Nomad Class Warp-Capable Portable Drydock

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Nomad Class Warp-Capable Portable Drydock

Post by Lonewolf »

Thanks for all the kind words, and I'm enjoying that you are all debating the aspects of the design. It's making this even more fun for me! :D

The Nomad is designed to get in, pick up the damaged ship, and get out. It can then go into orbit someplace safe to do enough repairs to allow the ship to proceed under its own power to the nearest starbase/spacedock for complete repairs. Basically, it's a warp-capable "band-aid" for starships. This gives Starfleet the chance to try to save the ship, rather than abandoning it in space. The Nomad can also pick up ships that are critically damaged, but that might have salvage options available.

I decided that some sort of "lifting equipment" would be needed in the drydock, and that not everything can easily be done with tractor beams. Besides, to access every area in the bay, you'd need multiple emitters, and they become a pain in the backside at times, especially when there's a ship docked for repairs. That effectively cuts off half of the bay's possible emitters. They're also a big drain on the ship's power reserves.

So, the Onge has a couple main emitters for assisting in the docking of disabled craft, but the other "moving" and "lifting" is done by the cranes. You can also think of them as "manipulator arms" like the space shuttle, for moving things around. In this case, having to replace a complete warp nacelle alone is a huge task, never mind the damage to the saucer section. "Lifting" the warp nacelle into position is difficult enough with the mass of the nacelle, but it also has to be held in position for fitting. Hence the use of the crane.

There's no reason why emitters can't be in the ends of the cranes, but they'd be used more for keeping things in position than moving something. In theory, with the way the cranes are mounted, they don't pivot - they're placed as if they move back and forth on tracks under the lip of the drydock. I placed them as if they are the gigantic overhead cranes you see in Earth-based shipyards. They move back and forth and pretty much just lift and lower. There's no pivoting. Therefore, the emitters would be straight line at the tips only, either outboard or down, with no "arc" for moving things.

With the way the Payne will be docked, one crane (port side) will be in place over the ship, getting ready to start repair work. The starboard side crane is in its stowed position, forward and almost against the aft bulkhead that forms the aft walls of the living/fabrication areas of the ship. If needed, the starboard crane could slide down the rails and be moved into position from that side, to provide additional support for the repairs.

Drop_Bear: Have at it! This is something that struck me one day while I was at Michael's, and I saw the UDT Boat kit. I'd never really thought of building something like this before I saw what became the donor kit. I'm making this up as I go!

Also, yes, the "cranes" are actually catapults, as in seaplane catapults. I wanted something that looked like a crane structure, but in 1:2500 there's nothing that would work that wouldn't be so fragile it would break when a mosquito farted within five miles. So I went looking on eBay for PE sets that would work. I was incorrect about the catapult source, though. The "cranes" are from the Hasegawa 1:700 WWII IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Battleship catapult set. The smaller parts mounted to the sides of the bay are from the Lion Roar LE700161 WWII US Navy CG Catapults set. I bought the sets back in March, so I had to go back through my eBay purchase history to find the details about them.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear »

Interesting. I thought along the same lines as you when trying to work out how those cranes would work. That would make them very simple and very robust; desirable attributes for a piece of equipment aboard a workhorse like the Onge. Thanks for going to the trouble of looking up what kit they came from.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

You are quite welcome. The PE sets were both purchased as aftermarket sets, and did not come with any specific model kit.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Thanks!

I only have one correction. The Onge is not based on a D-Day landing craft. The base kit is a Revell 1:35 UDT (Underwater Demolitions Team) Boat. This is the version that I used:

But it was also issued in this format:

Here's how it would look if I built it the way it was intended. You can easily see where I performed surgery to open up the section of the repair bay. The midships engine box was removed and became the area where the lower bay appears for the Onge.

Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

One slight setback, and a heads-up for folks ordering any of the Gizmotron 1:2500 Constitution Class Hull Plating Decals. The sets that I received were printed on WHITE decal paper, as opposed to CLEAR decal paper that has been used in the past. There's nothing on the Federation Models website that indicates the decals are printed on white decal paper, but it would have been very nice to know this in advance.

This is the set:

Anyway, I've had to repaint the Payne to make her more "white" than I usually do, but I just finished off the detail painting about 15 minutes ago after brush-painting her with a coat of my custom Tamiya White/Sky Gray mixture that I use for all my TMP-era ships.

Also, I noticed an omission on this set, as no warp nacelle pylon decals are included. You can see them on the Enterprise set below, but the generic Constitution Class set doesn't include them any longer. Fortunately, I have a spare set left over from a build from last year.

I guess in the future I'll only order the Enterprise sets, as long as they are printed on clear decal paper. Another option, but one that will be a PITA, would be to scan the Constitution set I have, and print it on clear decal paper myself. I might end up going that route on future builds.
DeadHead
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by DeadHead »

This is an awesome and creative build! I look forward to more pics.
If I remember correctly, it worked the last time we did this. Unless it didn't.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Lonewolf wrote:One slight setback, and a heads-up for folks ordering any of the Gizmotron 1:2500 Constitution Class Hull Plating Decals. The sets that I received were printed on WHITE decal paper, as opposed to CLEAR decal paper that has been used in the past. There's nothing on the Federation Models website that indicates the decals are printed on white decal paper, but it would have been very nice to know this in advance.

This is the set:

Anyway, I've had to repaint the Payne to make her more "white" than I usually do, but I just finished off the detail painting about 15 minutes ago after brush-painting her with a coat of my custom Tamiya White/Sky Gray mixture that I use for all my TMP-era ships.

Also, I noticed an omission on this set, as no warp nacelle pylon decals are included. You can see them on the Enterprise set below, but the generic Constitution Class set doesn't include them any longer. Fortunately, I have a spare set left over from a build from last year.

I guess in the future I'll only order the Enterprise sets, as long as they are printed on clear decal paper. Another option, but one that will be a PITA, would be to scan the Constitution set I have, and print it on clear decal paper myself. I might end up going that route on future builds.
I have the top set I was going to use for one of my builds. Thanks for the heads up on the decal paper and lack of pylon detail decals...
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

You're welcome. I also want to say . . . . this set is a royal PITA!!!

I'm using Micro Set with almost every decal I'm putting on the Payne. Yes, her name's Payne and she's being one! :oops: :oops: :shock: :shock:

The upper and lower saucer weren't too bad, but the sides of the secondary hull are giving me fits! The decals are very thick, and it's taking multiple applications of Micro Set to even get them to lay down and stay put. The starboard decal is in place, but I'm thinking I might make some small vertical cuts for the port side to attempt to get it to settle down a little better. If it doesn't work, that's the side with the mounting peg in it, so it will mostly be hidden anyway.

I think that I'm going to order one more set of these, and a set or two of the Enterprise decals. When I get them, I'm planning on scanning them at high resolution and printing them on my own clear decal paper for any future projects.

The Onge (pronounced Onj, by the way) is done except for the remainder of the upper decals on the warp nacelles, and the nacelle registry numbers. I pieced together the letters for the name on the upper saucer and fantail earlier tonight. Well, I guess last night, because its 0300 by my computer clock, and I'm still up.

I'll get photos taken as soon as I get a chance. Once the decals are dry, I have to seal them with a coat of Future, then a final flat coat over some weathering. I need to scuff up the bay a bit, and add some external dings and dents.

Once I get the decals done, I'm going to sprint through getting the smaller embarked craft done.

Thanks again for looking and commenting! This has been fun!
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear »

Hey, it's fun watching this come together. What is it about watching others do things that is so enjoyable? Who knows. For some reason, whenever you mention the USS Payne I am reminded of one (fictional) Major Benson Winifred Payne. :lol:
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Another late night of decal work. I went to bed around 11:30, when we got home from watching the fireworks at Cascades Park here in Jackson. Woke up at 2:30, one of those "snapped wide awake" type things. I figured there was no point in laying awake in bed, so I got up and I'm in the hobby room now, finishing off the decal work.

The Onge is done, except for the registry numbers on the warp nacelles. I'll do those in a little while. I just applied the top decals to the warp nacelles (the blue Excelsior vents) and they're settling down under a coat of Micro Set now. Gotta wait for those to dry before I can go any further. When that's done, she'll get a coat of Future to seal in the decals, then weathering before a final coat of Tamiya Flat Base/Future to knock down the shine.

The Payne is coming along, but slowly. I have maybe a dozen decals left to apply (saucer rim and windows, blue panels around the navigational deflectors, and the warp nacelle stuff).

The biggest advance, though, is for the four embarked craft that will reside in the Onge's work spaces I just attached the four small ships to double-rolled Tamiya tape and hit them with their first coat of primer. So, it looks like I'll be able to work on those while I'm waiting for other decals to dry and set.

But for now, I'm gonna cue up the next episode of Planetes and watch that. A friend of mine loaned me his DVD set of the series years ago, and I really liked it when I watched it. I finally got my own DVD set a couple months ago. I'm on disc 2 now, and I think I'm on episode 9 or 10, so I'll probably just finish the disc before I swivel around and go back to the bench (a whole 3 feet from where I'm sitting right now).

I'll try to get photos taken and posted tomorrow or Sunday. We have to go to a party for my identical twin nephews at 3:00 today (Saturday). I can't imagine where the time has gone. They turned 16 on July 3. The even bigger shock is that my eldest daughter is five months younger than they are, with a birthday in November. There's no WAY my baby can be turning 16. Where the frack does the time go?? :oops: :cry:

Return to “1/2500”