1/2500 Romulan Bird of Prey and Romulan D7 Battlecruiser

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

1/2500 Romulan Bird of Prey and Romulan D7 Battlecruiser

Post by DefiantClient » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:08 am

Hey all, me again. I decided to tackle a couple of my many 1/2500 ships from R2 with what I think are some easy-ish projects.

Obviously the Bird of Prey is going to be Romulan, but just before I made this thread, I was thinking of maybe freehanding a small bird on the hull of the D7, making it Romulan. However, I'm still not 100%, hence the undecided part of the title. Shouldn't be too hard. Matching the orange paint to the Bird of Prey decal's colors should be harder.

First progress shot. Still needs some filling and sanding, especially the top of the D7. After that, I'm hoping the Bird of Prey would be finished quick first so I can get some reference if I decide to make the D7 Romulan.
Last edited by DefiantClient on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: 1/2500 Romulan Bird of Prey and Undecided D7 Battlecruis

Post by el gato » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:17 am

There are all sorts of birds you can copy fr your D7 to make it a Rommie ship. I intend to do all of these markings... someday...
RV11RM.jpg
gk_122412_rom_h3.jpg
SFD25B.jpg
1131-11412.jpg
08-18d.jpg
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:24 am

The second image is more what I want to do freehand on the secondary hull, but smaller and a bit similar to the one on the RBOP. I don't think I'll be detailing the boom or primary hull, but the top of the secondary hull will probably have something similar to those TAS markings, but more feathery.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:39 am

Sounds like you want to replicate the bird on the third pic, right hand side in the middle
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:47 am

Sort of. I want the wings to sweep back along the lines of the hull like the second pic. The size will be similar to what you pointed out though. maybe a little bigger. Hell, maybe I'll go insane and just make it comparable in size to the one in the second picture. :lol:

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:51 am

Thinking with little sleep and waaaay past my bedtime, I can think that sweeping the wings back along the lines of the hull, you'll end up with pretty thin wings in order to accommodate the head. Or maybe the shoulders hunch up like this...

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:38 am

Oh, I'm up too. My last model was made at these wee hours.

That pic is almost perfectly what I was thinking. I might try for pretty much that exact design.

Edit: Okay, I decided it's definitely going to be a Romulan D7 Battlecruiser.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: 1/2500 Romulan Bird of Prey and Romulan D7 Battlecruiser

Post by Drop_Bear » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:20 am

DefiantClient wrote:Edit: Okay, I decided it's definitely going to be a Romulan D7 Battlecruiser.
Cool! It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: 1/2500 Romulan Bird of Prey and Romulan D7 Battlecruiser

Post by el gato » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:49 pm

Modify at will
wz-rcl1.jpg
Not to be confused with "fire at will"

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:34 am

el gato wrote:Image
I like this one a lot. Maybe it's just the action shot that does it for me though. Can someone rustle up a 5 view of this? Certainly, having the wings tilt downward (like the ships in Scotchyn's thread) might add more of a predatory look.

Return to “1/2500”