after I ordered it. There were many phonecalls and Emails, since I believe there was an availability issue My suggestion though, scratch build the pieces for them. the VA minis kit nacelle phasers seem like they're just too flat, like they were made from sheet styrene and cast in resin. If I knew that I wouldn't have even bought the kit. The rest of the kit is boss, though if you want a future enterprise - d build.
there were lower strips in that kit? I never got anything other than a few slips of styrene - nothing resembling the lower phasers, the fins for it were laughable... at best

I didn't care much for that "upgrade" kit, traded it for something years later after I got the 1400 scale one
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:36 pm

MEATLOAFr wrote:
DefiantClient wrote:I believe the kit is available through fedmodels still, but I remember it was a hassle getting the kit from them after I ordered it. There were many phonecalls and Emails, since I believe there was an availability issue My suggestion though, scratch build the pieces for them. the VA minis kit nacelle phasers seem like they're just too flat, like they were made from sheet styrene and cast in resin. If I knew that I wouldn't have even bought the kit. The rest of the kit is boss, though if you want a future enterprise - d build.
there were lower strips in that kit? I never got anything other than a few slips of styrene - nothing resembling the lower phasers, the fins for it were laughable... at best

I didn't care much for that "upgrade" kit, traded it for something years later after I got the 1400 scale one
I'm basically going to use the 1400 to upgrade my 2500 VA Mini "upgrade" because, yeah, it's laughable. and you have to laugh because the disappointment will turn to a vortex of doom and depression that'll suck you in if you're not too careful. The Starcrafts' 1400 version is a piece of beauty. The other one is a piece of something else.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:35 am

Sweet, thanks for sharing!
Great to see a fellow ST:AW/ST:Tactics (or Fleet Captains) player, and in 1/2500 too!
You and Boss (B6R7) might have a bit in common, gaming ST:AW at the larger scale. I personally went toward 1:4848.48* after the local group at the local games store went that route and made compelling arguments; just for ease of logistics and all.

digression aside,
To the question at hand, how to customise that nacelle for your venture type,
maybe photoetch sheets from other model kits are your friend here, for that thin phaser-strip look.
if other options aren't viable, maybe you could use the 'custom nacelle technique' from the construction thread to build that oval shape, and for the undulating surface, perhaps the seal from a milkbottle/PET sealed bottle or a small ziptie could provide generic undulated texture for a phaser strip?
or perhaps those undulated surfaces could be used to make a basic negative mold?

if cost effectiveness is a key constraint, maybe something from your local 3D print community might be a way to go? 3D hubs, that sorta route.

Maybe you could just order a 0.1mm thickness undulated section from a local 3D printer?

in any event,
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with and maybe some STAW battle reports,
and especially how you approach Big E in 1/2500 :D

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Another way to create that hump, assuming you feel comfortable doing it and have the materials, is to sculpt it. I would recommend Aves. I think that there's no difference between the port and starboard humps. If you wanted to ensure both were symmetrical, then sculpt one hump, mold it and cast two pieces.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:00 pm

MEATLOAFr wrote:

Not sure where you got that I was talking about the lower phasers on the pylons. Yes, mine were styrene cutouts as well. I'm referring to the phaser and "hump" on the nacelle. For reference, OP was talking about converting a USS Venture, which had "backwards" AGT future Enterprise D phasers on the nacelles like in the picture.

GreenMan2814
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by GreenMan2814 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:33 pm

el gato wrote:Another way to create that hump, assuming you feel comfortable doing it and have the materials, is to sculpt it. I would recommend Aves. I think that there's no difference between the port and starboard humps. If you wanted to ensure both were symmetrical, then sculpt one hump, mold it and cast two pieces.
Thanks for the advice...although molding and then casting is beyond my ability as a modeler at the moment (a man has to know his limits). While I'm improving with every TOS Connie I build, I think sculpting is a ways off.

And yes...I'm looking for the dorsal phaser banks that mount onto the nacelles. Yes they look like humps so my preference is to not use decals. I did not realize they were the Future Enterprise phaser banks turned around (thought they were identical). On the Fed Models site, it shows that VA Miniatures produces a FE conversion kit for $45. I just don't want to spend that coin as I'm only looking for two humps.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:24 am

And, as I said, the detail is lacking in that VA miniatures FE conversion.

If you're not comfortable with sculpting, may I suggest you try building one with sheet styrene? RogueWolf has a couple of threads on nacelle building in the Construction forum. His tips include building up by terracing with sheet styrene, filling in with putty or bondo and sanding until you get a nice curved surface. In the first thread he also has a post that shows how to get a curved surface. Obviously you're not building a nacelle, but the same tips can help you with creating a hump of your own.

If you're willing to wait a couple of months, I can make castings from my set and send 'em to you. I didn't offer that earlier because I was in the middle of a move and who knows where my stuff was. Things are a little settled now.

Return to “1/2500”