3D Printing Crazy

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: 3D Printing Crazy

Postby el gato » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Just looked some of them up. :eek:

Well, someday when I win the lotto maybe...
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Jason Abbadon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pm

marcnoonan wrote:The Whitestar, Sulaco and Daeadalus are all spot on for 1/2500 for what was shown on screen, not the technical manual sizes. At 225m you couldn't even get a F-302 through the door, let alone park a 90m Wraith Transport in there with room to spare. There's a 120 page thread on Gateworld and using Sam (when she gets picked up in the hanger), the F-302's & Puddle Jumpers exiting and the Wraith Transport, as well as the hanger shots with rows of F-302s parked either side and they all came to around 570m. Bar, who modelled this, did it from the screen dimensions before the technical manual or wherever the 225m was stated. The Sulaco size has the same issue, at the stated 375m the Dropships don't fit through the hanger door as it's twice the size. The kit manufacturer got the size right with the 1/2400 model, maths seconded it and then some twat decided to put 375m in the book. So get yourself a Daedalus and know that maths is behind you and then you can get the F-302's to go with it and it'll look exactly like it does on screen.

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

There's only 1000 of each of the versions (radio tower) of the Yamato Roger Young. Took me 3 years to track that one down to a toy shop in Malaysia as I didn't want to pay the $400+ that the one available one was going for on ebay 8 years ago.

I was broke a month ago when a Yamato Roger Young went for $150 on eBay.... :cry:

I've had feelers out for a Deadalus for months with no luck.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:32 pm

marcnoonan wrote:If you hadn't noticed the Saturn 5 has lost the antennae on the top. It'll have been broken off during postage and should be in the zip-lock bag.

In my role as Captain Pedantic Space Bunny.

It is not an antenna. That is the escape rocket. Should something go totally wrong on the pad or early in the launch,, it was optimistically designed to pull the command module free and far enough away to not get involved in the kablooey.

Here is a good image of the beast during a test. It was, thankfully, never employed in its intended occupation.

Apollo_Pad_Abort_Test_-2.jpg
Apollo_Pad_Abort_Test_-2.jpg (66.36 KiB) Viewed 430 times
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Ah, so that's why it was there. I thought it was used to maneuver the command module in space. Thanks Tesral, now I know...

RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

marcnoonan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby marcnoonan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Thanks Tesral,

I too never knew. Pity they went backwards when it came to the shuttles safety.
My Shapeways Shop
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/1/2500%2 ... e-products

Gallery
http://www.shapeways.com/designer/marcnoonan
If there's any model of anything you want that's not available anywhere.....send me a PM.

Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Jason Abbadon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:31 pm

The shuttle was the most complex thing ever made by humans at the time. The Challenger disaster was NASA being stupid and ignoring their own engineers because they didn't want the bad PR if another launch cancellation during a year when Congress wanted to chop their budget.

The Discovery was destroyed by damage due to space debris in orbit, even a chip of paint zipping around the planet can kill an astronaut, so they'd shield the crew during EVA with the bottom of the shuttle.
Unfortunately, that's where it's heat shield was, and something damaged it, resulting in their deaths upon re-entry.

Space is a dangerous business.

marcnoonan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby marcnoonan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Curious Droid is awesome for obscure space info. I watch everything he does.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLOCQw5s9Uw
My Shapeways Shop
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/1/2500%2 ... e-products

Gallery
http://www.shapeways.com/designer/marcnoonan
If there's any model of anything you want that's not available anywhere.....send me a PM.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Jason Abbadon wrote:
Space is a dangerous business.

It was Challenger and Columbia BTW. I grew up with the space race. Men on the Moon was my childhood and the first leg of my hope, Star Trek being the second.

I remember the Wednesday after the Challenger Disaster, my friends and I at the weekly Styilagi Air Corps meeting, it was an informal wake of sorts. Much more subdued than usual.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:52 pm

marcnoonan wrote:Thanks Tesral,

I too never knew. Pity they went backwards when it came to the shuttles safety.

I did say it was optimistic. Fortunately it never got tested for real.

ewg1967
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Postby ewg1967 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:27 pm

marcnoonan wrote:Gotta say that your painting skills are exemplary and your attention to detail is sublime....especially with the tiniest detailing and the Shuttle and Planet Express. It brings the models to a whole new level.

Thank you Marc for the nice compliments. I'm still learning and trying to improve my skills with each new build. Sometimes I feel as though I just fumbling thru though. :?

marcnoonan wrote:When you've finished painting the NASA ones, do you mind if I use your pics (Planet express too) to add to the items on my Shapeways shop?

Yes, you certainly may use my pics, I'd be honored!

marcnoonan wrote:If you enjoyed painting those I have about another 40 different 1/2500 small ships and fighters available from Trek, BSG, Stargate and especially B5.

Yes, I've seen your ships on Shapeways and have several on my wish list. I'm a huge B5 fan and hope to get many of them as well.

marcnoonan wrote:Mine are all displayed just laid on my glass coffee table, looks great but it takes me over an hour to put them back after dusting. That involves a lot of very careful pushing by fingernail to get them all to line up. If I ever get round to painting mine I plan to stick each squadron onto little squares of acetate sheet so I've only got to re-postion about 20 sets, rather than 100 or so individually. I'll have to get dusting this week, been putting it off so long they look like they're in a Nebula.

Wow, that's an amazing collection you have there! That Shadow ship is magnificent!

Return to “1/2500”